Widow(er) tax filing status question

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Before I call my CPA (and go on the clock!) I thought I'd ask here. In my meeting this afternoon with the Estate lawyer she is explaining the trusts & how to fund mine. Since Mrs Scrapr died I was asking about funding a DAF. And if it's better to fund that this year while I would file Joint or next year when i file Single.

She brought up something I've heard somewhere in the ether but know zippo about. She said there may be a way to file an additional Joint return for 1 or 2 more years beyond the year of death.

I'm not asking for code sections but is this a "thing"? Is it something to help spouses get everything sorted? What is the broad outline for filing requirements?

thanks for your help

This may be what they are referring to.

Although a joint return cannot be filed with the deceased spouse for a tax year after the year of death, the surviving spouse can use the married filing jointly tax rates and standard deduction amount by filing as a "qualified widow(er)" in each of the following two years. To qualify, the surviving spouse must be unmarried and pay more than half the cost of maintaining the principal home for the entire year of a child who qualifies for a dependency exemption on the surviving spouse's return.

8 Tax Issues to Consider When Your Spouse Dies

Looks like a wild goose chase for most retirees.

This may be what they are referring to.

Looks like a wild goose chase for most retirees.

yep...dependent child knocks me out.Hmmm, let me do some addition here...June + 9 months....rats! So close

Thanks. The Estate lawyer wasn't answering many of my tax questions

.................................. I was asking about funding a DAF. And if it's better to fund that this year while I would file Joint or next year when i file Single.

Just thinking out loud...................might depend on what other deductions you have and how close they come to the standard deduction. If you don't have many, seems like you would not get much benefit from the first part of the DAF contributions so next yr when the single standard deduction is the alternate would be easier to exceed w/ your donations. Your tax rate might be higher as a single so the benefit of the donations would be higher then.

Just thinking out loud...................might depend on what other deductions you have and how close they come to the standard deduction. If you don't have many, seems like you would not get much benefit from the first part of the DAF contributions so next yr when the single standard deduction is the alternate would be easier to exceed w/ your donations. Your tax rate might be higher as a single so the benefit of the donations would be higher then.

I think that is my plan. I will run it by the CPA when I call her. I have a pretty good log of questions already for her

Back
Top Bottom