What's er?

I use to think early retirement was anything short of 62. But the closer i get to my goal of 55, I'm not a fan of the term. Mostly due to the body and mind health benefits, i think the concept of retirement is becoming less attractive to me. My current goal is to be financially independent so i can move to a career/job/activity that i want to do versus one that i sort of enjoy and do for the salary.

I'm still stuck on the idea that anything before age 65 is ER. Although the Social Security goalposts have moved and it's probably anything before age 68 soon.

We are 57 now. My wife retired at 49. I worked part-time from the age of 47 to 55. That's early enough, I think. Any earlier, then we would not be able to support the two children through college and have enough for a comfortable retirement.

From post #12 in the link that REW posted:

That thread was almost 8 years ago!

I'm an EER. But as good as EER is, it does not totally prevent one from aging :)

I am IHY and missed that other thing by almost 4 years, which I guess is a lifetime if you are in your 20's!

My job was eliminated at 59. But, I had an excellent golden handshake that carried me until 62 and a full pension. We had been expecting this and had been financially prepared for several years.

Back
Top Bottom