What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F has been bringing me cheddar cheese from the grocery store when he goes grocery shopping (with mask, gloves, goggles, and all precautions).

But despite the expiration date in May, these cheeses are all a bit moldy when I get them, an hour or less after purchase. He doesn't intend to bring me slightly moldy cheese but that's what it is. It's not bad, nothing that can't easily be cut off, but still it doesn't look like it would last until mid May either.

My point is that I'd be cautious about expiration dates right now, and maybe it would be best to freeze your pork loin just in case.

Wow, W2R, I've never bought cheese that already had mold in it. I guess some expensive cheeses come with mold, on purpose, but not the basic stuff I get.

DW wanted some yeast and there was none to be found at our Neighborhood Walmart.

Yeast is a continuing problem. My sister found some yeast (plus some flour) at a walmart in her area (tarpon springs) of Florida and sent some out to us, 1700 miles away. It was a 1 lb package, which is a lot, with a 6 month expiry date. If cared for correctly Yeast can be stored for longer, but of course the yeast will let you know when it is no good anymore.

DW uses the yeast primarily for pizza dough. Previously we found some pizza yeast and pizza dough on amazon and had been using that.

They’ve been out of chicken breasts at our local Costco the past two weeks, I hadn’t noticed a shortage before then...

Wow, W2R, I've never bought cheese that already had mold in it. I guess some expensive cheeses come with mold, on purpose, but not the basic stuff I get.
Our grocery store is happy to let you buy moldy cheese, it's better than the moldy salmon.

Yeast is a continuing problem. My sister found some yeast (plus some flour) at a walmart in her area (tarpon springs) of Florida and sent some out to us, 1700 miles away. It was a 1 lb package, which is a lot, with a 6 month expiry date. If cared for correctly Yeast can be stored for longer, but of course the yeast will let you know when it is no good anymore.

DW uses the yeast primarily for pizza dough. Previously we found some pizza yeast and pizza dough on amazon and had been using that.

Keep the yeast in the fridge. I bet it will last a lot longer than the expiration date, and you'll know when it is not working as well, in which case you can just use more!

Yeast can also be frozen. I've frozen and reconstituted sourdough with no problem. I've also frozen bread dough and had it rise no problem.

Since this seems to be the cheese thread:

Some advice - Don't eat 6 year old Gorganzola before going out for an hour with an N95 mask on.

Does cash count? Saw an article saying people are hoarding cash. Cash is still king.

F has been bringing me cheddar cheese from the grocery store when he goes grocery shopping (with mask, gloves, goggles, and all precautions).

But despite the expiration date in May, these cheeses are all a bit moldy when I get them, an hour or less after purchase. He doesn't intend to bring me slightly moldy cheese but that's what it is. It's not bad, nothing that can't easily be cut off, but still it doesn't look like it would last until mid May either.
When you see stacks of perishable food sitting on the floor waiting to be re-stocked back into refrigeration/freezers, it is not surprising that there might be instances of some perishable foods going bad. It triggers my OCD seeing the curbside pickup carts holding perishable food items for quite some time out of refrigeration and the freezer.

We had a few bags of shredded Kraft cheese from the same batch according to the printed packaging codes on the bags. A few days after opening one bag, I grabbed some cheese out of the opened bag to find it had some mold. Thinking that maybe we had forgetten when we opened the bag, I went to get the other bag with the same packaging code, only to find there was mold inside despite being unopened.

We take coolers with Blue Ice to the stores for perishable foods, and I've done this for over 20 years. This is the first time I've encountered moldy shredded cheese in an unopened bag that had an expiration date out three months.

Last edited:
Was able to order yeast from Sam's Club today. Now they're out.

I've been checking 3 times a day.
This morning out-of-stock.
Today at 3 pm -- available for shipping.
Tonight at 8 -- out of stock.

I've been using the tail-end of a 2-pack from Sam's bought maybe 5 years ago. It works, but it's weak. (I froze the 2nd pack for a number of years.)

I was able to get TP a few weeks ago by checking Sam's often and buying as soon as it appeared in stock.

Yeast is a continuing problem.

I've been using a 1 lb. package of yeast kept in the freezer for a few years, and was starting to get near the bottom.

I ordered another big package from my local grocery store for curbside pickup. They were out when they filled my order and substituted baker's yeast from their bulk section. I don't think I would have thought to check there.

Where's the beef? Not at some Wendys.

Wendy's pulls burgers off menu in some locations due to meat shortage

Some Wendy's restaurants have taken their signature hamburgers off the menu, with shortages being reported at locations in California, South Carolina and Kentucky on Monday as coronavirus outbreaks continue to disrupt the meat supply chain.

A different article said that about 30% of Ohio restaurants have no beef, so it's not just limited to the above few states.

Here's an article that goes in-depth into the meat supply chain disruptions and how it's impacting us at the grocery stores and the restaurant industry:

HOW THE RETAIL MEAT SHORTAGE WILL PLAY OUT IN FOODSERVICE

Just like the problems getting TP:

About 50% of the chicken produced in the U.S. normally goes into foodservice—mostly restaurants, sports venues and colleges. One reason for the more limited supply currently in supermarkets is that some plants are set up for foodservice, processing mostly boneless and bone-in wings and other parts in high demand. “It’s hard for them to switch to retail,” says Super. “They don’t want to spend $3 million retrofitting the plant.”

Right now, there are about 1 billion pounds of chicken in cold storage, destined either for foodservice or export—another channel that has been restricted. Asian countries typically buy a lot of dark meat, “but it’s not easy to divvy up a 40-pound box of leg quarters into smaller retail packages,” says Super. All these factors are contributing to possible chicken shortages in the meat case.

Thanks for the link. Short-term self correcting as restaurant demand is down anyway. Interesting to see how quickly it comes back.

I don't think people can hoard meat as successfully as they can toilet paper. You have to freeze it, and freezer capacity is limited, even if you have a second freezer in the basement. But they can, say, triple the amount they can have on hand. I can visualize that as a one-time surge in accquisition, but, again, the quantity is going to be limited by storage.

I don’t know about others, but we filled our freezer almost 2 months ago.

There were shortages of chicken and ground beef back then.

My DW couldn't find any vitamin C. At 2 pharmacies and 2 grocery stores. Multi-vitamins were in plentiful supply.

No more meat buying from me for a while. My freezer is almost full, with pork loin, hamburger, and shrimp. Bought all of it at or below normal prices. Yesterday at the grocery store (in Pa) I saw 80% ground beef listed at $4.99 a pound !! I checked a few other meat prices, not everything, and they were the usual prices. And there was even a BOGO sale on some $6.99 beef. (meaning $3.50 per pound) Sea scallops (the big ones) are down to $17.99 a pound, from $19.99 a pound.

My DW couldn't find any vitamin C. At 2 pharmacies and 2 grocery stores. Multi-vitamins were in plentiful supply.

If she can drink 100% fruit juice, that might do in a pinch. Many of them have 100% Vitamin C. Black Forest Juicy Burst Fruit Snacks (not the gummy bears) have 100% Vitamin C.

As far as meat, an acquaintance of mine posted a picture of an empty meat counter at Sam's Club yesterday. According to news articles, they did implement purchase limits. One article said that beef and pork processing was down 40% as of Monday. Poultry isn't impacted as much, but that's the only meat I've seen in really short supply as of last week.

I buy cattle at auction in May for harvest to direct-sale customers in November. I just hope the markets (auctions) don't get shuttered.

On another note, beef producers are suffering. Cattle prices have collapsed because restaurants aren't buying. Prime cuts, the grade restaurants buy, sets the bar for all other grades ...

Participated in a cattle auction yesterday. There were NO feeder cattle to be had. "Feeder cattle" are 700-plus pound critters destined for the feedlots and then the grocery stores. Typically there is an abundant supply this time of year.

Apparently producers are holding out for higher prices

We are under the care of a holistic physician and vitamin C is a part of our regime. It's been harder and harder to get. Our last order could not be filled and we had to work with another company to get it. It was backordered, but they did ship it finally and we got it yesterday.

If you're not too concerned about the brand, Costco has been stocked so far. We get their 500mg chewables. However, since we take so much, we much prefer the buffered powder.

Our freezer is too small to "hoard" anything, and we can subsist on vegetables, lentils, rice, eggs, and milk products if we have to.

I suppose beans will be next for hoarding. (Could create a terrible situation, if you're all hunkered down in a small condo! "Pardon me if your unbearable breeze/Fogs up my goggles and buckles my knees" to paraphrase the old song)

Hmm the Amish up by the farm where we buy our eggs better start guarding their chickens!

:cool: :D :greetings10:

? Beans and veggie burgers are ok for now? Or not?

heh heh heh - will be due for a Costco run within the week. Meat counter will be interesting to see. ;)

I wonder how restaurants can make enough money if they have to reduce their seating by 50% or more. They'll have to raise prices. Eating out may become even more of a luxury than it already is.

Thanks for the link. Short-term self correcting as restaurant demand is down anyway. Interesting to see how quickly it comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom