Who else in long AAPL and breaking out the champagne bottle ?

This is our first 7:1 split. We've had a few splits, but never that high.

Ameritrade must be more sophisticated. My account shows the post split # but has the last at $92.22.

Sent from my TURBO DG2014 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Ameritrade must be more sophisticated. My account shows the post split # but has the last at $92.22.

Looks like they just changed it, because I too have Ameritrade. This morning they were showing the old price with new shares (and large gains!!).

We were PC holdouts in spite of our holding of Apple for over ten years. But we now have an iPhone and an iPad (along with an Samsung and a PC). I must say that I prefer the Apple approach to making everything simple and connected. The Android will be the first to go.

I love the fact that the Photostream is automatically connected to my PC through iCloud. I am sure Android users have been able to replicate this functionality but it is all automatic for us.

A split is a multi stage process. It's not surprising of the different point in time observations. My Fidelity account now shows the correct totals, the detail is incorrect. I've seen the transfer agent side of a split, never realized the brokers would need to coordinate. They have to, there's GTC orders, limits etc. that have to be adjusted.
MRG

I don't own AAPL (I wish I did), but I am surprised that nobody here is mentioning Samsung. Just returned from a trip to Asia and it seems that everyone now is dumping their iPhones to switch to Samsung, and only a few years ago everyone there wanted an iPhone.

Samsung is an amazing company, and are actually more dominant now than Apple outside the US (including Europe) in nearly every consumer category.

I only realized this last year, but as it turns out I have the following appliances from Samsung: TV, microwave, DVD player, laptop and phone.

All were thoroughly researched items and bought in a period of 7+ years without regard for the brand. Only the washing machine is Miele :)

In the phone area they basically make IPhones for 30% less, and you have a more open ecosystem with Android.

You'll never know which way the wind blows though. Apple might continue expanding or fall down again, and hard. They are no Intel with a strategic moat of billions of dollars in R&D. They will face margin erosion and hardball competition also from China. Technology is a brutal game.

Samsung is an amazing company, and are actually more dominant now than Apple outside the US (including Europe) in nearly every consumer category.

I only realized this last year, but as it turns out I have the following appliances from Samsung: TV, microwave, DVD player, laptop and phone.

All were thoroughly researched items and bought in a period of 7+ years without regard for the brand. Only the washing machine is Miele :)

In the phone area they basically make IPhones for 30% less, and you have a more open ecosystem with Android.

You'll never know which way the wind blows though. Apple might continue expanding or fall down again, and hard. They are no Intel with a strategic moat of billions of dollars in R&D. They will face margin erosion and hardball competition also from China. Technology is a brutal game.

Apple's margins are three times Samsung's on higher price points. They have fortress control of their ecosystem. Time will tell; I don't always judge a technology company by its fundamentals, but when I do, I prefer the one with the smartest business model. Stay wealthy, my friend.

Vanguard had a message that there could be some problems with balances etc. because of Apple.... I decided to take a look with the other comments and was surprised on what I saw...

I see the new number of shares... I see the old prices.... and I also see the correct valuation... IOW, they did not multiply the new shares and old price...

I think that I will see a problem with gain (or loss) on Monday...

Samsung is introducing their own OS to compete with iOS. Why do you think they are doing that?

I logged onto our brokerage account and noticed a $20K gain for the day, which was really unusual. Yeah, it was apple. They had the right post-split share price and # shares but somehow the daily change got distorted. I wasn't able to reconstruct the math to get to the change for the day but hey, I'm happy.

I've long since last fall, made some quick money and still long. Expecting positive news with iphone 6.

I bought some last June, when it was trading around $400. I figured that I'd sell the shares after a year so it'd be a long term gain. But I haven't sold yet, since I'm not sure where I'd put the money. I also think that the stock could break $100.

Just sold some of what I bought last year.... took out all my profits for the year and left the original amount invested to see what happens...

Got out close to the daily high... if it decides to take a big dip I might put this money back into it and see what happens....

Back
Top Bottom