What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even imagine how much better fresh-ground flour must taste in bread, etc. Like the difference between canned and fresh-ground coffee.

Thank God for the flour mill I bought. Always keep a bunch of wheat around and have been able to order more in a time of no flour.

Cash.

My plan (if F thinks it is OK) is to leave home this afternoon for the first time in a couple of weeks, drive to the ATM, and try to get some cash. I wonder if the ATMs are even being re-filled or not these days so I'll try to find out.

Besides, my Venza has been sitting in the garage for over a week and needs to be driven a little bit.

Why do you need cash? You can't buy anything but groceries and they take plastic, which you can clean and disinfect much easier than paper (that's been who-knows-where?).

Why do you need cash? You can't buy anything but groceries and they take plastic, which you can clean and disinfect much easier than paper (that's been who-knows-where?).
Yes, if all this ended tomorrow I would not need cash. I have $150 in my wallet, which should last me another three weeks for my lawn guy and other "cash only accepted" expenses.

After Katrina, "Cash was King". Credit cards didn't work anywhere, because the phone lines didn't work and electricity was down. For example, just try to bribe a strong back to help you, with a credit card when he has never taken them for payment and when there is no electricity and other people are waving cash in his face.

I don't know how bad this situation is going to get, but it is already worse here than I ever thought it could be and there is no end in sight. I truly hope it doesn't result in that kind of disruption, but it easily could in the worst case scenario, if enough people start croaking and not enough people report to work to maintain the infrastructure around here.

I know, I know, I'm sounding like Brewer but he isn't stupid. I had NO IDEA when I ordered two Amazon Prime Pantry boxes in February and then went grocery shopping on the 3rd (with the stores full of items and normal), that by the 10th there would be so many things impossible to find in the stores, KWIM? I have plenty of meat and cans of tuna and so on, and didn't have to fight virus infested mobs to get them. Thank you Brewer and several youtubers who were saying we should start preparing for a pandemic just in case.

One thing I do know for sure is that it won't do any harm to have a little cash around. The longer we remain on lockdown, the more I think other New Orleanians are going to start flocking to the ATM machines to get cash. And, I don't know if they are being refilled or not right now.

I can't even imagine how much better fresh-ground flour must taste in bread, etc. Like the difference between canned and fresh-ground coffee.

Yes, it is wonderful and cheap. The current situation is making me improve my baking.

We also roast our own coffee. Better than anything I can buy.

The longer we remain on lockdown, the more I think other New Orleanians are going to start flocking to the ATM machines to get cash. And, I don't know if they are being refilled or not right now.
They are being refilled! I just got back, with $800 more cash than I had, now safely squirreled away.

We have never seen so little traffic on the streets of our inner suburb. I was U-turning gleefully at places where I haven't dared attempt a U-turn for years. Lots of large 18-wheel trucks moving at relatively high speeds, though, probably delivering toilet paper and such to stores. So, I had to watch out for them. But, not that many cars. Almost all the stores are closed, but Lowes seemed to be open. I was puzzled to see that, until F reminded me that they do sell items for cleaning and sanitizing. Also the Whole Foods parking lot was full, so probably people were inside fighting over toilet paper. We didn't stop anywhere but the ATM, and at the restaurant where we had ordered take-out. They brought it to a table outside at the curb, and then left, in order to maintain some distance from the customers. Then F picked the bag up from the table and brought it to the car.

All in all, it was fun to get out of the house for the first time in over a week. I washed my hands with lots of soap thoroughly when I got home.

Have you given any thought to laundering your money? :D

:ROFLMAO: Lots of that going on in New Orleans! :2funny: Just joking.

Actually I *DID* think about how there could be viruses on the money. Filthy lucre, and all that. I think that I will handle that by putting it where I will not touch it unless I intend to get some out to spend, and then washing my hands after I do that.

I did wash the card that I used at the ATM, with soap and warm water. :) My thinking is that I touched the ATM keys with my fingers, and then touched the card with those possibly germ-y fingers. So I washed both hands and card very thoroughly with warm soapy water when I got home.

Have you given any thought to laundering your money? :D

Having laundered a fair amount in my jeans on any number of occasions that is very doable and maybe a good idea. Maybe in a mesh bag or in a sock with the top pinned shut. Dryer doesn't hurt it either, but it does make it set in odd bends. Flat on a counter top works fine for air drying.

Having laundered a fair amount in my jeans on any number of occasions that is very doable and maybe a good idea. Maybe in a mesh bag or in a sock with the top pinned shut. Dryer doesn't hurt it either, but it does make it set in odd bends. Flat on a counter top works fine for air drying.
Hmm!! That is interesting to know. I thought the ink on it would wash out, but apparently not.

Although I did not know that paper money could be washed, I have often dried it on counter tops, after getting drenched out in the rain.

Lowes and Home Depot are among the busiest places in our town, based on the couple of shopping trips I have made in the past two weeks. Full of old people buying plants and gardening supplies to keep busy!

The sad thing is that in the past, we (customers) would be smiling at each other from over our carts. No smiles now. It's almost as if people are taking "social distancing" to mean "be distant."

There were lots of cleaning supplies, but only the ones that are either so "green" they are useless as disinfectant, or contain sodium hydroxide (lye) and thus too harsh for many uses. For example, my coated shower stall glass can only be cleaned with cleaners based on hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, neither of which is available. I'm an ingredient reader; looks like quite a few other buyers are, too, or belong to a social network that told them which products to hoard/avoid.

That said, I'm going out tomorrow to get cash, as you advise.

Almost all the stores are closed, but Lowes seemed to be open. I was puzzled to see that, until F reminded me that they do sell items for cleaning and sanitizing.

I iron the money, after washing it. Put the bills (one layer of them) on the ironing board with a thin towel, like a dishtowel, on top, and use the medium iron setting.

Money is incredibly dirty. It should be washed even when there isn't a pandemic!

Hmm!! That is interesting to know. I thought the ink on it would wash out, but apparently not.

Although I did not know that paper money could be washed, I have often dried it on counter tops, after getting drenched out in the rain.

Having some cash around is always a good idea.

Having some cash around is always a good idea.

Another good idea was listening to your "crazy prepper" warning posts, which were not all that crazy and saved me a lot of grief in recent weeks. Seriously, thanks.
Thank you Brewer and several youtubers who were saying we should start preparing for a pandemic just in case.

Almost all the stores are closed, but Lowes seemed to be open. I was puzzled to see that, until F reminded me that they do sell items for cleaning and sanitizing.

Also items for fixing things in the home and construction supplies, which is considered an essential business allowed to continue during our stay-at-home in Ohio.

Another good idea was listening to your "crazy prepper" warning posts, which were not all that crazy and saved me a lot of grief in recent weeks. Seriously, thanks.

Glad it was helpful. Grocery stores clear shelves in a flash when something bad happens.

And to think, I was attacked here repeatedly for "spreading panic" telling people to fill their pantries.

Reactions: W2R
Also items for fixing things in the home and construction supplies, which is considered an essential business allowed to continue during our stay-at-home in Ohio.

Here's a list of essential businesses allowed to remain open in Louisiana right now, updated as of today:

Healthcare workers and caregivers
Mental health and Social Service workers
Pharmacy employees
Workers supporting groceries, pharmacies and other retail sales of food and beverage products
Restaurant carryout and quick-serve food operations and food delivery employees
Farmworkers
Electricity and Utility Industry Employees
Critical Manufacturing Employees (medical supply chains, energy, transportation, food, chemicals)
Petroleum, Natural and Propane Gas Workers
Transportation and Logistics Workers
Communications and Information Technology Employees

https://www.knoe.com/content/news/E...y-Louisiana-stay-at-home-order-569026911.html

I wonder about the feed stores. Livestock needs to eat, too.

I wonder about the feed stores. Livestock needs to eat, too.

I buy cattle at auction in May for harvest to direct-sale customers in November. I just hope the markets (auctions) don't get shuttered.

On another note, beef producers are suffering. Cattle prices have collapsed because restaurants aren't buying. Prime cuts, the grade restaurants buy, sets the bar for all other grades of beef.

Several western-states Senators have forwarded legislation to help the ranchers, S3552. Yeah it's a bailout of sorts but hey this is where our food comes from.

Last edited:
Can't they send more beef to grocery stores? We are running out of ground beef and everything else meaty around here. Probably the supply/logistics process is different, or something.

I
Several western-states Senators have forwarded legislation to help the ranchers, S3552. Yeah it's a bailout of sorts but hey this is where our food comes from.

https://www.agweb.com/article/derrell-peel-beef-supply-chains-affected-covid-19

As noted, grocery stores and restaurants typically sell somewhat different beef products in different proportions. Many retail grocery businesses do not have in-store butchers (though there are exceptions), which limits grocery store flexibility to change product offerings. Retail grocery sales are planned many weeks in advance, not only for advertising schedules, but to ensure logistics of product supply.

There will be a variety of impacts on markets for specific beef products. For example, increased demand for ground beef has resulted in local shortages of product at grocery stores, while reduced restaurant demand may result in weaker middle meat sales. We can expect significant disruptions and stress on beef supply chains given the consumption changes associated with requirements to control COVID-19.

If we was closer I'd barter beef for shrimp but ...

Last edited:
Glad it was helpful. Grocery stores clear shelves in a flash when something bad happens.

And to think, I was attacked here repeatedly for "spreading panic" telling people to fill their pantries.
Your posts are the reason I have a lot of cash.
Thank you![emoji4]

Last edited:
I buy cattle at auction in May for harvest to direct-sale customers in November. I just hope the markets (auctions) don't get shuttered.

On another note, beef producers are suffering. Cattle prices have collapsed because restaurants aren't buying. Prime cuts, the grade restaurants buy, sets the bar for all other grades of beef.

How about eliminating trade tariffs. Wouldn’t that help farmers right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom