Why retire early?

I guess I always thought I would retire early. I'm 41 and a saver and will likely be in a financial position to do so. We have about 11x our gross income or 19x estimated retirement expenses in savings. I'm having trouble figuring out what I would do with myself, however, if I stopped working. I know people say you only have so much time left, etc., but I feel like I do everything I want to already and work FT plus raise a child. I work out, see my friends, eat well, vacation a few times a year, volunteer, spend time with my DH, relax, craft, am learning French for fun, go to DD's events, watch TV... I am lucky to have found a job that requires only 30-35 hours a week and pays $135k with a 15 min door to desk commute. It's a contract, however and may not last more than another 4-5 years. I guess I feel like if you will regret not doing something if you die, you should do it now regardless. If I'm diagnosed with cancer or another life-threatening illness, it will suck, but I don't think I'll have true regrets about how I spend my time. Maybe things will change in an unpredictable way. Of course, I'll never regret saving too much if I become disabled.

So, do you want to retire early? If so, what will you do with the extra time? Are you worried about dying before you do something? If so, why not do it now?

Maybe I'm just a boring person.

It sounds like you are well on your way to the financial end of FIRE (the FI part). If you still love your j*b and the people with which you w*rk I see no reason to be too concerned that you don't necessarily want to retire at this point. I suggest you keep enjoying your life (now that you are w*rking and in the future when you feel the "call" to retire.) I honestly believe you will know when it is time to leave. Just keep up the saving and investing so you will be flexible enough to leave if your situation suddenly changes.

I too was enjoying my w*rk - until I didn't. Being ready (financially) to go meant a lot. YMMV

Life, liberty and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

So I'm retiring early (hopefully next year at 55) from my megacorp job.

the main reason is that I hate my job and as another poster mentioned I'm getting less and less tolerant of the BS this company is putting me through.

I'm spending this year researching other things I would like to do. I am not the type to sit at home and do nothing, not that that is what early retirees do.

So I'm retiring early (hopefully next year at 55) from my megacorp job.

the main reason is that I hate my job and as another poster mentioned I'm getting less and less tolerant of the BS this company is putting me through.

I'm spending this year researching other things I would like to do. I am not the type to sit at home and do nothing, not that that is what early retirees do.

Dont let the moss grow on your rear Clover because once it starts.....I had all sorts of plans today, but due to my early retirement laziness all I accomplished was happy hour beer and dinner with my girlfriend after she got off work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont let the moss grow on your rear Clover because once it starts.....
Doing that and converting various substances to water are two of my favourite tasks.

(A long-retired friend gave us this advice: "Don't plan more than one big thing each day." Always leave room for the unplanned!)

Back
Top Bottom