What3Words location app

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anybody used the what3words app to locate their precise location or that of a friend or family member?

https://what3words.com/products/what3words-app

“what3words is the easiest way to describe any precise location. It has divided the world into 3m squares and given each one a unique identifier made from three words.

what3words can be used via the free mobile app and the online map at what3words.com. There’s also an API that developers can use to integrate what3words into their own apps and platforms.

Some examples of how people use what3words are: telling friends exactly where to meet, easily entering a precise destination into a ride-hailing app, and giving their precise location over the phone to emergency services.

Businesses in travel, mobility and logistics, as well as some emergency response teams, use what3words to operate more efficiently and provide a better service.

You can find handy step-by-step instructions on how to use the what3words app here: http://what3words.com/how-to-use-the-what3words-app”

Last edited:
I have not used it, but my DD uses it and says it is useful for her. Her example was finding friends for a picnic in a large park.

I have had it downloaded for a few years after having seen a local story where a couple of folks had been carried out of the river estuary into the sea in a small boat and needed rescuing. Nighttime and foggy conditions would also hamper rescue services. Fortunately they still had a good cell phone signal and the coast guard talked to them and gave them instructions on how to download the app so they could accurately locate them.

Not actually used it yet, other than for fun.

Looks pretty cool. Can it be used to find out where I parked? [emoji16]

Easy peasy. You just have to remember to open the app when you park and take a screen shot of the 3 words. Not sure about depth though (level 1 vs vs level 11) :)

It's perfect for arranging a meet-up place where things are crowded and the area is large.

^ I thought it would be nice at a concert or county fair to find people. Stone named a beer "Fear Movie Lions" which is very near where my daughter lives.

You can always drop a pin and the rescue people can type it into their GPS. Just don't rescue me until after I finish my beer!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230119-094212-837.png
    Screenshot_20230119-094212-837.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
So, have a question, would this be a good App for people in the backcountry. Used for emergency situations or to be located by a friend in remote areas?

The link is a good youtube video, by Arlo Guthrie, explaining how What3Words works and how useful it can be. I've had the app for at least a year and think its a great idea.

So, have a question, would this be a good App for people in the backcountry. Used for emergency situations or to be located by a friend in remote areas?

Exactly. I also saw a rescue on TV where 2 young ladies were driving in Australia way off the main roads. They capsized the car and one of them was badly injured. Her friend had no idea where they were but the app pin pointed their location.

You can always drop a pin and the rescue people can type it into their GPS.

IMHO, this would be more straightforward than everyone involved downloading a 3rd party app like What3Words. Everyone I know uses Google Maps, which has built-in tools to quickly and easily share one's location data with other users.

While I love the concept of What3Words, I don't see how it's offering anything more convenient than what's already built into everyone's GPS-enabled phones. Seems like W3W would be a great acquisition for a company like Google or Apple to integrate into their GPS mapping apps.

Exactly. I also saw a rescue on TV where 2 young ladies were driving in Australia way off the main roads. They capsized the car and one of them was badly injured. Her friend had no idea where they were but the app pin pointed their location.

For me I have always had a lifeline in my pocket being in remote areas. Before I knew off GPS units, I would always leave a map for my wife and mark the spot/area I would be at when in the back country. Then very early when GPS came about, I got one in in 2001. It was very expensive handheld with an external antenna I could attach to backpack.

I use the location service with a text on my apple iPhone as my go to location lifeline now.

Set location to on > select text message contact name/number > in message box, type in I'm at / and a space > it comes up with suggestion current location > hit current location and the map comes up and pinpoints your local > send message and the map shows up plus a text also.

I have been looking at adding an app also for another option.
Thanks

I use the location service with a text on my apple iPhone as my go to location lifeline now.

Set location to on > select text message contact name/number > in message box, type in I'm at / and a space > it comes up with suggestion current location > hit current location and the map comes up and pinpoints your local > send message and the map shows up plus a text also.

I've done that a number of times when DW and I got separated while traveling. Works great!
https://osxdaily.com/2019/05/15/how-send-current-location-messages-iphone-phrase/

While I love the concept of What3Words, I don't see how it's offering anything more convenient than what's already built into everyone's GPS-enabled phones. Seems like W3W would be a great acquisition for a company like Google or Apple to integrate into their GPS mapping apps.

Presumably a gps simpleton only has to call 911 on their phone, tell them the three words, and let the 911 staff locate where were when you fell and broke your leg. I see no reason to not have multiple ways to pass on this important information.

I would not like to see W3W acquired by any big company. The odds are good it would be killed or allowed to die a slow death. Just look at the Dark Sky weather app acquired by Apple. It’s gone. And it’s replacement is not nearly as useful, IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom