Who Uses a VPN

For my work laptop, we use a Cisco product.
For my personal laptop, I usually don't go anywhere with it unless I'm on vacation. Then I get a 1 month subscription with NordVPN and off I go.

We travel a lot and VPN’s are a necessity if you carry personal/sensitive/financial data on any device that connects to the internet. We’ve had several VPN contracts over the years and have found NordVPN to work the best for us. It also has been able to keep ahead of Netflix and AmazonPrime in terms of allowing unrestricted access to our US accounts while abroad. As an added bonus its routers are fast enough to allow me to continue my online game habit which is a nice bonus!

If you want something cheap and reliable and speed/Netflix isn’t a priority then I recommend ProtonVPN. I think you can still get it for free along with their encrypted mail service (also free) ProtonMail.

Here are my stupid questions :angel: ...

If using a VPN, is logging in to accounts transparent? Or is there something I need to do?

Isn't one of the advantages of using a VPN setting the location to a different country? But if I log on to say, Amazon or FB or my bank and that appears from a different country, would that cause issues? Or should I stick to the same country to not confuse sites like my bank and Amazon?

Last edited:
The site you are logging into may see a different ip address (it will be provided by the VPN server) that you are coming from than normal. Most sites won't care, but some (especially financial sites) may ask you to authenticate yourself again.

I have my OpenVPN (free) server set up on my Synology NAS, that is behind my router. So, when I connect from another location, it connects to my home IP, so the IP looks the same as normal. This is another advantage, other than it is free, to run your own VPN server.

Some routers also provide a VPN server that works with an Open VPN client. My TP-Link does, and I think at least some Netgear routers do too. No extra hardware needed for a free VPN server!

For a client, I use Tunnelblick on my Macs. There are Windows clients out there too.

Last edited:
The site you are logging into may see a different ip address (it will be provided by the VPN server) that you are coming from than normal. Most sites won't care, but some (especially financial sites) may ask you to authenticate yourself again.

I have my OpenVPN (free) server set up on my Synology NAS, that is behind my router. So, when I connect from another location, it connects to my home IP, so the IP looks the same as normal. This is another advantage, other than it is free, to run your own VPN server.

Some routers also provide a VPN server that works with an Open VPN client. My TP-Link does, and I think at least some Netgear routers do too. No extra hardware needed for a free VPN server!

For a client, I use Tunnelblick on my Macs. There are Windows clients out there too.

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't jumped in with using a VPN service, but good to know.

We travel a lot and VPN’s are a necessity if you carry personal/sensitive/financial data on any device that connects to the internet. We’ve had several VPN contracts over the years and have found NordVPN to work the best for us. It also has been able to keep ahead of Netflix and AmazonPrime in terms of allowing unrestricted access to our US accounts while abroad. As an added bonus its routers are fast enough to allow me to continue my online game habit which is a nice bonus!

If you want something cheap and reliable and speed/Netflix isn’t a priority then I recommend ProtonVPN. I think you can still get it for free along with their encrypted mail service (also free) ProtonMail.

I’ve ProtonMail and VPN. I use the paid VPN service for the faster speed. Use the free encrypted mail server.

skimmed thru a few replies. used to use one - slowed connections too much. also seemed to interfere with sites that I want to remember me. use cable at home, up north. winters and on the road, use hotel or RV park wifi, except when that's slow, or going to sensitive sites, like banking. have mobile BB for that

I went for the Nord VPN deal and use it mainly to access US content from overseas.

Speeds are spotty sometimes.

One thing I notice is that when I use VPN at home, some sites like BoA will not load at all.

UK poster here. I use ExpressVPN as it has an app that installs on an Amazon Firestick. We travel abroad frequently and this allows to access regular British TV stations. Mrs PD can keep up with her regular programs and this keeps her happy!

My Canadian wife can’t wait for British made Masterpiece Theatre to show up in Canada, so I have found ExpressVPN (London server) to work well tapping into free UK streaming. Just binged Sanditon on ITV which is coming to NA PBS in January. Very well done for Downton Abby type fans. If you register with ITV, have a UK postal code handy.

Is ITV the BBC thing?

BBC requires any kind of login? Even if you can spoof the IP address, I'm surprised they're not authenticating a UK physical address.

VPN fans, I just noticed that OfficeDepot is going to have Norton 360 Deluxe for 5 devices, for $9.99 on Black Friday weekend (28th-30th). This includes unlimited VPN, which is why I mention it here. See https://www.officedepot.com/cm/marketing/blackfriday

So, since you have to have an AntiVirus program anyway (for up to 5 devices), you get a VPN for free for a year (and 50GB cloud backup space, LifeLock, etc).

One assumes this is available online too, so you don't have to risk your life in the store that weekend.

Any better VPN deals coming up?

I updated the Speedtest app for iOS this morning and see they now offer free Speedtest VPN within the app. My current (paid) VPN will expire next year so this might be an option.

They clearly label it as “beta” right now so I won’t jump in immediately but it’s no extra work to keep the app updated.

[ADDED] It looks like the beta is a free trial period and there are limits imposed, so not as flexible.

Last edited:
I updated the Speedtest app for iOS this morning and see they now offer free Speedtest VPN within the app. My current (paid) VPN will expire next year so this might be an option.

They clearly label it as “beta” right now so I won’t jump in immediately but it’s no extra work to keep the app updated.

[ADDED] It looks like the beta is a free trial period and there are limits imposed, so not as flexible.

Yeah, free VPNs are generally much worse than the better paid ones. They typically have restrictive limits on bandwidth (e.g. 500MB/month) and/or don't have basic features like access to Netflix streaming. Also, performance can be very poor due to your traffic being routed through a small number of overloaded servers. When it comes to VPNs, you truly get what you pay for, IMHO.

Yeah, free VPNs are generally much worse than the better paid ones. They typically have restrictive limits on bandwidth (e.g. 500MB/month) and/or don't have basic features like access to Netflix streaming. Also, performance can be very poor due to your traffic being routed through a small number of overloaded servers. When it comes to VPNs, you truly get what you pay for, IMHO.

Sounds right to me.

I’ve had my paid VPN (Private Internet Access) for almost two years. It’s due to expire March 2020. Now that I have personal experience, I don’t think I really need a VPN at all. I’ve rarely enabled it.

I can see their use in cases where one wants to change their IP address for things like getting around sports blackouts or other region-specific restrictions but I’ve never wanted to do that.

The other thing is encryption but I think if someone is an aware user you can find protected hot spots. It helps if you’re ER and have some leeway in Internet use/access (instead of being in the position of a road warrior).

So I’ll probably drop VPN use. It’ll be another small savings, like shopping for cell plans.

Last edited:
I don't have a VPN by paid subscription.

When I need some privacy, I use a browser with built-in VPN and on mobile, like when at a hotel or airport, I use a free VPN (VPNhub -- yes, from the creators of that other hub :rolleyes:).

Though maybe not as protected as a full VPN service (for example no VPN when using my email reader program), still free and seems to work as with VPN browser or VPNhub on, I see the IP addresses showing not my regular PC's IP address location. Oh yeah, also, what I use is free as in beer :cool:.

I'm using it when overseas, to stream stuff.

My free VPN service is fine, not slow nearly all the time. One time I picked a server in another country, and it was slow.

However I get 50 Gigs free usage each month, use about 1/100th of that, but nice to know I have that bandwidth.

On any VPN, if you put some thought into it, I believe selecting a server in some country that is currently at 4am, will mean that server is under-utilized.

Interesting discussion. My VPN service expired just a few days ago. I don't use it that much since my iPad and iPhone and their apps are pretty well encrypted. But, I am open to reasons why I should renew use of a VPN.

My free VPN service is fine, not slow nearly all the time. One time I picked a server in another country, and it was slow.

However I get 50 Gigs free usage each month, use about 1/100th of that, but nice to know I have that bandwidth.

On any VPN, if you put some thought into it, I believe selecting a server in some country that is currently at 4am, will mean that server is under-utilized.

Which service is that?

I still don't understand why people pay for a VPN service, when half the routers out there have it built in for free. I guess people just don't know technically how to use it (or realize that they have it).

I still don't understand why people pay for a VPN service, when half the routers out there have it built in for free. I guess people just don't know technically how to use it (or realize that they have it).

I use my VPN for wifi out and about with my phone. I don't have a use for it at home. at home it slows things down and many sites I go to don't like the VPN servers

^^^^ Yeah there is no reason to use one at home, that I can think of. I only use mine when my Mac and I are traveling or not at home. When I go to Italy next Spring, I will use it with my iPad when on hotel/airport WiFi.

I have compared surfing from
___ Mac -> hotel wifi etc -> cnn.com
versus
___ Mac -> hotel wifi etc -> home router with VPN server -> cnn.com
and have not noticed much of a difference. I suspect if you are gaming you would see a difference with the extra hop.

I used Open VPN server on my router but when I switched from Comcast to AT&T U-verse, it would no longer work.

AT&T seems to be blocking some ports.

I used Open VPN server on my router but when I switched from Comcast to AT&T U-verse, it would no longer work.

AT&T seems to be blocking some ports.

I had the same problem when I switched from Spectrum to AT&T fiber. You need to set it up for IP Passthrough, and set NAT/Gaming up to pass port 1194 through the firewall. Do some Googling.

Back
Top Bottom