which is best SS estimator

livingalmostlarge

Recycles dryer sheets
Which SS estimator do people like the best? Also can you explain how the second bend point works if you retire early with all those 0?

I use opensocialsecurity.com. After it tells you their best strategy, go to the bottom and enter different dates you might be considering, instead of FRA. Very easy to use and I think it's accurate. I have four zeros. It just doesn't count income in that year.

So, go to SS.gov and see what your FRA and amount are. Then plug in those numbers in opensocialsecurity.com.

Which SS estimator do people like the best? Also can you explain how the second bend point works if you retire early with all those 0?
You could try either or both of

- The 'SocialSecurity' tab of the case study spreadsheet.
- Social Security Calculator

The second bend point is not affected by your earnings (or lack thereof). Where you are relative to the second bend point is affected by your earnings.

Opensocialsecurity.com is a great tool to use after you know the Primary Insurance Amount (PIA) that (I think) is what you mean by "SS estimator".

I use anypia from the SS web site. You have to pull in or type in all you earnings and then there will be zeros for years not working that goes in to the calculations. A little difficult to work with (not intuitive), but it works and it’s accurate.

opensocialsecurity.com requires knowing your PIAs. If wanting to determine your estimated PIA and benefits, then my go to tool is https://ssa.tools/. It allows for zero income prior to FRA.

Back
Top Bottom