Where you were employed pics

Most of my career was spent here, and I was lucky to have my office window overlooking a TPC golf course, but most of the time I was way to busy to appreciate the view.

Wow, I would have come here on my day off just to have a picnic lunch with the family. Looks like Heaven

I am not employed here, but I have many friends who were. It is the old Burroughs/Wellcome building in RTP, NC. It is also featured in the movie "Brainstorm" as a cutting edge research facility. It is iconic RTP, NC.

Alas, through various multinational mergers and strategies, the original company and workers are gone. The building was somewhat vacant for a while, until a new biotech firm took it over. They are currently demolishing parts, and renovating parts with a plan to keep the most iconic facade in place. Here's a cool story about the current work, along with pictures of the inside, and some of the decay.

5368479359_3e2953048d_b.jpg

Edit: the comments on the article are interesting. A lot of retirees sharing fond memories of working in such a funky place.

My neighbor growing up worked there and eventually retired from what was GSK at the time. My dad also worked for Glaxo (which eventually merged with BW and other successors to form GSK) but in the plants somewhere (electrical engineer) - the job that brought me to Raleigh/Cary as an 8 year old and to much much better schools than what I otherwise would have suffered in rural NC.

Didn't know that building was vacant.

Flying to the Reservation

I was a flying doctor going out to the Apache Reservations. Up at 5am, airport at 6:15 am, up and away at sunrise in King Air 200 and Barrons aircraft. Home by 5pm.

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5339.jpg
    IMG_5339.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 48
  • photo-195 copy.jpg
    photo-195 copy.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 48
My offices were so small they are not pic worthy. Mostly satellites, they were rented space (1000-2000 sq-ft) in "business centers" that were essentially office strip malls.

The last place I worked was 1000 sq-ft and had 4 people employed, 3 of which were outside sales guys who came in once a week.

The first is a pic that sums up the NC Department of Transportation where I worked in their headquarters in downtown Raleigh. The door is simultaneously an exit and also not an exit. Ponder that one for a minute next time you're stuck in line at DMV or waiting in traffic in a construction zone. I didn't put a pic of the horribly moldy ceiling but you can imagine it. Cough cough.

The next pic is a view from my penthouse suite office. Somehow we got the top floor as we were the golden children at the NCDOT. Hopefully the asbestos in the wall doesn't kill me later in life (they tried to make me sign a waiver and I of course told them where they could shove it).

Attachments

• not-an-exit-ncdot.jpg
    not-an-exit-ncdot.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 45
  • view-from-penthouse.jpg
    view-from-penthouse.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 47
I started my professional career in 1982 in a building that W2R may find familiar:

Attachments

• one shell square.jpg
    one shell square.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 159
Meck2.jpg

Meck Island. 17 miles up the east reef of Kwajalein Atoll. A lot of missile defense testing takes place here; I worked in the big concrete building with the slanted sides, the Meck Island Control Building (MICB), because all defense buildings should be known as an acronym, from 2001 to 2004.

Meck2.jpg

Meck Island. 17 miles up the east reef of Kwajalein Atoll. A lot of missile defense testing takes place here; I worked in the big concrete building with the slanted sides, the Meck Island Control Building (MICB), because all defense buildings should be known as an acronym, from 2001 to 2004.

Did you have to take a boat to work? Helicopter?

Did you have to take a boat to work? Helicopter?

Boat. Twin-diesel catamaran, left the Kwaj dock at 0600, left the Meck dock for home at 1500. That was one good thing, no overtime, unless the company was going to pay for the helicopter.

It was an interesting commute for about two weeks, then you came to realize that riding a boat in a lagoon doesn't mean you don't get tossed about by swells. The cat mitigated it some, but most eventually learned the best spots on the rail to throw up.

First job, office space was pretty small:

xpc4tg.jpg

Second job, office space was twice the size:

2u7r5vs.jpg

Last edited:
Boat. Twin-diesel catamaran, left the Kwaj dock at 0600, left the Meck dock for home at 1500. That was one good thing, no overtime, unless the company was going to pay for the helicopter.

It was an interesting commute for about two weeks, then you came to realize that riding a boat in a lagoon doesn't mean you don't get tossed about by swells. The cat mitigated it some, but most eventually learned the best spots on the rail to throw up.

:LOL:

No pictures were allowed because the place didn't exist. Eventually I changed jobs, where I worked from home, and prefer not to post.

Wow, I would have come here on my day off just to have a picnic lunch with the family. Looks like Heaven

Prior to a merger of equals it really was wonderful, after that merger it was more like the pic HFWR posted.

No pictures were allowed because the place didn't exist.

Came this close to being assigned to one of those places once. In hindsight, very glad I avoided it. But most of them aren't very photogenic anyway. :LOL:

Most of my career I worked in this building. Now I get paid to play in the gorge in the second photo. IMG_0420.JPGIMG_0421.JPG

When I started:

f11a.JPG

When I fiished:

ov10a.jpg

It might be hard to tell but as far as technology goes, it was a huge step backwards, however, as fun goes, a huge step up!

When I started:

It might be hard to tell but as far as technology goes, it was a huge step backwards, however, as fun goes, a huge step up!

Same here. I never tell anyone I had more fun in the Dragonfly than the Phantom.

I worked on the middle one

Attachments

• Scan_20170220.png
    Scan_20170220.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
250 west 135 street. about 1/3 of my career. https://www.google.com/maps/place/2...d10a26a742b745!8m2!3d40.8157306!4d-73.9453589. Locker room was on the 4th floor. If you forgot something in the summer and had to run up the steps to get it , you were soaked (no air condition).

Luv the garbage on the street... haven't been north in a while but I'm guessing nothing changes...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=3bpwtg3ItJUVUM:

Not a great shot but I worked right next door... we also had a birds eye view of the heliport. I remember that wind coming off the water...in the winter that place was cold

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom