What's the most overrated thing about ER?

I thought that whoopee frequency would increase by multiples after ER what with all the free time and more energy, working out, etc etc but sad to report still same...

This isn't specifically an answer to your question but it was an interesting observation for me.

I had never really thought about it nor investigated it, so I was a bit surprised after I retired 5 years ago, to find that most things (concerts, theater, adult ed classes, lectures, seminars, meetup.com activities, etc.) are scheduled for nights and weekends.

It makes sense, as the majority of people are working the typical 8-5, M-F schedule.

So, I've just learned to amuse myself M-F, 8-5...and then plan on going to scheduled things evenings and weekends...with or without my working friends.

Another thing, initially, I was also a bit taken aback at how empty stores are in the daytime. Now it's the only time I care to shop.

omni

This is what happened to me when I first switched from working full time to part time back in 2001. It was great being able to do my errands on weekdays during the day and not during the lunch hour. Those errands included food shopping and trips to the mall and bank in the late morning hours, such as between 10 AM and noon. Those places are quite empty at that time and the service is much better, too.

My volunteer work is midday on weekdays so I have been able to fit that and my errands into the weekdays while doing my square dancing at night as often as I like. ER is sure great!

Not retired just yet, but from discussions with mrs traineeinvestor about what I will do all day, I may end up missing the comparatively short pre-retirement "honey do" list......:facepalm:

Another thing, initially, I was also a bit taken aback at how empty stores are in the daytime. Now it's the only time I care to shop.
Even though we all know it beforehand, it is funny how you get used to shopping without the crowds. Now when I do have to shop on the weekend/evening it seems crowded, where it was normal before.

However when I shop during the day, I was taken aback by all the old people and young mothers with kids in the stores. Sheeeeeesh... :cool:

This isn't specifically an answer to your question but it was an interesting observation for me.

I had never really thought about it nor investigated it, so I was a bit surprised after I retired 5 years ago, to find that most things (concerts, theater, adult ed classes, lectures, seminars, meetup.com activities, etc.) are scheduled for nights and weekends.

I'm not yet retired, but I've found the opposite for the activities that I want to do since all of the things on my to do/to learn class are only offered during the day including master gardener classes, pickleball leagues and bridge classes.

I know these are primarily activities for retired people, so guess I'm just getting ahead of myself, but I'll have no problem filling my day with activies based on my list of things to do/learn.

Honestly, I'm not yet sure about what is the most over-rated thing about ER.... still getting used to it! But this is an interesting topic as are the viewpoints in it.

The only thing I can think of is the thought that getting away from a work-defined schedule is a big advantage. Maybe so, but a schedule is still a good thing when warranted. I think you just have to learn the right way for you to set your own schedule.

The only thing I can think of is the thought that getting away from a work-defined schedule is a big advantage. Maybe so, but a schedule is still a good thing when warranted. I think you just have to learn the right way for you to set your own schedule.

+1

I'm rather flexible and free-spirited and single (so no one has any expectations of me doing anything with/for them).

After a while, with a totally unstructured life in retirement, I was actually feeling a bit disoriented (what day is this?) and unfocussed. It has helped me to set up certain days for exercising, take some classes, do a few social things, etc. which gives me the sense that there's some schedule or framework in my life.

omni
omni

What's the most overrated thing about ER?

Well, if you don't watch much TV you might lose track of time. I forgot Mother's day is tomorrow. Potential disaster territory here. We'll see how plan B works...

Most overrated? Most articles I read about retirement, early or otherwise, play up the freedom to travel as much as you want and can afford. I found having all the time in the world for travel also meant: it was too easy to put off planning, that more time on a trip doesn't translate into more enjoyment, that when one takes the time to amble instead of sprint along the tourist trail that the homogeneity in any one place becomes apparent (best expressed when I overheard one young woman with a crestfallen look as she and her friend walked out of a clothes store "Everyone is selling the same things.")

One of the main advantages to retirement, ER or otherwise, is all the time in the world to do whatever you want. I love that time evaporates when I start learning to play a new tune, when I drop into the Linux command line to automate a computer task, when I pick up the new novel by one of my favorites, when shooting or editing photos. Downside is I didn't expect to question the abundance, to wonder if there were better ways I could be spending my time given my age, fitness, finances and whatever economic, political and social forces are having large influences on life.

Some have said you will be bored to tears when you retire. Not me. Actually, there is enough to do that I do not know how I found time to go to my paying job.

Because I had been workng part-time for 7 years prior to my ER, I already had plenty to do in my free time. What had been happening in those years was I ran into scheduling conflicts between my work days and my other activities, often frustrating me. Work had become a growing nuisance, so getting rid of the work enabled me to expand on my outside activities, replacing the time I had spent working. It has all worked out very well. :)

Number one thing I miss about not working is that I got paid to follow the ER web site!

The disappointing thing about retirement is I have not actually written the Great American Novel as I expected would emerge in the first couple years of retirement. Still, some great travel, while healthy enough to enjoy it. Back from Cambodia & Viet Nam a couple weeks ago. More to follow.

Not ER yet, however DW is a stay at home mom. I see/hear her siblings ask for favors all the time, i.e. working late, can you pick up my kids; grandparent needs XYZ, can you do it for them; so n so needs a ride to the airport..... I think we spend $30 - 40 a week on gas for other people's errands. Yesterday, DW's sister needed a ride to the airport even though it was for work and she could charge in mileage/parking or order a ride, she choose to call for a favor. It was not quality time during the ride among siblings either as sister was on a work call.

While it's nice to "help", I just find it annoying some of the things DW is assisting with.

When we ER, I am assuming this will only continue or increase. We will need hobbies to be "not available".

I'll get off my soap box now, back to your regularly scheduled program....

The disappointing thing about retirement is I have not actually [-]written[/-] finished the Great American Novel as I expected would emerge in the first couple years of retirement.
FIFY.

Not ER yet, however DW is a stay at home mom. I see/hear her siblings ask for favors all the time, i.e. working late, can you pick up my kids; grandparent needs XYZ, can you do it for them; so n so needs a ride to the airport..... I think we spend $30 - 40 a week on gas for other people's errands. Yesterday, DW's sister needed a ride to the airport even though it was for work and she could charge in mileage/parking or order a ride, she choose to call for a favor. It was not quality time during the ride among siblings either as sister was on a work call.

While it's nice to "help", I just find it annoying some of the things DW is assisting with.

When we ER, I am assuming this will only continue or increase. We will need hobbies to be "not available".

I'll get off my soap box now, back to your regularly scheduled program....

Boundaries? I won't even take DH to the airport for work. He can charge in a cab or his own car, so why would I take time from my day to act as a free cab service?

I missed the perqs of the position and the recognition. Also the camaraderie of associates. But I quickly replaced it with a network of retired professionals and I find the variety very exilerating.

I also enjoy morning coffee at my leisure and I get lightly stresed by any meetings scheduled before 11am. Most of my routine stuff gets done after 1pm.

For me the most over-rated thing is sleeping in. When I didn't have to get up to go to work, I found I enjoyed early mornings! Being able to stay up as late as we want, whenever we want, is still, of course, priceless.

For me the most over-rated thing is sleeping in. When I didn't have to get up to go to work, I found I enjoyed early mornings! Being able to stay up as late as we want, whenever we want, is still, of course, priceless.

Not for me. I spent my whole career playing sleep catch up after routinely making four ocean crossings in six days.

Yes on the staying up late!

ONE regret is the lost access to the United First Class lounge in Narita where I drank "ICE COLD" beer from the tap into "ICE COLD" glasses, just before heading back to LAX. And the snacks to make it a perfect visit and flight home.

ONE regret is the lost access to the United First Class lounge in Narita where I drank "ICE COLD" beer from the tap into "ICE COLD" glasses, just before heading back to LAX. And the snacks to make it a perfect visit and flight home.
Yes, but now you can do that in the comfort of your own home anytime you want!

Yes we no longer have first class lounge access just when we travel so much (except on points). Seems ironic that DW never got to enjoy it too much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom