White water rafting and down hill skiing

But it's crowded and you're going to get bored with those activities very quickly.

Read this over, and want to apologize for sounding so negative.

Read this over, and want to apologize for sounding so negative.

First, maybe I will get bored... which is why Colorado to some degree appeals to me. I could also post here more, but that gets boring after a while too.

Places to hike, locations to explore. Maybe a remote place like WV has that too, but other stuff to do with other people will be important.

Denver also has better sports teams than West Virginia or Salt Lake city, and that would also occupy my time.

I thought one fall I would attempt to attend an NFL game at each stadium. Think it's possible to do 32 stadiums in 17 weeks?

One on Sunday, close one on Monday might do it. Week of Thanksgiving could do 3 stadiums, a few other weeks have Thursday games too, so can 3 stadiums in late fall.

I thought one fall I would attempt to attend an NFL game at each stadium. Think it's possible to do 32 stadiums in 17 weeks?

One on Sunday, close one on Monday might do it. Week of Thanksgiving could do 3 stadiums, a few other weeks have Thursday games too, so can 3 stadiums in late fall.

Expensive but doable. Tickets for the football games are quite expensive and NFL is a good TV sport not a great live sport. On the other hand baseball is a great live sport and cheap and easy to do the whole summer trip to all stadiums

just an opinion
-h

Expensive but doable. Tickets for the football games are quite expensive and NFL is a good TV sport not a great live sport. On the other hand baseball is a great live sport and cheap and easy to do the whole summer trip to all stadiums

just an opinion
-h

yeah, but the last time I watched a baseball game, I think Don mattingly was playing and Harry Carey was still alive.

I'm a soccer/football guy.

I think living in a quieter less busy location is appealing. I have 15-25 years to convince my wife of the same thing.

What are state taxes like?

In all the "rankings" of state taxes WV is consistently about middle-of-the-road. There are the usual property taxes, personal property taxes (car tax), sales taxes, and income taxes. Some people take issue with the car tax, I just look at the total tax burden and appreciate that it's less than MD's, from whence we moved.

The main attraction for us was not having to plan our daily lives around traffic and being an easier drive to DW's immediate family across the river in MD. In about a 35 minute drive there are four stop signs and one traffic light. Anyone who lives in or has been to the DC area can appreciate how significant that is.

Yep, Tahoe is the best I know. You could also do that in British columbia. I have rafted there, in Tahoe and on the Ocoee in TN. Lots of places are OK, like the UP in Michigan but its hard to beat Tahoe. It has real mountains, a big lake, rafting, skiing, kayaking, sailing on the lake, and gambling/shows on the NV side.

I ran the Salmon in Idaho a few years ago (with a guide) -- wow, great run. They've got pretty good skiing there, too.

I also second Bend, Oregon. You've got Bachelor and the Cascades out your back door, and the Deschutes out your front door, and you're a 1/2 day drive from the Snake and Hell's Canyon. Plus, you can run the headwaters of the McKenzie within a couple hours' drive. It's also high desert and sunny in Bend (most of the year).

McCall, Idaho. Great skiing at Mt. Brundage and Tamarack. Great water rafting on the Salmon river, Snake river, etc. Beautiful country.

Rick

I'm an avid skiier (former instructor with 2 racer sons), but don't know much about rafting.

From the perspective of skiing, I'd defiitely consider the Lake Tahoe area (no taxes on the Nevada side). Wonderful skiing, Reno is a reasonable small city, and the Bay area is less than 4 hours away.

Utah has also been one of our top skiing destinations... Park City is a little pricey and overbuilt to my taste; but Salt Lake is a good alternative (and less that an hour from a dozen or more slopes).

I love Colorado, but Summit county is a bit too busy (and altitude could be a problem too). Beaver Creek/Vail are a bit to articial and far (and like Aspen too expensive). I'd consider settling in Boulder though....wonderful city, close to everything (including Denver).

Other good possiblities include the Seatlle area, the Vancouver area, Taos (New Mexico), and Bozeman (Montana).

Good luck!!

Utah has some of the world's best skiing, and typically better (and more) snow than any place mentioned so far.

The best rafting is in the southern part of Utah, but also in Idaho, which is a few hours drive from Salt Lake City.

A couple weekends ago I enjoyed world-class mountain biking in Southern Utah on Saturday, followed by world-class skiing on Sunday. That was pretty fun.

The cost of living in most of Utah is also pretty good.

I guess another option that hasn't been mentioned would be the Durango area of Colorado. You'd be in close proximity to some great rafting in Utah and a little in Colorado, plus you'd have skiing at Telluride and what used to be called Purgatory. It's gorgeous country, and not nearly as crowded and crazy as the Front Range.

Back
Top Bottom