Where in the West to retire?

Send me a PM with an email if you want a spreadsheet with ridiculous amounts of statistics on these. My OCD kicks in overdrive when researching retirement destination. Humidity charts anyone?

Upload them to Google Docs and post a link?

Proximity to an airport is likely the first area I would compromise on. If I have to drive 4 or 5 hours instead of 1 or 2 hours to get to a decent airport a couple of times a year then that's not a big deal.

What I did look at last night was pricing of flights to Europe from various airports - there's some pretty big variation there. Denver seems to be about the cheapest at around $800 but SFO is not far behind. Boise was expensive at $1,400. So if I flew to the UK once or twice a year that could be a $600-$1,200 additional annual expense. Just one more thing to take into account along with real estate taxes, income taxes, insurance and all those other things that vary from state to state.

I just booked flights for a trip to England and Scotland in September and am flying out of Toronto for $750 instead of Detroit at $1,250 even though Toronto is a 4.5 hour drive vs. Detroit at 1 hour. Not sure if that makes me smart or cheap...

4-5 hours is a serious drive. Plus you have to be there 2 hours before an international flight so 6-8 hours you have to set out?

And where do you leave your car? Long-term parking at SFO out here is $10-15 if not more now. For a 2-week trip, that adds up.

I live closer to SJC, which is an international airport. But there aren't as many direct flights to Europe or Asia as there is out of SFO, so you typically get longer trips and more expensive.

That is also true for domestic flights. No directly flights to NY from SJC so longer flights, often more expensive.

So I fly out of SFO and usually get rides but even if I didn't, I would pay the expense for an hour transfer there instead of a 15-minute drive to SJC.

4-5 hours is a serious drive. Plus you have to be there 2 hours before an international flight so 6-8 hours you have to set out?

And where do you leave your car? Long-term parking at SFO out here is $10-15 if not more now. For a 2-week trip, that adds up.

I live closer to SJC, which is an international airport. But there aren't as many direct flights to Europe or Asia as there is out of SFO, so you typically get longer trips and more expensive.

That is also true for domestic flights. No directly flights to NY from SJC so longer flights, often more expensive.

So I fly out of SFO and usually get rides but even if I didn't, I would pay the expense for an hour transfer there instead of a 15-minute drive to SJC.

The OP didn't say how many tickets he bought. For more then one ticket this is a big savings. So drive in the night before, find a hotel with a good park and fly program, many will give you 7-10 free and add a nominal charge for additional nights.

I've met many people who drive 4-5 hours to LAX for flights to Hawaii. I think they are from Baskerfield, CA.

Can view it but the columns need to be widened so you can see the headings.

Good start though.

not sure why you don't have Boise as a ski location - we have a really good local ski hill and are "close" to several others, Tamarack, Brundage, SV, etc

The ski locations I used are for an idea I tossed about here last summer. Considering ski resort towns where we could live in the spring/summer/fall and then rent out to skiers during peak season while we snowbird. I don't think OP is interested in that concept though.

The ski locations I used are for an idea I tossed about here last summer. Considering ski resort towns where we could live in the spring/summer/fall and then rent out to skiers during peak season while we snowbird. I don't think OP is interested in that concept though.

ah - thanks for putting this together BTW - yes Boise is not really a resort town like driggs or mccall

mccall is Boise North btw...

Last edited:
I would NOT recommend anyone retiring in the over-populated towns like Orange County, CA, Oceanside etc. Way too many people, too much traffic, lots of road rage, not my idea of a peace and quiet retirement. I'd much rather live in the hills than the concrete jungles. There are a few decent options in CA that are not the major metropolitan areas though.

There's 2 of us so that's a $1,000 saving. If it was much less than that I wouldn't think it was worth it, but that's a pretty serious chunk of change. When I'm retired and I have more time than money then it will definitely be worth it.

At least at Houston and San Antonio, and I suspect other airports if you stay a night in a hotel/motel on each end, they will provide parking while you are gone for a fee. In addition they will deliver you to the terminal when you leave and pick you up when you return and take you to the hotel. Then an early morning flight is no problem. Here is a link to a web site that lists cities that have such an option:Airport Hotels - Park Sleep and Fly Packages | Free Airport Parking That just makes the trip a couple of days longer, which if retired should not be an issue. For example I now live five hours from Houston, and about 7 from DFW, and rather than go thru San Antonio, I would take advantage of the service at IAH, or DFW. (Not that I fly anymore but this does cut the problem of connecting flights). This then extends the circle significantly.

Reno ended up on some list as having bad air quality. Overall, the air quality is good. we do go through times such as forest fires or inversions when it is bad. Since I have asthma I stay inside during those times or wear a special mask.

Reno ended up on some list as having bad air quality. Overall, the air quality is good. we do go through times such as forest fires or inversions when it is bad. Since I have asthma I stay inside during those times or wear a special mask.

we (Boise) sometimes get smoke during fire season and sometimes get inversions during the winter - the rest makes up for it IMO

I suspect Reno and Boise have similar climates. I need to get down there and visit. I'm pretty sure I could retire in Reno.

We actually are taking an RV trip this summer with a week in Boise and a week by the Salmon River. Reno has a mild 4 seasons. I moved here 20 years ago for work and just love it. I have lived in the Midwest and east Coast before. Nothing compares to here. I am really looking forward to seeing Idaho as everyone says it is very beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom