What was/is your dream job?

I really don't know. I have a lot of hobbies that I rotate out in in. Then pick up new ones, lose interest, move on. Not sure there is something I'd really like to do as a dream job.
+1 Some of my bosses used to talk about "finding your passion" and turning it into a job or applying it to the job you have. I envy people who can find their passion in the first place, let alone make a living at it -- they are truly blessed. I like to do lots of things, from computers to drawing, windurfing to cycling. But the interest sems to wax and wane. And I always thought turning an avocation into a vocation would spoil the avocation. Something I enjoyed would become just a job. Of course, none of those things I enjoyed were ever a real "passion" so maybe having one of those makes all the difference.

My earliest memories of answering the parental question: What do you wanna be when you grow up? Was a policeman. I am still growing up and still want to be a policeman.

As an airplane nut and private pilot, I always dreamed of being an airline pilot...I've also talked to enough airline pilots to know that for many of them, it's seldom as glamorous as my vision.

Hankster, it was great early in my career but went downhill from there with the race to the bottom. Large paycuts, furloughs, work rule changes, frozen or dissolved pension plans, regional jets, lack of restful sleep led to my early retirement. You didn't miss anything.

I had visions of being a famous painter or writer. Then I realized those occupations didn't pay.

But I still would like to fulfil those dreams in ER!

1966-1996(tossing in some jobshopper stints). Various tasks as a grunt R&D, mfg engineer on the Space Program. Of course along the way it slowly morphed into a job job and the romance/bubble faded.

The shortest was 1st summer out of high school in a logging camp working as low man on the survey crew(not choker setter thank goodness). I still remember the food and all you can eat steak night.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Successful PGA tour golfer.:cool:

Umm... I never golf, and never will. But I can't think of a gotcha here. Do golfers suffer any injuries like tennis players with their elbows? Adversaries hitting them on the head with a golf club? Hazard of stray balls? Anything?

This hits pretty close to home. I decided in my late teens that I didn't really have enough talent to make a living at art or writing. I do both for personal pleasure, while my job pays the bills.

I had visions of being a famous painter or writer. Then I realized those occupations didn't pay.

Also, I'm a bit of a ham (though not many know it), and love to run my own show (though that's hard to achieve). I have a fantasy of being a motivational speaker.

Third choice would be to do some of the jobs I've actually had, but for only about 20 hours a week :LOL::cool::rolleyes:

Amethyst

My dream job would be riding on the hurricane hunter airplanes! I am a weather junkie and would love to fly into the eye of a hurricane. That would be a dream job.

I would love to do logistics for some relief organization after natural disasters where I could make sure that the right stuff got to the right place afterwards. I've looked at Red Cross and Oxfam, but mostly they have staff jobs where you have to be in some dreary place most of the time.

I did want at one time to be a Catastrophic team insurance adjuster (me and the hurricanes, right?) but I realized it would not be conducive to any sort of home life.

Great thread!

Successful stock trader. Managing my own account only, of course (no boss, no clients...)

I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Now I'm looking to do some part time GPS/GIS data collection - preferably in the Grand Canyon

part time GPS/GIS data collection - preferably in the Grand Canyon

There is such a j*b? That does sound attractive.

Is like those people hired by Google and Mapquest to drive around on the streets of new home construction sites?

One of the reasons I became a lawyer and went into private practice is that it allowed a great deal of independence. After you are a partner you take the work you want and you do it the way you see as best. That would be fine if you could fill up 100% of your time with work you really want and you got paid 100% of the time. :)

In another life I would like to own a native plant nursery.

I wouldn't mind an home organizer business, a bit of the show Clean House without the new stuff and a bit of Mission Organization. Psychology and the enjoyment of making things orderly. What more could I ask for? But I wouldn't be thrilled with the sales aspect. And I'd need a couple of nice young men to move furniture around.

Interesting topic. Here's some thoughts:

1) Like NW-Bound, I've always said that if the job were truly fun, they could get volunteers to do it. (Note, there are a lot of volunteers working in national parks.)

The exceptions seem to be where the job requirements are so extreme that only a limited number of people can do it. (Lots of people would volunteer to play the Masters, but only a handful clear the entry requirement of having a realistic chance of playing the 72 holes at par.)

2) The book of Genesis has a good insight. Most work isn't inherently unpleasant. Adam had a job (he was the gardener) but he lived in paradise and enjoyed it. When he got kicked out, he still farmed, but suddenly he had to contend with "thorns and thistles". In a lot of jobs, the "gotcha" is other people who don't deliver when promised, or do expect the impossible, etc. I always figured they were the thorns and thistles in cubicle life.

3) Early in my career I went to an inhouse course on "career management". We did an exercise where we listed a couple dream jobs. Then, at the next session we filled out a priority list on characteristics of good jobs (time with family, high income, independence, security, travel, etc). It turned out that most people discovered their dream jobs didn't line up very well with some critical priorities. I was an exception, probably because I'm so analytical that I'd instinctively done this exercise before I picked a career.

All that aside, my personal dream jobs are: Pro Golfer (if I didn't have kids) or Philosophy Professor at a liberal arts college.

Both have high bars for admission. Nowadays, the gotcha for both could be PR work.

There is such a j*b? That does sound attractive.

Is like those people hired by Google and Mapquest to drive around on the streets of new home construction sites?

I just thought of this today as i passed a new speed limit sign and my gps's display adjusted accordingly. it would be boring, but i would def. do it....not a DREAM job tho

Well, nothing to do with my current vocation (law) that's for sure.

Things I have considered:

1. writer: I actually have half a fantasy novel which I started during the Asian crisis/SARS period and got too busy to finish

2. restaurant owner/manager: I like cooking and presenting food, but would probably not be interested in putting in the hours after I FIRE

3. working for one of the major auction houses dealing with art: no qualification but willing to spend the time. I've also considered opening my own gallery but probably couldn't justify the investment needed

4. professional sailor: at my skill level (and I'd need to brush up my skills as I haven't raced for well over a decade), it wouldn't pay but I'd do it for the fun

When I was younger I wanted to be a pilot but being red/green colour blind ruled that one out.

Some stuff you just can't make up

Katy Perry's breast-wrangler: Job of the day - Kansas City Star

Katy Perry's breast-wrangler: Job of the day

Lots of pictures floating around today of Katy Perry frolicking in a fountain on the set of her new music video for her song "Starstrukk."
But the one pic that caught our eye was this one of Katy and a guy who we assume to be her breast-handler.
Never leave home without one.

forensic scientist - like to catch the bad guys and free the innocent ones

If I could turn back the calendar a few decades, I'd like to be a telegrapher/radio operator on a ship or a telegrapher/station agent for a railroad at a rural station.

Back
Top Bottom