What's your Plan "B"?

I am surprised with some of you for not planning ahead with a plan B...  I still have 8 to 12 years before ER, but I started plan B about 20 years ago...

I do not have any kids, but since my niece was 5 years old I would tell her that she would have to take care of me when I get old  :D I did not think much of it until last Christmas when she was going to law school and said to me 'you know that I have to take care of you when you get old'!!!

So, plan B in place!!

Mountain_Mike said:
I consider garage sailing kinda fun.

Must require a hell of a big sail. Plus, I would think turning it
would be quite difficult. Never tried it, I confess.

JG

playaman said:
I have given a lot of thought to "what is my Plan B" since this was first posted a few days ago, and I've enjoyed reading the thread (most of which has been fairly light-hearted).

In truth, this is not a light-hearted issue, and I've concluded I don't really know what I'd do if Plan A  (set to go in a year-and-a-half) doesn't work.  I've played by the rules, LBYM'd it, and plan to downsize to a paid-off, comfortable home in a Texas "active adult" community.  But, what if the stock market/ economy crashes?  Or, if health insurrance becomes truly unavailable before Medicare kicks in?  What is Plan B?

Given age discrimination (which is very real), poor market conditions, and my own lack of passion for a full-time job after I officially call it quits, I don't think going back to work in a significant way could be a real answer.  That leaves, as someone else noted, "tighten the belt" and really LBYM -- and maybe help with odd jobs here and there.  Or, dust off the law license I never used ...?

I don't like my answer, but realistically I see no other.  There simply is  no real Plan B.

Now, that's pretty interesting. Although I retired with no real plan,
I now have a Plan B, C, D, etc., and none of them include going back to
work.

JG

Texas Proud said:
I do not have any kids, but since my niece was 5 years old I would tell her that she would have to take care of me when I get old :D I did not think much of it until last Christmas when she was going to law school and said to me 'you know that I have to take care of you when you get old'!!!

I like that! -- so maybe all that help I'm giving my kids on their math homework is really working on my Plan B?

'Course they'll also have to pay off the Chinese who are holding all our Treasury's debts, and cover the medical expenses of all the municipal retirees etc etc.... oh well, maybe this won't work too well after all...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom