Who is thinking of retiring in another country?

I like to retired at Canada. It's comfortable to live there.
grin.gif

sindy9001,

It is -23C in Cowtown, AB, as we speak. It will go down to -25 tonight. It snowed like crazy in Vancouver today. What part of Canadistan did you have in mind?

sindy9001,

It is -23C in Cowtown, AB, as we speak. It will go down to -25 tonight. It snowed like crazy in Vancouver today. What part of Canadistan did you have in mind?

I have found memories of some of the "hills" of Quebec.

Still, nobody picked up on the discussion about 3rd world retirement fantasies. Is it really that different than a move from NYC to Florida to take advantage of the lower costs and warmer weather?

I am glad this thread was revived. I have really enjoyed (re-?)reading it.

Anyway, my current plans (which have changed from time to time) include retiring to a small coastal town in either Panama, Costa Rica or Mexico after burning most of my accumulated frequent flier miles touring Northern Europe (possibly with Estonia as a base), Southeast Asia, and possibly parts of South America.

I have found places in all of these countries (Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico) where I loved the climate and topography; I have always been able to find food that I enjoyed wherever I have been; and, I am somewhat of an introvert (hence the more lurking, less posting here); so, I am not too worried about being able to find close friends, etc.

For my initial retirement, I do want to stay within a fairly short flight to the US since I do still have some elderly relatives who I may need to come back to care for at some point. And, if I should decide to take up any income producing activities after my relocation, the US is likely my most fertile feeding ground.

I am still relatively young (under 40) and healthy; but, access to good health care in addition to the short flight back to the US narrowed my choices. Although, I may need to investigate Nicaragua more thoroughly.

I am taking the coward's way out with retirement planning and letting my company dictate the timing. Even with the current market downturn, I think I could swing a Third World retirement now with plenty of cushion; but, I am frankly glad that I am still accumulating rather than withdrawing. My current employer just went through their second round of layoffs this fiscal year; now, we barely have enough people to keep the lights on. So, I expect to be joining the ranks of the retired relatively soon.

Apologies for the rambling post; but, it has been cathartic on a Monday evening.

Doug,

You dropped a tuff one on us. Well it might be hard to find your paradise, but I have some ideas, assuming you have no other passports then an American..

1. Australia (Investor Retirement (Subclass 405))

2. New Zealand (Investing in New Zealand)

3. U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico?

4. Oman (residency visa with purchase of a property) Democracy, no way, but excellent infrastructure, amazing beaches, and excellent people.

Billman

I have been trying to get employment in Oman. It is supposed to be the best of the Middle East as far as the people go. (Anybody have any suggestions:confused:?)

Oman was pretty hard hit by the last hurricane (cyclone) a few years back. Much flooding.

Ed

ED, what's your line of work, I may be able to point you in the right direction. Are you looking into Muscat or Salalah?

Here is what I want to explore: Is it healthy to have escapist fantasies even if monetarily 90% of the board could turn the fantasy into reality?
But of course. :D

Perhaps a foot note: It is my fantasy, no need to burst my bubble.:whistle:

This crash has cemented me of moving out of California. Maybe not to another country but to another state. :)

billman,

I am a senior chemical engineer / process engineer. Muscat is fine. Salalah is fine. Anyplace they ain't shooting at Americans is fine with me.

You can send me a Private Message. To PM me, double-click on my name above my avatar and follow the instructions.

Ed

Doug,

You dropped a tuff one on us. Well it might be hard to find your paradise, but I have some ideas, assuming you have no other passports then an American..

4. Oman (residency visa with purchase of a property) Democracy, no way, but excellent infrastructure, amazing beaches, and excellent people.

Billman

Wow, it doesn't look that easy to retire to New Zealand. Even with the weakness of the NZ dollar, you have to be a multimillionaire (in American dollars), and, if you are over age 54, a multi multi millionaire. And there is a quota system on top of all that.

New Zealand is fascinating, but if I go it will only be to visit . . . . :)

Doug,

Billman

I can talk a little bit about Puerto Rico. It has everything to offer that the US has (dollar, no passport needed, modern democracy, WalMart, etc) but in a gorgeous tropical location. The problem is, in order to live the typical "gringo" lifestyle to which most of us are accustomed, it's as or more expensive than stateside.

It's possible to live a "local" lifestyle, but it's not that much cheaper, and I wouldn't recommend it to the average person. Not unless one was fluent in spanish, could put up with massive govt bureaucracy, could handle random electric and water outages, etc.

We have a snowbird condo overlooking the ocean, and really enjoy the winters here, but even for us I don't think we could do it year round.

No, see you pay and then you come back here to tell us how it is. :whistle:

I was just watching a Samantha Brown report on Buenos Aires. Cab rides are $3 and a fully custom leather jacket made in 4 hours is $165. There also are daily free showings of Evita. OK, just kidding because that last one would be a reason to not live in a place.

The thing with living in another country is that you have to fit in, make friends, and find interesting activities to occupy your day. Otherwise, the place becomes a trap that you can't afford to leave. It's probably something to try out between the next job layover before making the full time commitment.

I was thinking of moving from Canada and retiring in Florida but as i've aged my tolerance for heat/humidity has waned,the last 2 trips to the St Pete area have been like living in a sauna for the entire stay and i find the return to the cooler climate of the north much more tolerable.

The Pacific coast is much cooler than the Caribbean. We are at latitude 20 degrees north and experience low humidity and cooling ocean breezes.

Temperatures run from 22 C overnight to 32 C daytime highs.

overseas retirement

Been a good ramble about some other countrys to try out,i'm trying to learn as much as i can have never traveled much and have always wanted to :) i'm 27 years in auto sector an can go with 28 so days are numbered,would really like to see the ruins in cambodia,thinking if i go native to alot of these places i'll save enough to be able to continue travels,maybe 3 to 6 month stretchs at a time,most of my money is in house that i not going to sell an in pension that i going to spend :) so no luxury condos with maids for me lol but a cup of rice an piece of fish a day an i'm good to go um maybe a beer to :whistle:

That lifestyle will take you far, tutashen. You could also teach english here and there - I've heard native speakers ar ein high demand in SE Asia nowadays. I'd stay somewhere between your lifestyle and the luxury condo, which I think is very affordable for the RE's SWR I have seen here. Thailand and Malaysia at least. Singapore is way too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom