When to File for Social Security...Interesting Perspective

Care to share a snippet and your thoughts, vs. just asking us to go read the article? (ps, Marketwatch isn't held in high regard around here).

In the example provided, It’s amazing to me that an FA has not better prepared his clients for how the timing of starting SS benefits will impact their retirement finances.

The analysis and comparisons used seem too generalized. If your IRA and/or pension are big enough it doesn’t matter when you start SS.

I'm not paying attention to the clown that wrote this article. Every situation is different. I'm going to start SS one full month after I turn 62. I have a level income pension that drops by the estimated SS benefits at age 62. The pension covers all our expenses except for income tax on excess interest income. Our investment portfolio continues to grow. If we used the money in our investment accounts to cover expense shortfalls, we will have less invested. At the current rate of return, our portfolio doubles about every 10 years. There is no guarantee that SS will be solvent 10-15 years from now.

When to Take SS is the Clickbait de jour on Youtube, and everywhere else, even here on ER.org. I only fall for it here, as it is our favorite subject along with healthcare as a close second. :)

Thanks for all the responses. At least I now know I don't need to read the article. BTW, I am 4 months from filing at age 70, so I guess that's another reason that I didn't need to read it

Oh darn, I used one of my free articles this month to just say I went there. Lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom