Hi there

NASDAQ is up ~1% today
S and P up .75%

yet VTI is up .16%

doesnt look like its ex dividend either

anyone have idea?

doesnt make sense given its a total market ETF

thx

Yesterday VTI indicated it was up 0.24%, but VTSAX/FSKAX were both down 0.40% according to my data. Maybe the new calculation is based on the incorrect closing value from yesterday and things will be correct starting tomorrow.

Hi there

NASDAQ is up ~1% today
S and P up .75%

yet VTI is up .16%

doesnt look like its ex dividend either

anyone have idea?

doesnt make sense given its a total market ETF

thx
S&P 500 (500 companies)
NASDAQ-100 (100 companies)
NASDAQ Comp (3700+ companies)
VTI (3900+)

are different indices.

Look at the top 10 or top 20 companies in each, and that explains different movement among them.

S&P 500 (500 companies)
NASDAQ-100 (100 companies)
NASDAQ Comp (3700+ companies)
VTI (3900+)

are different indices.

Look at the top 10 or top 20 companies in each, and that explains different movement among them.

Still doesn't add up
NASDAQ closed up .73%
S and P closed up .76%
VTI up only .15%

I think N02L84ER might be right on this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bogleheads/comments/11gc5li/can_someone_explain_this_price_behavior_isnt_vt/

This seems very odd to me...a bit unnerving honestly.....

Yesterday VTI indicated it was up 0.24%, but VTSAX/FSKAX were both down 0.40% according to my data. Maybe the new calculation is based on the incorrect closing value from yesterday and things will be correct starting tomorrow.

You can see in the trading activity that at the last moment before the market closed there was a spike in the price to a little above $200 / share which gave VTI a gain for the day and its closing price. Basically, it did even out today it looks like.

I went over and looked at it. I have STSAX and usually VTI tracks it exactly (same percent up or down) end of day. I did not look at them after the market closed yesterday.

Today, they did not track. When I clicked into one of the links off of the profile page, I saw that the change in price of the ETF was $.31 or .16 % and the change of the NAV was $1.44 or .72%. It appeared (and I could be reading it wrong) that the price was actually coming close to the NAV by the end of the day.

Still doesn't add up
NASDAQ closed up .73%
S and P closed up .76%
VTI up only .15%

I think N02L84ER might be right on this
The reddit discussion makes sense too.

Still, these are different indices. And an ETF is equivalent to its mutual fund. But not exactly.

Fortunately we have regulation and process which corrects such mistakes.

Is there a large cap or VTI type index that excludes the FAANG stocks?

Is there a large cap or VTI type index that excludes the FAANG stocks?

I'm not aware of any that just exclude those five or so stocks. But something like Vanguard Value Index Fund (VVIAX, or VTV as ETF) does along with a lot of other "growth" exclusions.

Back
Top Bottom