Where to stay in Brooklyn

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We'll be visiting someone in Brooklyn next month. DW and I will be taking the train in from the Hudson River (getting at either Garrison or Cold Spring) so we'll be arriving into Grand Central Station.

I like Manhattan because I want to be able to step outside of my hotel and have anything I want within a block or two, such as an espresso, a scone, a nice glass of wine, a good sandwich, a beer etc etc.

I expect such areas exist in Brooklyn, right?

I'm looking for a suggestion for neighborhood or area, as well as specific hotel if you have one.

thanks,

^^^ Yeah, that's a Manhattan type area. And not far is 7th Avenue, around 1st - 10th Street, where I used to shop sometimes even though it's not my neighborhood. Use Google Maps Street View to see what's there these days.

Oh...wait, they say they're near Barklay's Center but I thought they were closer. It's not as close to 7th Ave as I thought and maybe not so Manhattan-like, but it's northern Brooklyn where you'll find what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Last trip, we stayed off Vanderbilt Ave. in a brownstone at the north end of Prospect Park. Great restaurants were within walking distance, and the art museum and Saturday flea market in the park were a couple of blocks. It was a refreshing change to the hustle and bustle of Manhattan. We never even crossed the river in a long weekend there.

Manhattan was just two subway stops away--10 minutes--if the desire to visit is there.

Stay at the Nu, which is at Atlantic and Smith. Reasonable for NYC, parking ramp next door, close to the subway and a nice complimentary breakfast in the lobby.

Last year I went to the ACC basketball tournament at the Barclay Center and stayed at the EVEN Hotel nearby. Close to several subway lines and shopping and the Brooklyn Academy of Music (which is worth visiting even if you don't see a performance - stunning architectural details). Good variety of restaurants in walking distance as well.

I would stay in Brooklyn Heights (close to Montague Street) or Park Slope (7th or Eigth Avenues near Prospect Park). Lived in both areas in the past and they fit your desire.

I would stay in Brooklyn Heights (close to Montague Street) or Park Slope (7th or Eigth Avenues near Prospect Park). Lived in both areas in the past and they fit your desire.

Montague Street has some nice restaurants & bars. There's even a super market nearby. Plus, this area is close to the East River, great area to go for a walk.

Back
Top Bottom