Where to invest should the US go bankrupt??

It's fully encumbered and there is no equity in DC. You would have to pay somebody to take it. hmmmmm.....

You would have to pay someone a LOT to take it, further exacerbating our debt problem. Yep, our govt is "too big to fail!" ;)

It's fully encumbered and there is no equity in DC. You would have to pay somebody to take it. hmmmmm.....

Let's sell California!! It's got beaches, mountains, Hollywood, and skyscrapers, and some of the wealthiest residents in the country.

We can just softpedal the part about California's financial woes...

Let's colonized iraq and afganistan ... then sell them off to China. Deficit solved!

Actually, if the US filed bankruptcy at this point it would probably be a chapter 7 liquidation and the bankruptcy trustee would probably just liquidate California after relocating the condors.

would barter my crops and possessions for ammunition so i can learn to shoot and hunt the wild critters that abound here. i would teach myself some basic trade so i can barter for other people's production items.

I was talking to my father about conditions in Oklahoma in the later dust bowl days (late 30s). He stated that by the end of this period, there was not a game animal of any type alive, and he lived in a lightly populated area (The Sans Bois Mtns in SE OK). I am certain that hunting would provided meat for about the first 30-60 days of an economic breakdown. After that, long pork would be the only hunting option.

I had some buddies out on Washington's Olympic Peninsula who were high school age during the depression. This area was very sparsely populated and hard to reach from any city or larger town. The rivers were full of salmon and steelhead, the mountains full of large game, the beaches loaded with clams and the sea full of fish easily reached in a small boat.

With no pesky game cops to annoy them they had the time of their lives.

Ha

Welll - for the no guts no glory crowd - Vanguard Total World Stock Index.

Info for the whussies - my Father left Brooklyn in the Great Depression and taught English at a Finnish shipbuilding company for a number of years. While on vacation got to see live Nazi's in Germany - which he claimed prompted his return to the USA.

A friend of ours daughter has been in China teaching English under contract(American company) - has no plans to return except to visit relatives and laugh comparing her pay/perks vs Louisiana.

heh heh heh - :cool: And lest I be remiss - a little pssst Wellesley so we can feel better. :rolleyes:

Let's sell California!! It's got beaches, mountains, Hollywood, and skyscrapers, and some of the wealthiest residents in the country.

We can just softpedal the part about California's financial woes...

Depending on who's buying, even as a Californian, I might go for this solution. California's financial woes seem small for it's economy compared to the USSA.

Depending on who's buying, even as a Californian, I might go for this solution.

Just for fun I did a little analysis. California is one of those odd states that sends more money to the Federal government than it gets back. As an independent country, with the state getting all the current Federal tax cashflow, it's financial problems go away.

Note that California also has, in the California National Guard and reserves, the largest national guard force in the nation, at a strength of 18,000 Army and 4,900 Air Force. There is also a California State Military Reserve, which includes a very small naval branch (military lawyers and strategists, primarily in an advisory role). Not a huge force, granted, but roughly similar in size to Denmark or Norway.

As an economy, California has a GDP of 1.73 trillion dollars(2006), making it the 10th largest in the world. The state is a net exporter of computes and electronics, transportation, non-electrical machinery, agriculture, and chemicals.

California going independent or being sold off looks like a good deal for California or the buyer, and maybe not so good a deal for the USA. :greetings10:

As no one bothered to answer the question the first time, I will re-ask: couldn't the US maybe give Hawaii to China as PIF for all our debt?

Last edited:
A lot of Hawaii is owned by Japan. So probably the better bet is to sell Hawaii to Japan.

Actually my idea is to rent out the military much as Switzerland did during the middle ages and Renaissance with Swiss mercenaries. I am pretty sure that Pakistan, India, and much of Africa would pay big bucks for Aircraft carrier group, or a few squadrons of stealth planes.

As no one bothered to answer the question the first time, I will re-ask: couldn't the US maybe give Hawaii to China as PIF for all our debt?

I thought the original question was "Where to invest should the US go bankrupt??"

According to several groups here in the Islands, Hawaii isn't the US's to give away!:rolleyes:

Personally, if we're going to sell something, how about NJ - no make that DC!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom