What's this thing?

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
At an airpark garage/estate sale. Bought a boxO'cwap because it had two clamps in it. They are about 1 3/8" by 5 5/8" and 5 1/8" interior diameter. Brass.

Attachments

• IMG_6697.jpg
    IMG_6697.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 100
Guy sitting by girl on a bus: Guess what this thing is. If you get it, I'll let you kiss me.

Girl: It's a concrete mixer.

Guy - Looking closely at the thing: Close enough!

Sorry, just looks like a clamp that fits a skillet without a handle. But, I'll let the girl kiss me no matter what we decide.

I believe it is a pipe clamp to join another piece of pipe. Fire hose has those connection to connect fabric fire hose to another link of fire hose together. They are self-locking quick connection for water hose that is why they are brass.

I have some that are aluminum that are basically the same thing for irrigation pipe.

Just my observation of the picture you posted.

I believe it is a pipe clamp to join another piece of pipe. Fire hose has those connection to connect fabric fire hose to another link of fire hose together. They are self-locking quick connection for water hose that is why they are brass.

I have some that are aluminum that are basically the same thing for irrigation pipe.

^^^^^^^^ Agree with Street, an oil filter wrench would be a continous circle. THis one has the break to go around the pipe then back together to squeeze it.

Suspect you've nailed it but aren't finding it and think that is very large diameter hose - do firetrucks run 5+" lines? Clamping diameter is fixed, not adjustable.

Suspect you've nailed it but aren't finding it and think that is very large diameter hose - do firetrucks run 5+" lines? Clamping diameter is fixed, not adjustable.
Well, they hook them up to fire hydrants from blooks away for more water capacity.

It is just my guess I do know they have those type of quick-locking connection lock rings for connecting for long runs from hydrants to fire scenes.

Just my 2¢ my guess.

Might be aviation related due to where you bought it. Nice find to get any brass like that.

:dance:

I recall these in this size (5 or 6 inches) when I worked in a factory in the summers in the 70's. Quick and temporary connect for pipes that needed to be taken apart frequently to be cleaned. The gunk that they spun fiberglass insulation with was thick and the inside of the pipes were narrowed after awhile.

Agree it's for connecting hose or pipe. The over center clamp for quick assembly or disassembly. Probably brass for corrosion resistance vs steel.

Back
Top Bottom