When is a carry-on not a carry-on?

Just a quick suggestion from someone who still flies entirely too much: Always wear a decent jacket with large pockets when you fly (even to tropical destinations). This is where I keep everything that would be painful to replace if lost: Medication, contact lenses, very small laptop, etc.

Even on really small puddle jumpers in Central America where they place all bags (including laptop bags and purses) into a luggage compartment, I have never had to give up my jacket.

I have to believe that charging for checking a bag has resulted in longer load times for airlines and wonder if they additional revenue the gain from baggage fees make up for slower turn around times.

FYI, most airlines give you a $5 discount if you do web check in and pay for your checked luggage in advance.

Most Asian airliners seem to be pretty liberal with carry-ons.

Seriously! We've taken many regional flights in Asia and it's like comedy show the locals strolling up to the gate toting carryon luggage consisting of things like ice coolers, wicker chests, 3 foot tall ceramic elephants, bamboo screens, etc.

Makes it even more interesting when the "door is open" unorganized mosh pit occurs to pile onto the little bus to drive out to the plane.

Another funny gray area is the "second small personal item like a purse or laptop bag."

For many passengers this means two max-sized pieces of luggage. Thus the one seat will take up half the overhead bin.

Let's see: checked baggage fees and flights that are almost always overbooked and filled to capacity these days. Nope, I don't see a problem with carry-on space developing...

I used to enjoy flying. Now I detest it to the point where I avoid it any time I can get anywhere within a day's drive.

OK, count me in "IN" on the "got my bag grabbed just as I was about to board".

I asked the flight attendant (yes, it caused a log jam behind me) why the boarding gate did not announce to those of us who had been lingering in the gate area for an hour or more, to check our bags. Why the SWAT team tactic?

I'm so feed up with flying.

Is there a "class action", or "civil disobedience" method to convince the airlines to hire more intelligent management.

Back
Top Bottom