What to do after Apple's March 8 Announcement

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was delighted to see the new 27" 5K display, as I've wanted something bigger than my 21.5" screen. Also impressed with the new Mac Studio and am wondering if the Mac Studio would be a good option for gaming? Otherwise, I really do not need the power of that machine, so am also considering going with the Mac Mini and the new display or maybe wait for Mac Pro to see what that looks like. My 2013 iMac has been having issues due to running out of RAM, slowness, videos blacked out, pointer freezes, and emails do not display quickly. I also discovered you can get a 10% veterans discount which I was unaware of. I also have some concern over what will happen with Apple manufacturing in China if the Taiwan situation heats up and inflation in general, so thinking it might be time to do something now. Decisions:confused:

In that you can spec up the Mac Studio to $7999 (from $1999), I can't imagine what the Mac Pro will cost when it rolls out. I'm perfectly happy with my M1 iMac w 24" screen. If you want a bigger monitor, the Mac Mini with whatever monitor you want. The M1 is plenty faster, but from what I gather gamers always want the most CPU/GPU horsepower they can afford. It really all comes down to your budget. If you want the fastest now the Mac Studio. If you want a bigger monitor, the Mac mini w your choice of monitor. If you aren't happy with either and want to BTD, wait for a Mac Pro. Good luck.

I'm not a gamer, but I thought most gamers don't choose Macs?

Last edited:
I'm not a gamer, but I thought most gamers don't choose Macs?

That is true because they are more geared to software optimization and don't have the cpu and graphics power of PCs. Further, there are not as many games out there for Apple computers. That said, I currently do not game because I am on a Mac. As to cost, I am not that worried about blowing some dough so that is not so much a concern for me, but if the Studio would be a waste gaming wise in the future the mini would make better sense.

Finally all the Mac Studio components were delivered and got the system up and running today. Migration Assistant worked flawlessly via wifi to get all my older iMac's files and settings up on the new Mac. What has amazed me the most is the wifi speed I am getting on the Mac Studio, probably 3x faster than the 2013 iMac. I also purchased a Samsung T7 SSHD as a backup and this thing is not only fast, it's also minuscule in size. Now just have to get familiar with new features on MacOS Monterey. Here is a pic of new setup next to the old iMac.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 54
Looks great! How do you like the monitor?

I bought the LG UltraFine 5k years ago and figure I’ll upgrade to the Apple version if/when it dies.

Looks great! How do you like the monitor?

I bought the LG UltraFine 5k years ago and figure I’ll upgrade to the Apple version if/when it dies.

Love it, huge upgrade from old iMac 21.5".

Looks great. I’m jealous but I’m too cheap to spring for a Studio, my M1 iMac 24” is all I need these days…my power user days are long gone. I’m sure you’ll love the new rig!

Finally all the Mac Studio components were delivered and got the system up and running today. Migration Assistant worked flawlessly via wifi to get all my older iMac's files and settings up on the new Mac. What has amazed me the most is the wifi speed I am getting on the Mac Studio, probably 3x faster than the 2013 iMac. I also purchased a Samsung T7 SSHD as a backup and this thing is not only fast, it's also minuscule in size. Now just have to get familiar with new features on MacOS Monterey. Here is a pic of new setup next to the old iMac.

Excellent! My migration from MacBook Pro to Studio went flawlessly as well. The Studio is perfect for my needs. I'm running it on my 32" Dell monitor for now. I'm thinking about adding a 3rd external drive.

Looks great. I’m jealous but I’m too cheap to spring for a Studio, my M1 iMac 24” is all I need these days…my power user days are long gone. I’m sure you’ll love the new rig!

+1!

Let us know how the gaming goes :popcorn:

Excellent! My migration from MacBook Pro to Studio went flawlessly as well. The Studio is perfect for my needs. I'm running it on my 32" Dell monitor for now. I'm thinking about adding a 3rd external drive.

+1!

Let us know how the gaming goes :popcorn:

Thanks guys. I am very happy with this setup so far. I may try a few games, but what swayed to the Studio was a desire to get back into photography. Still researching cameras and once I get a DSLR or mirrorless, will add Lightroom and Photoshop. The Studio should be a good choice for picture editing.

Back
Top Bottom