Window Treatments

mitchjav

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all - in new home we'll be moving into in the Spring, there are lots of Windows - we're starting to think about window treatments and the cost associated with shades and curtains - would like to let in lots of light and it the house will be all one level - the looking is all ahead of us in terms of style and options - preference is to keep it light and simple - but wondering if anyone knows of any good, cost-effective providers or if anyone has any recommendations on shades.

TIA

We have a combination of custom made white shutters, and custom made Hunter Douglas roller shades in a fabric that compliments our wall color, throughout the entire house. Same company used for both, including installation, so other than writing the check, it couldn't have been easier.

We used the custom Hunter Douglas shades in the rooms/windows where we wanted to maximize either the views or the sunshine, and the white shutters in those rooms/windows where we did not. The HD shades are awesome in that they pretty much disappear when not in use, yet provide terrific privacy when needed - I highly recommend. They aren't necessarily cheap, but they should last and last and last.

Hunter Douglas is best in the industry but as others have posted, they’re not cheap. One of the things where you get joy for spending money. Look for a local Hunter Douglas supplier / installer that has good reviews and you can’t go wrong with its quality or longevity.

I’ve had IKEA blinds in our condo that are working well for over 5 years but if you’re willing to spend money on something that you look at or use everyday, go for HD.

I will get out of my sales pitch now...[emoji16]

I had 3M window film put on my back windows, where there's a great view and no privacy concerns at all since it's elevated. The film cuts the glare and the heat from the sun I get all morning, yet I don't have to close off my view. They also make a film that does all that and also provides privacy, I think by reflecting back. I don't know how good the privacy is, so it may not work if that's a concern.

We used triple pane Pella windows with built-in blinds. We love them. They don't room darken which we don't mind one bit, but are easy to use and never need to be cleaned.

We used a small local family owned company. Mainly for their huge selection that 'Blinds' and 'The Shade Store' did not have. We installed Hunter Douglas silhouettes (actually their subsidiary whose prices were 60% of HD's...same warranty but less color selection and more plastic...have held up beautifully these last 4 years), custom drapes with custom fabricated rods, roller shades, 2" wooden blinds in the bedrooms, and 2" plastic blinds in the bathrooms.

We used different products depending on the needs of a particular room rather than the same product throughout the house.

I plan on using them again post Covid to install roller shades in our bay kitchen window. The sun this time of year is blinding off the countertop.

Edit to add: we lived in our house for 1 year with tension rods and tab curtains because, like the OP, we have lots (33) windows and wanted to let the light in. The bedrooms were done immediately as we knew we wanted the wooden blinds.

Last edited:
Not all window shades are created equal. I would have loved to have plantation shutters on the front of our house, but they're just so pricey. We have many double windows with shades that are linked together. It's nice to pull one draw string and both shades shut in unison.

To buy from a shade company comes at a price. I'm a do it yourselfer and installing shades and drapes is just a little job for me.

Perfectly decent white shades can be bought Lowes cut to your exact width. But many shades have to be disassembled to shorten them to the window's length. Buying shades online to your exact dimensions can be a time saver, with different colors available.

Our biggest problem has always been the inside window treatments. The last bay window we had in a dining room had $1,000 in custom drapes. Mounting hardware and rods can be incredibly inexpensive.

We moved a year ago, and my wife started trolling Facebook Marketplace for drapery rods and drapes. You wouldn't believe the beautiful drapes we bought for 10 cents on the dollar. But there again, our home furnishings are very traditional.

I went with simple faux wood bali blinds via costco for most of our windows. About $100 each window, custom to fit, easy to install. I picked the largest slat size they offer, and they do a decent job and look simple and clean.

Over the years, we've had just about every window treatment you could buy. Vinyl blinds, fabric blinds, store bought drapes, custom made drapes, you name it, I've tried it!
I really like room darkening for the bedrooms.
Having allergies, it has been difficult to get things cleaned, and some can not be, only vacuumed.

I recently replaced a 20 year old fabric blind (a b**ch to clean) with simple silk like fabric drapes and tension rod in our Family room, bought at Target. So easy to put up and can be machine washed, look great!
We have similar fabric blinds in the bedrooms, I may do the same thing.
We have custom made drapes in the Living and Dining room, beautiful, but starting to look a bit dated.
I will be making a decision soon, not sure what direction I will be taking.

we chose blinds for our windows. most are real wood, the rest are vinyl. much easier to care for than curtains. we used Lowe's for the wood blinds. they come out to measure and install. another option is https://www.blinds.com

Last edited:
where we dont have plantation blinds i have a combination: sheers from oversdtock.com on clip rings in the sunroom that i can easily open and close. Hunter Douglas pulldown many celled shades to block heat in the kitchen. Beautiful cotton lined with cotton full length panels i custom hemmed so I could use the existing poles in another room. I custom made goblet pleat panels for 2 rooms, and I bought premade panels and goblet pleated the tops for another room and chopped up another panel and covered dining chair bottoms to match. SO my answer is: how handy are you. If not, I would go to Lowes for blinds and overstock.com and similar for panels if you want some color. If handy, dont be deterred from making what you like. Often you can buy and then alter and improve by adding fringe or a contrasting fabric. My recommendation is for anyone listening, hang you panels absolutely as high as you can. Up to the ceiling. Will help your ceiling look higher and your room look bigger. Also if you windows feel a bit narrow, if you have panels, also hang them wider than the window. My biggest criticism is people putting the bar only as wide as the window frame and just barely above it. You can really cheat and make your windows look twice the size if you will hang a bigger pole, longer and higher. The fatter the better. Fat rings and fat rods are a very traditional high end look if thats what youre going for. Thats my 4 cents

Last edited:
we chose blinds for our windows. most are real wood, the rest are vinyl. much easier to care for than curtains. we used Lowe's for the wood blinds. they come out to measure and install. another option is https://www.blinds.com

The "Dream Home" that I bought in 2015 was all set up just like you describe, with mostly wood blinds and some vinyl. The wood blinds are painted white and and look fairly stylish. I think these are just super so I kept everything as is.

Back
Top Bottom