What tool to use to remove broken wingnut?

YAY!!

I would have gone searching for the vise grips and gotten distracted, and given up on those threads...
😂

Vise grips were out from the start, since there wasn't room to maneuver. Anyway, mine don't grab anything terribly well and are always loosening while I'm trying to turn them. I must have a cheap pair, or maybe my hands aren't strong enough.

I would have gone searching for the vise grips and gotten distracted, and given up on those threads...
😂

Vise grips were out from the start, since there wasn't room to maneuver. Anyway, mine don't grab anything terribly well and are always loosening while I'm trying to turn them. I must have a cheap pair, or maybe my hands aren't strong enough.
Sorry. I should have used more smilies...
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Good job, whatever gets the job done.

There are many roads to Dublin and more than one way to skin a cat(fish).
Theoretically, a pipe with an elbow at the end could have been sealed around the problem area and filled with a NaOH (lye) solution to selectively dissolve the aluminum nut given a little time.

I none of the above suggestions would have worked, I know a cutting torch would have done it.
I had thought of that too... Of course that's only after I had used my sledgehammer...

I was hoping this would go on a little longer for the sake of science. I wanted to see what would happen if she filled the wing nut bit with a non-Newtonian fluid and used it high speed. That should be a YouTube video.

I was hoping this would go on a little longer for the sake of science. I wanted to see what would happen if she filled the wing nut bit with a non-Newtonian fluid and used it high speed. That should be a YouTube video.
An excellent idea! She could have poured it into a socket, then quickly positioned it and spun it with a drill. However, we do not know possible reactions between a non-Newtonian fluid, and an aluminum (was it really aluminum? Or was it some die-casting alloy?) wingnut.

I have previously said on this website that I would not want to be involved in any DIY project that might crack the earth's mantle... :D

Be good, or I'll send the Stooges to work on your house.

Back
Top Bottom