Who changed it to 20%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent Article, but goes against your chain of thought. (I think)

I love the "Get over it" part.
I was simply sharing information re: when you see higher amounts, not meant to agree or disagree with my POV. I didn't know there were defaults or what they were, figured others may not either.
But :horse: :horse: :horse:

DD sent a pic of a bill where she got a $20 tip on a $4 coffee the other day. I was wondering if someone's finger slipped and they meant it to be $2?

When I was a kid (35-40 years ago), 10% was "typical" and 15-20% was "generous".

This is true. And I recall the efforts to raise those targets, namely "prices have gone up so much".

But of course, the fixed percentage always addressed that quite well, tips rose with prices.

I'm still at 15 percent plus or minus. 20%+more of a standard during the height of Covid, and tipping takeout.

You know who never demands the end of tipping? Servers.

That's because they know they have it good and if it truly was bad for them then they'd demand a higher wage instead of tips. But not even a small minority of servers want tips to end.

Very true. Yet do gooders who misunderstand are always trying to "fix" the "problem".

I usually tip around 20% unless the service is terrible, but when we go out for breakfast it is higher, 25% - 30% since the bill is lower but the server is working just as hard if not harder. Why 20% instead of 15% or 18%? I look at how hard these girls (usually) are working and I say to myself, at this point in my life, who needs that extra dollar or two more, me or her? Also, while I almost always pay by credit card I try to always tip in cash. I hope they pocket it and don't pay tax on it.

BTW I tend to patronize a few select eateries in my area and I almost always receive excellent service.

Last edited:
There are hundreds of hard minimum wage jobs. Serving is just one of them, and it's not even that hard compared to many other jobs. Unfortunately, many people have elevated their job to mythical status and act like it's a high skilled occupation that few can perform. And yet most 18 year old kids do just fine after a few shifts of on the job training....just like any other entry level job.

I worked as a waitress for a while going to school. It was easy money in a short amount of time, so that's why I decided to do it, but tips always felt like handouts to me and I couldn't wait to get a more "respectable job". The way some people here are talking confirms that the tip is a type of handout.

There are hundreds of hard minimum wage jobs. Serving is just one of them, and it's not even that hard compared to many other jobs. Unfortunately, many people have elevated their job to mythical status and act like it's a high skilled occupation that few can perform. And yet most 18 year old kids do just fine after a few shifts of on the job training....just like any other entry level job.
Mythical status?

1) The federal tipped employee minimum wage is still $2.13/hr, last increased in 1991. Some states have set higher tipped minimum wages, but many haven’t. How many of the other jobs you’re comparing servers to are paid $2.13/hr, relying on tips to make any decent wage? Furthermore, very few other jobs wages fluctuate like crazy like servers with very good days and very bad days.

2) Have you ever been a server (I have)? It’s not as easy as you think.
- When a restaurant is slow a server has it easy but they’re not making much. When a restaurant is busy they can make good wages, but the pace is more than many people can handle which can easily lead to substandard service and tips.
- Have you ever served todays many entitled customers? Fortunately many customers are decent, but more people than ever think they’re free to treat servers like garbage. And many servers certainly didn’t get treated well when Covid struck, and haven’t come back as a result.

https://www.minimum-wage.org/tipped

[I realize you’re Canadian and you’re most welcome here. But many rightly assume the references here are US based, so you might note you’re talking about Canada. We don’t know what your server tipped wage laws and customs are…]

Last edited:
With the sky high increases in food costs i am rethinking my 20-25% tipping. At one of our regular restaurants the tab has now crept up to over $100 from $70 a year ago. Same food same service. At a 20% tip that's a heck of a raise for the server.

Mythical status?

1) The federal tipped employee minimum wage is still $2.13/hr, last increased in 1991. Some states have set higher tipped minimum wages, but many haven’t. How many of the other jobs you’re comparing servers to are paid $2.13/hr, relying on tips to make any decent wage? Furthermore, very few other jobs wages fluctuate like crazy like servers with very good days and very bad days.

2) Have you ever been a server (I have)? It’s not as easy as you think.
- When a restaurant is slow a server has it easy but they’re not making much. When a restaurant is busy they can make good wages, but the pace is more than many people can handle which can easily lead to substandard service and tips.
- Have you ever served todays many entitled customers? Fortunately many customers are decent, but more people than ever think they’re free to treat servers like garbage. And many servers certainly didn’t get treated well when Covid struck, and haven’t come back as a result.

https://www.minimum-wage.org/tipped

[I realize you’re Canadian and you’re most welcome here. But many rightly assume the references here are US based, so you might note you’re talking about Canada. We don’t know what your server tipped wage laws and customs are…]

There is no minimum wage for servers in Canada, there is a minimum wage in each province ($11.85 - $15.20) that applies to all employees including servers. We're aware of the low server wages in the US and we do tip higher when visiting to make up the difference.

Mythical status...a bit of an exaggeration but not by much based on some of the comments. I stand by my comment that it's a step above an entry level job, I've never served but know several of them very well. They have to hustle when it's busy just like many other jobs. Bad customers are everywhere and it gets worse very year, servers are not the only ones treated poorly.

Covid didn't only eliminate server jobs, but also bartender jobs, music and entertainment jobs, banquet and event jobs, etc. A musician I know would probably be homeless if his wife didn't work because all the gigs ended up and he was unable to give lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom