Which Mortgage to pay off?

jimnjana

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a 175K mortgage on Primary Residence, 215K mortgage on Second Home. Next week we close on sale of vacation Home and will have about 230K after taxes. Question is which mortgage to payoff? We have another property for sale and intend to use a portion of the proceeds to pay down which ever mortgage is left prior to refinancing it.

Plan to Fire in OCT.
90K in annual pension income
300K in Retirement Savings
50K cash/short-term funds
Retirement budget about 60k in spending

Thanks

Jim

Do both houses qualify for the same tax deductions on interest?

Both are adjustable, (I know...never intended to keep the primary house in GA) current rate is 5.75 for both. The second home adjusts in 7 more years.

Might want to consider paying off the one that adjusts first. Also might want to pay off primary residence first (if you would prefer to live their in an unfortunate event).

BTW, hope you will have some other source of income, which I'm sure you do. Hate to say it but don't think your assets will last long at a 13.6 drawdown rate...

R

Rambler, I think he has a $90K annual pension vs. his $60K in expenses, doesn't he? So he won't need a drawdown at all?

Is there a reason to keep the mortgage you are closest to paying off in time?

Rambler, I think he has a $90K annual pension vs. his $60K in expenses, doesn't he? So he won't need a drawdown at all? Correct, should have a surplus of about 1k per month

I'd have to refi either mortgage. In primary residence I have over 100k in equity already... 2nd home equity has been cut so now only have about 20-30k in equity.

Jim

For the most financial advantage, I'd pay off the higher rate assuming the taxes are a wash.

But if the interest rates were close, I'd probably prefer to pay off my personal residence, because if your finances hit the fan at some point in the future, I'd rather lose a vacation home or investment property to foreclosure than my home.

Thanks

I had thought that paying off the primary residence was the best idea and that has been confirmed by the replies.

We are moving household items to the florida place in the next three weeks or so. Using the spouses military retirement move so it won't cost us much. What a relief it will be to be down to one mortgage. Right now I am planning to work thru Oct. ER will be my 45th Birthday present to myself. I imagine that at some point I will work PT from a home office besides helping the wife with her at-home travel agency.

Jim

Rambler, I think he has a $90K annual pension vs. his $60K in expenses, doesn't he? So he won't need a drawdown at all?

Oops, miss read it...sorry!

R

I'd have to refi either mortgage. In primary residence I have over 100k in equity already... 2nd home equity has been cut so now only have about 20-30k in equity.

Jim

If you are currentlly paying PMI on the 2nd home, you might want to pay it down below the 80% level to eliminate that expense.

I had thought that paying off the primary residence was the best idea and that has been confirmed by the replies.

I agree with the idea of paying off the primary residence mortgage first so that you'll be in a better situation and perhaps able to keep your home in case your finances turn sour unexpectedly.

For deciding which debts to pay off first in general, however, there is the "Debt Snowball" approach that gets people out of debt quickly (Debt Snowball - How the Debt Snowball Helps Pay Off Debt Fast).

Update.

Paid off primary residence yesterday! Feels great, especially after a stressful week or so... (Moved household goods from South Carolina to Atlanta (primary residence) from vacation home, closed on the sale of the vacation home, Moved from ATL and set-up house in Florida)

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom