What's your travel "style"?? friendly questionnaire

Ah, to be young again. ;)

I recall such things as taking a ramshackle bus from Tehran to Zahedan, (many of the passengers, it appeared, had never even been on a bus before), and sleeping in the dust alongside the vehicle while the driver took a six hour (IIRC) break......commandeering luggage racks to sleep on Pakistani & Indian local trains......being temporarily 'adopted' by some local students in Karachi and being invited to crash on the dirt floor of any empty concrete block building.

Those were the days...now, in my dotage, I demand a (gasp) mattress.

Getting soft, eh? :LOL:

Before the end times come, I swear I'm going to find a way ply you with beer and snacks for the opportunity to hear more of your stories. You are definitely my travel hero, sir!

Also a fan of mattresses, even if only filled with air, I confess. One of our buddies slept in just a sleeping bag fit into a plastic sleeve when we were camping last summer. The ancient part of our brains that believe the tent provides us some protection from hungry animals must have been completely absent.

For those that travel to countries and don't speak or understand the local language how do you find this fun and exciting?
I dealt with tons of people in my prior j*bs that didn't speak english and I don't speak any foreign language I found it to be stress inducing. So why would I wan't a stressful vacation? Because of this I limit my travels to where english is the primary language.
It sounds like you have made the right decision for yourself. Believe it or not, other people have different preferences and enjoy different experiences.

Getting soft, eh? :LOL:

Before the end times come, I swear I'm going to find a way ply you with beer and snacks for the opportunity to hear more of your stories. You are definitely my travel hero, sir!

Also a fan of mattresses, even if only filled with air, I confess. One of our buddies slept in just a sleeping bag fit into a plastic sleeve when we were camping last summer. The ancient part of our brains that believe the tent provides us some protection from hungry animals must have been completely absent.

I also recall, circa 1965, grabbing a jam packed northwest bound train from Brindisi, Italy, having recently crossed from Greece by ferry....even the corridors were virtually standing room only......but I fell asleep.......and woke up with footprints all over me......(the Chianti....there was no available food except a hunk of sausage that a few of us shared....may have been a contributing factor). :LOL:

PS: Ply away! :LOL:

My style is "go with the flow" and do anything and everything. And no complaining ... no matter what.

I've done flying, driving, bike riding, bus, cruise, train, canoe, foot whether public or private.

I've camped, stayed with relatives, low budget hotels and Ritz Carlton high budget hotels.

I've done pre-planned know-where-I-will-be every-night and the wanderlust-just-go-and-see-what-happens.

I've done quite a few countries where I didn't speak the language, but had some of the most memorable experiences.

I've been in foreign hospitals and even help foreigners-in-the-US get medical treatment.

So back-country skiing camping in the frozen mountains to hot desert camping to spas and beaches without a worry. Big cities like NYC, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Beijing, Paris, London, Tokyo, whatever. And places where there is no cell coverage, no roads, and no people.

I guess I don't have a style. I can do anything.

Hate to travel unless it is to a golf destination.

Hate airports, had enough of those for 40+ years.

Hate standing in any kind of a line and waiting. Must be a throw back to my days in the US Army.

When I do have to travel it is strictly on my own terms, which means, I don't have to travel much.

We don't have a style either. We like cruises, RV travel, going to Europe and seeing the sights on our own. I hate the heat so I do not want to go to any places that are hot/humid. I went to Thailand in Nov and it was 90 and humid (their winter). While I am glad I went I would not do it again. WE have been to Europe 4x's and want to go more. We like to see a region for 2 weeks so no 5 countries in 10 days for us. I don't want to be gone for more then 3 weeks since we have dogs I miss. If we take them with us then a month is fine. We usually eat out dinner every night in middle of the road places with an occasional fancy dinner mixed in. I would prefer to take 2 trips that are in the middle for luxury then 1 first class trip. I will not share a bathroom ever.

What's your travel "style"?? friendly questionnaire

Too cheap to have style, but we travel a lot on Ryanair, and prefer to stay in apartments or condos before staying in hotels.

Great thread idea!

I've been cruising since elementary school, and like the negligible planning required for that style of travel. It's getting less interesting to me, but it appeals to DW, so by way of common ground, it's what we end-up doing. But we don't even get off the ship in the Caribbean ports. But this "complete relaxation" travel does not fulfill my travel bug, so I do it, like it, but it doesn't completely describe my preferences (style).

Neither DW nor I like the "organized tour", where they cart you from place to place on a specific schedule, and everything is planned down to the minute for you. There is no adventure in that kind of travel. And I'm not real interested in going to hit each tourist thing and get the tee shirt. We'll do "what we have to" (i.e. Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame), but try to work-in some random local culture stuff or just setting out with nothing in mind and taking what we find.

I would rather be doing something active (hiking, biking, or even piloting a boat), whereas DW considers that "work" and would rather be on a cruise or somewhere where that didn't require any effort at all. But I did talk her into taking a week of ocean sailing lessons, and she said she liked doing that, so maybe there's middle ground.

I'm going to go back and read this thread again...reading the various thoughts / approaches surrounding what people like and don't like about travel...good stuff.

Dirty hippie is our travel style.
Weird, offbeat places, not typical tourist destinations.
Always try to find local friends to stay with, or barring that, little hostels (shared bath ok, prefer private room rather than dorm-style, though).
Typically we do trips that are longer, running into weeks and weeks.

Generally try to do them on the cheap, making it possible for more budget-constrained friends to join us, occasionally springing for nice hotel rooms (using points) and decent dinners. Trips are so much better when you can share them with good friends.

+1

DW & I also like to take it slow and low! Weeks & months in duration, immerse ourselves like locals and do it on the cheap (cheap for rooms and instead spend $$ on experiences).

No particular style of travel, although we both hate anything fancy (like hotels with doormen, etc.).

Personally, I love spontaneous travel best. One example comes to mind.
About 6 or 7 years ago, I was looking at a map and realized that I had spent time in 49 states but had never set foot in Montana.

Spent a day at the computer making plans, then hopped in the car and drove west from Ohio, heading toward Glacier NP.

A most delightful week or ten days, seeing things I had never encountered before and making memories that will last for years. Probably spent a little over $1,000 on gas, hotels, food, etc. That's travel for the pure pleasure of it.

Another one (I love this story):
Long ago, I was able to fly standby for free, and was w*rking in NYC. There was a play on Broadway I wanted to see, but the tickets were prohibitively expensive and because of its popularity there were no half-price tickets available.

I found out that the same show was playing in London at a greatly reduced price compared to the Broadway theatre. So after w*rk on Friday I jumped on a plane and flew to London. Slept all the way across. Caught a ride with the aircrew into town, then killed time (and a few pints) until evening. Got discount tickets at the booth in Piccadilly Circus, saw the show, then enjoyed a few more pints until closing time. Rode the tube here and there until the flight home next morning and crashed at home Sunday evening. What a great weekend, and it cost hardly anything!

I truly admire those here who can meticulously plan their travels, but I don't have that organizational gene (wish I did!).

Guess we like a mixture of road trips, long and short, as well as longer term slow travel. Leaving tomorrow to drive to Arizona, tent camping along the way. Staying there in a modest rental condo for six weeks, mostly playing in baseball tournaments and mountain biking. Looking at a couple of months in southern Spain or Ecuador this winter - rental apartments are pretty cheap there.

Last year drove I from the PNW to Arizona, then across the country taking my time to Miami. Then to Cuba to play baseball and tour around. Back to Miami and up to Kentucky, Ohio and New York to visit family, then a month in Chicago visiting our daughter. All told about a four month trip. A mix of condo stays, budget hotels and staying with relatives.

I'd rather pay lower prices and stay longer - luxury travel doesn't do much for me at all, even if I had unlimited funds. (OK, with truly unlimited funds I might fly first class.) Super 8 is good enough on road trips. But my hostel / shared room days are behind me - and an air mattress is part of the camping gear.

We rented a campervan for two months touring New Zealand a couple of years back, and a month in a campervan along the east coast of Australia a couple of years before that.

At this point we seem to be moving towards longer stays in great walking cities - walking around just observing life is my favorite travel activity. Lisbon, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Berlin - that might be a thread I'll start some day, the search for great walking cities. Travel guides don't seem to focus on that much.

At this point we seem to be moving towards longer stays in great walking cities - walking around just observing life is my favorite travel activity. Lisbon, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Berlin - that might be a thread I'll start some day, the search for great walking cities. Travel guides don't seem to focus on that much.

Would love to see this, waiting for the thread!

What's your travel "style"??

LBYM travel.

Attachments

• Hoboboxcar.jpg
    Hoboboxcar.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 14
great walking cities - walking around just observing life is my favorite travel activity. Lisbon, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Berlin .

As much as I like Lisbon, I think I'd exchange it for Porto.

That is the great thing about Europe is that is was designed for walking and not really car travel. We have been in some towns where the cars are not allowed in the city.

Rome, best walking city, period. Could spend days there just walking all the little streets and piazzas. The food, the history, friendly locals, good wine. Hard to beat.

We tend to like a combo of tours , museums and time just wandering. I love quirky hotels and we both love quirky restaurants or pubs. Living in Florida I am never tempted anymore by beaches . I did every Caribbean island several times when I lived in New Jersey . I also did my adventure travel when younger now I want comfort .My days of swimming with the sharks are over .

Must haves when I travel:

toilets
mattress sleeping.
(I grew up backpacking, I've done my time, but will tolerate air mattress in a tent in a campground with portapotties.)

My "style" is towards slowish travel... a week at a time per destination... in an apartment rather than a hotel. I like having room to move around, a kitchen, a chance to unpack and settle in. I want to be in a place long enough that if I am feeling low energy or under the weather, I don't feel compelled to go sightsee, and instead can stay in the apartment and read and nap.

I'm an obsessive planner... especially when it comes to lodging and transfer days... But the time *at* the destination is unplanned. Don't get me wrong, I research what I want to see/do ahead of time... but I don't decide whether to go to a museum, open air market, or beach till that day.

I don't like group tours and I'm not excited about cruises... but am considering repositioning cruises once I have the flexibility (kids out of the house). That said - I like comfort... Not necessarilly fancy... but comfort. With the kids - I don't want to all cram into a hotel room and listen to their squables. I look for apartments with beds big enough that DH (6'4") and I (not petite) can fit comfortably. I look for places with fully equipped kitchens because my preference is to not eat every meal in a restaurant. I look for places with AC and washing machine and, of course, internet... those are more important to me than room service.

Here's an example of a place we stayed at in southern France... It was ideal and SO much better than a hotel.
https://www.vrbo.com/440055

We just completed a motor trip with 2 other couples. In the large Merc with 3 seats and we mixed and matched each seat. Great time travelling to Whistler and then across to the Okanagan, visiting friend's son and DIL ranch and another son's candy factory, mixing in a couple of large ranches and wine tasting. Too good!

We are leaving cruising until our dotage, having tried 3 of them. We fly to far away places and we avoid sandy beaches except for sunrise and sunset walks. We like places where we can stay and cook and drink on our own patio overlooking the water with friends, while getting to "good" restaurants in a reasonable walk or cab ride.

I'll usually check out some variety of Eyewitness Travel, Lonely Planet, or Rough Guides travel guides when researching a destination. All of those usually have lots of "walking tour of the city" type of maps with descriptions of places along the route. We spent several days in Buenos Aires following a few different walking tour routes. You see a lot of places along the way that you might never visit if you were on a tour or taking a taxi to a particular address, but if you're on foot and can deviate a block or two, why not stop in to an interesting square/museum/cafe/famous dead person's house.

Basically, as long as I'm with my SO, I really don't care where we go or what we do. I just had a magical time in the hills of Malibu, CA, and most of that was because we were together. Flying and airports don't bother me at all (perhaps they will in time?).

Back
Top Bottom