Where in heck is Sochi?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Yeah... :flowers: To anyone who can point out Sochi on a map!
With less than 100 days to the start of the 2014 Winter Olympics it's time to become familiar with the event that will occupy most of the world from Feb 7 to Feb 23 next year.
While there will be dozens of websites covering the event, a good starting point may be Wikipedia:
2014 Winter Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Did you know that the Olympic Torch is getting ready for a space walk... Today?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/11/07/olympic-torch-space/3463599/

Just a heads up on getting smart about the big event. :)

Last edited:
Of course! And it is a neat city, and one we REALLY wanted to see when we did the rally this summer, but the ferry schedule from Turkey up there looked too sketchy. I'd considered overland travel through Georgia, but the land borders were also subject to random closure, not what you need to hear when planning 10,000 miles of road trip.

Although Sochi is really a cool place, the infrastructure to get from there to other places isn't great. I hope Ed makes it up for some stuff, since he's practically next door in Azerbaijan!

Closest we got to it was Luhansk, which was a story unto itself. What a weird city, and we wound up camping in a hotel parking lot.

Wow - that is pretty remote

Attachments

• socchi.JPG
    socchi.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 17
Yeah... :flowers: To anyone who can point out Sochi on a map!
I already knew that Sochi is a resort city on the Black Sea. That knowledge can be credited to my younger days, when I was an avid chess player. Sochi hosted the Chigorin Memorial chess tournament for about a quarter of a century, so it was in the news frequently.

I would have had to guess exactly where on the Black Sea it's located, however. I'm not sure if that's close enough to qualify me for a bouquet of flowers.

Chigorin Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, if I was going to travel to that part of the world I would rather go to Turkey than Sochi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom