Who still files income tax via snail mail?

And how long did you wait at the Post Office?
There is almost never a line at our rural PO. There is just 2 windows and one is always open.

There are never any lines at either of the two banks in town, no lines at the drivers license office, no lines at the county registration/license tags office or at the tax offices. About the only time I ever see lines anywhere around here is on election day. Sometimes I have had to wait 5 or 10 minutes to vote.

Last edited:
My daughter e-filed on Sunday and already got her refund. I have no idea why anyone files by mail.

I do, see above. Saved 20 bucks. But how long was the drive to the "rural post office"

^^^^^
I pick up my mail in town about twice a week at my PO box so I'm going to be there anyway so it's not an extra trip for us. Usually stop at the bank and/or eat out while we're in town too.

Last edited:
I usually file on paper and mail my documents at the post office. Just seems safer. E-filing carries risk of hacking. Got enough of that already.

I usually owe a small amount or have a small overpayment that I roll to the next year.

I usually file on paper and mail my documents at the post office. Just seems safer. E-filing carries risk of hacking. Got enough of that already.

I usually owe a small amount or have a small overpayment that I roll to the next year.

I suppose, but you also get that almost instant verification that your return was accepted, which is comforting. As I understand it, if someone did the scam of filing as you, your e-file would be rejected, and at east you would know at that point. That could take ages with paper filing.

A quick search says the IRS was hacked back in 2015, but they got to the 'get transcripts' area, which exist for both paper and e-filed. And the articles about 'vulnerabilities' at the tax software sites looked to be mainly not having enough protection against phishing emails - but those are easily avoided - never click a link in an email like that, go directly to the site.

I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just saying I'm not going to lose sleep over this.

-ERD50

I suppose, but you also get that almost instant verification that your return was accepted, which is comforting. As I understand it, if someone did the scam of filing as you, your e-file would be rejected, and at east you would know at that point. That could take ages with paper filing.

Yep! Somewhat similar story. Many, many years ago, we adopted 4 kids. We were foster parents. When it was apparent their folks were not going to get their act together, we adopted them. By that time, 1-2 years, we loved each other anyway.

One kid's birth parent still claimed ALL her kids, though the State had taken all away, She also filed very, very early! For those reasons, I could not e-file for many years, because one of my dependents was claimed by someone else. It was a real bummer. Snail mail was the only choice.

A quick search says the IRS was hacked back in 2015, but they got to the 'get transcripts' area, which exist for both paper and e-filed. And the articles about 'vulnerabilities' at the tax software sites looked to be mainly not having enough protection against phishing emails - but those are easily avoided - never click a link in an email like that, go directly to the site.

I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just saying I'm not going to lose sleep over this.

-ERD50
Sure. Everyone can make their own decision. But it is more than IRS being hacked. It is the e-file agent's website I am more concerned about. When you e-file, your return goes there as well. More copies equals more risk.

I have never had a problem filing by mail. It's one trip to the post office every year, fill out the certified mail form, pay a few bucks and, boom, done.

I have never had a problem filing by mail. It's one trip to the post office every year, fill out the certified mail form, pay a few bucks and, boom, done.

Since my CPA e-files, I kinda miss the "party" atmosphere at the USPS as apparently it is (was) "all hands on deck" the last evening. USPS folks canceled the postage right there in front of you, took the certification slips, etc. and give you a smile and a receipt. I never knew how they did it so cheerfully (unless, perhaps, they were being paid double time and a half.):cool:

Right, back in the day, when we filed on the last night, USPS uniformed folks waited on a circle close to the mail boxes and took envelopes from folks in cars and put them in those handy, dandy plastic bins. One guy trudged into the building with a couple of the boxes while other boxes were being filled up. It was kind of a ritual until e-file took away all the "fun."

Long before e-file, long before computers... my Dad was self employed and made quarterly estimated payments. One night my boyfriend and I got home a little before my 11:00 pm curfew. My Dad was so glad to see us because he had forgotten to get his estimated payment in the mail and the deadline was at midnight! He was already in his pajamas and heading for bed so he asked if we could do him a huge favor and get his check to the downtown main post office (20-30 minute drive) where he knew they would have USPS employees accepting the mail.

So my boyfriend and I had a post curfew caper that my father really appreciated! Boyfriend later became DH. My Dad always liked him!

Last edited:
Back in the days before e-filing I would sometimes send my returns...the day after tax day.

Only had to pay up once.

Yes. Took forever last year but less than a month this year.

Turn-Around Time

We filed our 2022 Fed return (paper) on 4/14. Yesterday we received our refund check dated 5/10. Less than one month turn-around!

I don't know what we did wrong this year and for the past 3 years or so it has taken on average 4 months to receive any refund. I don't recall such a short turn-around in decades (at least for us).

Just FYI for this discussion.

_B

Maybe I'm missing something... When you paper-file taxes for your kids, how do you know that their returns have been accepted & processed?

We had to paper-file for my kids this year (first time, unable to e-file for them -- otherwise I always e-file for DW & I). They owed ~$300 each, due to a larger-than-typical Alaska PFD + UTMA earnings. As expected, the Treasury cashed our checks within a couple weeks, but I can't figure a simple way to confirm that their tax returns are processed & put to bed.

The 'where's my refund' thing only works if you're due a refund. I can get my own records through my IRS account (via ID.me), but the ID.me system won't verify kids under 18, therefore I can't create an IRS account to access my kids' tax records.

I'm afraid that my only option would be to call the IRS & burn 1-4 hours of my time. Anything I'm missing? Or maybe it just doesn't matter? But the stories of lost returns make me nervous...

They cashed my check. If they have questions, they'll ask. That's all I need to know.

Maybe I'm missing something... When you paper-file taxes for your kids, how do you know that their returns have been accepted & processed?

We had to paper-file for my kids this year (first time, unable to e-file for them -- otherwise I always e-file for DW & I). They owed ~$300 each, due to a larger-than-typical Alaska PFD + UTMA earnings. As expected, the Treasury cashed our checks within a couple weeks, but I can't figure a simple way to confirm that their tax returns are processed & put to bed.

The 'where's my refund' thing only works if you're due a refund. I can get my own records through my IRS account (via ID.me), but the ID.me system won't verify kids under 18, therefore I can't create an IRS account to access my kids' tax records.

I'm afraid that my only option would be to call the IRS & burn 1-4 hours of my time. Anything I'm missing? Or maybe it just doesn't matter? But the stories of lost returns make me nervous...

I send my tax return, along with an enclosed check, certified mail, return receipt requested. The green card and my cashed check are my proof of having filed, and thus having complied with my responsibilities under the tax laws. When or whether the IRS processes my return is of no interest to me. The IRS will let me know if there's a problem. They're not shy and neither am I.

Back
Top Bottom