Who still files income tax via snail mail?

For a while I had to file paper (I was an ex-pat with a lot of foreign stuff).

After I filed 2009 they sent me a CP letter and in the middle of the process they proceeded to lose my entire file. Return, correspondence, everything. I had to provide a new copy of the whole sequence and start over. It didn't resolve until 2012.

I feel your pain. My mess entered the pandemic (2020) and went silent, except for the fine and interest monthly letters. Calling was a waste of time and all offices were closed. Huge mess getting it fixed. Truly an incompetent organization.

I feel your pain. My mess entered the pandemic (2020) and went silent, except for the fine and interest monthly letters. Calling was a waste of time and all offices were closed. Huge mess getting it fixed. Truly an incompetent organization.

While I understand your pain, I am not sure I would call the whole organization incompetent. The pandemic (or at least the reaction to it) caused LOTS of govt agencies to shut down. Not that I am a fan, but I have actually never had a bad experience with them (knock on wood).

While I understand your pain, I am not sure I would call the whole organization incompetent. The pandemic (or at least the reaction to it) caused LOTS of govt agencies to shut down. Not that I am a fan, but I have actually never had a bad experience with them (knock on wood).

The incompetence happened rose it's head before the pandemic and just continued through it.

I used to. I know the gubmint can track down any detail of my life they want to but I didn't like putting it in a nicely-formatted file wrapped up and tied with a bow.

Then COVID happened. Of course, I was owed a giant refund for 2019. Mailed in and waited, waited, waited.... But they said don't do a duplicate e-file. My brother the tax CPA said to do it. Got the refund a few weeks later.

So now I e-file and I apply any refund to next year's taxes so I don't even have to worry about getting a refund.

Haven’t done a paper return in I can’t remember how long. After reading the horror stories on forums here and elsewhere about lost and never processed returns, I am glad I continue to efile.

I'll gladly fork over the $20 to file state to avoid the potential morass of dealing with a lost return. I gladly pay TT the $70/yr for the ease of just putting numbers in boxes.

Cheap compared to the $500-1000 for a CPA.

With you on that. I just tipped a waiter $35 for dinner the other night. Why would $20 to file a state return be an unusual expense? I don't get it sometimes. We talk about $50k+ cars, but don't want to spend $20 to e-file.

I get being frugal, but at some time let loose a little for you convenience.

But, of course, I am preaching to the choir with RobbieB:D

Hey, it took me a while too. I'd use TT to do it and print and snail mail. But it not quite that simple eh?

For one you need at least certified (proof if lost) and you stand in line at the Post Office for that. Maybe 15 minutes? When I retired I was at $80/hr, so the time in line (never mind the drive) was $20.

But hey, we all learn eh?

That's why I go to the post office and send it certified mail. Then I have proof that the IRS got it.
I used to do this several times a year and hated it, I was so relieved when I discovered EFTPS (along with e-filing).

Last edited:
Linux guy here and none of the tax prep software runs natively so I use a PDF editor and print and mail the return certified.

I used to do this several times a year and hated it, I was so relieved when I discovered EFTPS.
EFTPS rejected me. Numerous times.

EFTPS rejected me. Numerous times.

You can use Direct Pay. https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

But I always e-file fed and state. If I ever owe I just schedule directly through TurboTax to pay on 4/15.

I wonder why some of you file by mail when you could use the state website to enter your tax info for free. I know CA and MA has the ability to do this.

I've found that mail service in the San Diego area has been unreliable. (Could be problems in other parts of the country too.) I've been sent bills that were never received. Have also mailed out cards that never arrived at destination. I just don't trust the USPS in this area. I now do everything online whenever possible.

Last edited:
Linux guy here and none of the tax prep software runs natively so I use a PDF editor and print and mail the return certified.

Linux user here too, I use the online versions (TaxAct, but I think all the major players have this option). It's nice because it's always updated on their server. When I used the desktop version on a Mac, every time I logged on it was long update process (that might have been on dial up, can't recall).

Doing what-if scenarios is a bit more awkward, but I don't really need that any more.

-ERD50

Had to file my State Business Income tax by mail. My state wouldn't let me e-file that for some reason.

I paper file trust returns (1041 and supporting) that I have to prepare. For both fed and state. Mostly because I refuse to pay the high cost of Turbo Tax in order to electronically prepare and file trust returns. I do the electronic pdf filling out, but print paper copies for filing.

I do e-file fed and state for my personal returns and the personal returns I prepare for my sister.

I filed my 2021 return by snail mail certified March 1, 2022. It was signed for by the IRS on March 8, 2022. It appeared in my transcripts in August, 2022. Nothing has happened since then. I have spoken to them three or four times. They always say the same thing. Nothing is flagged on the return as a problem and give it another month. I got my 2022 refund a week or two ago. I think the priority is so much on newer returns that even the 2022 paper returns will be processed before the 2021 paper returns. I don't even have a progress bar yet.

...I wonder why some of you file by mail when you could use the state website to enter your tax info for free. I know CA and MA has the ability to do this...

The free CA e-filing program only works for very basic returns. Our fed return has Sched B, Sched E, a Roth Conversion, and the HSA deduction, any one of which means the CA return can't be done with CalFile.

I print out our CA return and walk over to the Post Office to mail it via regular first class mail, not certified. I pay the tax due online, so even if the paper return doesn't get there, the only cost will be some more postage to send another copy, but so far it's always made it.

This year we don't have to file until Oct 16, so I'm in no rush. I'll file for the Fed refund this week and schedule the state payment for Oct. The paperwork will just get mailed next time I'm heading over to the PO for something else.

With you on that. I just tipped a waiter $35 for dinner the other night. Why would $20 to file a state return be an unusual expense? I don't get it sometimes. We talk about $50k+ cars, but don't want to spend $20 to e-file.

I get being frugal, but at some time let loose a little for you convenience.

But, of course, I am preaching to the choir with RobbieB:D

It's not about frugality (for me anyway). Having to pay the middleman again when I'm already paying taxes just really grates on my nerves. If they would include the e-filing fee with the state software, I would happily pay the higher price for the software and I would e-file the return. I am well aware that this is not logical and my time has value, etc, etc, but I still feel better when I don't have to pay that stupid $25.

Also, I can walk to the PO and I usually run into someone I know, so I think of it as bonus exercise and socialization.

No way. I’ve seen those photos of bulging IRS file cabinets of paper returns.

That looks like old info, which I've found often comes up in a search. I added "2022" and got this:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

How quickly will I get my refund? (updated January 30, 2023)

We issue most refunds in less than 21 calendar days. However, if you filed on paper and are expecting a refund, it could take four weeks or more to process your return. Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund.
Could be. Maybe amended returns are different, but I filed amended in Mar last year and got the refund Dec 26th. My Feb eFile return never did show up on “Where’s My Refund” and since I apply refunds to next year I still don’t know for sure. The IRS is reportedly still way understaffed historically.

Last edited:
DS e-filed his return to IRS on Saturday, March 4. Accepted Monday, March 6. His refund was deposited Monday, March 13. One week turnaround for him.

I've returned to paper filing since retiring 7 years ago. Pretty simple since most of my income is SS, pension, IRA w/d's and conversions. All taxable accounts are in simple interest bearing savings, CD's and treasuries. Since I always owe I make the payment online via my IRS account, then mail the paper forms. The payment is recorded and I don't care when or if they process the paperwork.

I've returned to paper filing since retiring 7 years ago. Pretty simple since most of my income is SS, pension, IRA w/d's and conversions. All taxable accounts are in simple interest bearing savings, CD's and treasuries. Since I always owe I make the payment online via my IRS account, then mail the paper forms. The payment is recorded and I don't care when or if they process the paperwork.

For the first time in around 20 years, I was due a federal refund for 2021, and a rather large one ($745), because the actual ACA premium subsidy greatly exceeded what I got, some of it due to the ARP. To better monitor the very slow progress of getting the refund, I set up an IRS account. I filed on paper in February 2022 but didn't get the refund (direct-deposited) until July, with a few bucks in interest.

When I file my 2022 return later this month, owing again, I will use the account I set up (like what you did) to make the payment when I mail out my paper return. I never tried this before, but I assume it is easier than making the payment via DirectPay because a payment using my IRS account will already have my personal information in it, not that DirectPay was difficult. Is there anything you can tell me in advance I should watch out for?

I file paper. Last year I took a portion of our return. I don't usually. We had it within two weeks, but I rolled forward a larger portion than I took, so don't know if that mattered.

Back
Top Bottom