Which is more safe gold CD or treasuries?

Let me re-phrase for the OP..."What has less risk; gold, CDs, or treasuries?"

CD's purchased through an FDIC institution will, at the least, re-pay the principal. So, very very safe.
Treasuries are almost 100% guaranteed. Unless the government defaults on them, they are 100%
Gold is not-at-all safe. It can lose its value and someone can steal it (if you are speaking of actually holding gold).

No treasuries at this time. Some CDs that are maturing in a few months and 75 oz of gold that we have had for over about 19 years. We purchased these gold coins at an average of $273 oz. I wanted to dump them when gold went over $1650 oz but my wife is somehow convinced that gold will shoot up to $4000 oz. I am not a gold bug, but I will say that it has outperformed the stock market over the past 19 years.

Let me re-phrase for the OP..."What has less risk; gold, CDs, or treasuries?"
There are different types of risk. Loss of purchasing power, theft, loss of absolute value are all examples. perhaps the OP (or someone else) would like to be a bit more specific about the type of risk involved. :)

Good Point Michael. I was only referring to loss of principal

CD's purchased through an FDIC institution will, at the least, re-pay the principal. So, very very safe.
Treasuries are almost 100% guaranteed. Unless the government defaults on them, they are 100%
Gold is not-at-all safe. It can lose its value and someone can steal it (if you are speaking of actually holding gold).

Almost...

FDIC insured CDs guarantee both the principal and any accrued interest.

"FDIC insurance covers depositors' accounts at each insured bank, dollar-for-dollar, including principal and any accrued interest through the date of the insured bank's closing, up to the insurance limit."

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/covered/notinsured.html#insured

CDs carry 100% safety inasmuch as treasuries do. Treasuries are backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government. FDIC insurance is backed by the same full faith and credit of the United States government.

"FDIC deposit insurance is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government. This means that the resources of the United States government stand behind FDIC-insured depositors."

https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/assistance/protection/depaccounts/confidence/symbol.html#Full

CDs and treasuries have the same risk. If the government goes paws-up then the banking system has also collapsed and neither will be paid. Near zero chance of that, though and much bigger issues if it happens.

On thing not mentioned is the $250K limit on CD guarantees. There are workarounds using different institutions, different names on the CDs, etc. but if you're parking larger sums of money, treasuries are less hassle because there are no limits.

Gold is a gamble, not an investment IMO. Better than Bitcoin, but that is not saying much.

I'll go with FDIC insured investments. Realistically, if they go, then what's the point.

Good Point Michael. I was only referring to loss of principal

If you have a 1% 10-year note, and inflation is 5% for 10 years, you get the entire principle balance back.

But you really did lose a lot of purchasing power. Keeping your initial investment should be secondary to keeping purchasing power.

5 year Treasury is 2.63%, which is higher than most bank CDs right now. Also no state tax for Treasuries. The rates are really moving up lately.

5 year Treasury is 2.63%, which is higher than most bank CDs right now. Also no state tax for Treasuries. The rates are really moving up lately.

New issue CDs from your brokerage, whether Fidelity, Schwab, or other are paying more. 3-year is currently 2.6%. 5-year will get you 2.8%-2.9%.

CDs, Treasuries, Gold, safe? None have maintained/enhanced wealth like common stocks.

I was always told all good things come to an end. Does anyone believe our financial system and our version of capitalism has a solid foundation for sustainability? Or are there flaws coupled with abuses that could create the need for significant changes?

I was always told all good things come to an end. Does anyone believe our financial system and our version of capitalism has a solid foundation for sustainability? Or are there flaws coupled with abuses that could create the need for significant changes?
Yes, and the alternative is?

Does anyone believe our financial system and our version of capitalism has a solid foundation for sustainability?

I do. But perhaps your definition of "sustainability" differs from mine.

I think "our financial system and our version of capitalism" will be around long after I'm gone.

There's always alternatives. No need pithy respose. Good day fine sirs.

Back
Top Bottom