What's a good target RMD annual income?

qwerty3656

Full time employment: Posting here.
If I can keep my gross income below $100k (so below 80k after standard deduction for married filing jointly which keeps me in the 12% tax bracket) with anticipated RMDs plus Social Security, I'm thinking I don't need to do any Roth conversions, etc in the early years of retirement.

Are there other income thresholds I should be worried about?

I already have a large Roth IRA (and my regular IRA is well under $1mm - if it grows to $1mm my RMDs would be under 40k per year).

You sound golden to me! Keep slowly appreciating assets in your regular IRA so it doesn’t grow fast.

Just use your RMDs as part of your income and you won’t have to pull from other sources.

Other income thresholds? The only one you’ll hit would be SS taxable threshold. But that’s a very low bar. Other post SS and Medicare thresholds are higher than $100K for MFJ.

I would still do conversions up to the top of the 12% brackets in the years before taking SS. My main reason would be to take advantage of 12% before that bracket reverts to 15%. It the bracket stays 12%, you're no worse off with the conversion.

Back
Top Bottom