Windows 11 is now live

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Updated to Windows 11 last night. No bugs, so far. In reading about Windows 11, it appears to be marketed towards the corporate users. Nothing wrong with individual users, just it has many features that would be useful for corporate groups working together in many locations.

The literature does mention that Android Apps (some? all?) will be available. Have not explored that. And they bringing widgets back.

Those who have upgraded/updated, what do you see?

Maybe if I ever get a computer that works with Windows 11, I'll give it a try. Meanwhile, Windows 10 will be supported for several more years and who knows if that end date will eventually be extended. I'm reminded of Microsoft's tradition of hit/miss with its OS's: Win98 (hit), WinMe (miss), WinXP (hit), WinVista (miss), Win7 (hit), Win8 (miss), Win10 (hit), Win11 (??)

My computer notified me on Tuesday that it was ready to upgrade to Windows 11, so I let it do it's thing. I like the minor user interface differences. Nothing drastic. I do prefer the Start Menu and pinned apps in the lower middle of the screen. I have had zero problems with the upgrade so far. And it’s free.

Last edited:
Those who have upgraded/updated, what do you see?

I updated on Wednesday. To me it doesn't seem much different from Windows 10, except they moved things around and tried to make them prettier. OK, the Android apps and widgets, but personally I'm not wildly enthused about apps and widgets. I'm a little disappointed. But obviously we haven't had enough time to thoroughly check it out.

After the download and installation, it took almost no time at all to find everything and satisfactorily configure it to more or less the way it was before.

WIN10 update vs WIN 11

I went to shut off my computer a couple of days ago and got a message saying it was going to do a WIN10 update that might take a while and might involve several off/on cycles.

After 2 hours of this^ and only reaching 26% completion, I turned off my laptop. It took WIN10 a few minutes to undo the updates.

I've used it on WIN10 without any issues since then.

And now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and download WIN11?

Are there any advantages to staying with WIN10 and suffering through such a lengthy update? I'm guessing not having to live thru the debugging of newly-launched WIN11 is one. Anything else?

omni

I went to shut off my computer a couple of days ago and got a message saying it was going to do a WIN10 update that might take a while and might involve several off/on cycles.

After 2 hours of this^ and only reaching 26% completion, I turned off my laptop. It took WIN10 a few minutes to undo the updates.

I've used it on WIN10 without any issues since then.

And now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and download WIN11?

Are there any advantages to staying with WIN10 and suffering through such a lengthy update? I'm guessing not having to live thru the debugging of newly-launched WIN11 is one. Anything else?

omni
After waiting 2 hours for the Windows 11 update to complete, I went to bed. Done in the morning.

Their test program said neither of my computers can handle 11.
No hurry, 10 will be around a few more years.

Their test program said neither of my computers can handle 11.
No hurry, 10 will be around a few more years.

Same here. Not sure if there are workarounds but I’m fine leaving it as Win10 until I have to update. At that point, I’ll likely just get a new computer. I’ve also been waiting for the new 27+ inch Mac, so I’ll likely have a new computer in a year or so.

ETA:
Research and running the compatibility indicates my processer is not supported - so not something I can rectify with software setting adjustments. Oh well, the computer is 9 years old. Still a great machine for my needs but as mentioned above, probably time for an update in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
My main computer is 8 or 9 years old, but still has better specs for RAM and drives and such than a lot of brand new stuff. How many new machines will support my 3 monitors? I believe in trying to future proof when you buy a computer.

Is there a way to go out and download the Win11 update or do you have to wait until Microsoft says they are ready to give it to you? Ran the Windows HealthCheck program and verified my laptop is Win11 compatible but haven't seen any option to download it.

If you use a lot of taskbar buttons for things like having multiple spreadsheet or browser tabs open to switch between them on the taskbar quickly do not upgrade to 11 unless you are comfortable either installing a few third party software packages or can live with it until MS adds the never combine function to back to the taskbar... for me now it's not a huge deal breaker but I did a 3rd party solution but I know when I still worked I would have not been able to function especially with thing like terminal sessions when remote accessing (I was a Sys Admin and could have 10-20 different sessions going) MS has known about the issue since June and have yet to fix it so probably won't anytime soon as they have other more pressing bugs to deal with.

If you use a lot of taskbar buttons for things like having multiple spreadsheet or browser tabs open to switch between them on the taskbar quickly do not upgrade to 11 unless you are comfortable either installing a few third party software packages or can live with it until MS adds the never combine function to back to the taskbar... for me now it's not a huge deal breaker but I did a 3rd party solution but I know when I still worked I would have not been able to function especially with thing like terminal sessions when remote accessing (I was a Sys Admin and could have 10-20 different sessions going) MS has known about the issue since June and have yet to fix it so probably won't anytime soon as they have other more pressing bugs to deal with.
Uh-oh, Vista 2.0? :confused:

I will pass on 11 for now :facepalm:
Windows 10 for sure will be supported well into 2025 .

My processor doesn't qualify but my PC is still fine by me. By the time Win10 looses support I will be ready for a replacement.

My 10 year old extra desktop is not windows 11 ready but I was able to update it with a workaround. Unfortunately, for me, it performed slower so rather than play with it I simply referred back to windows 10 quit no other issues.

I'm in the comfort zone where it works each day as is...the thought of finding old software becoming broken is not desirable at all.

If Santa forced a new desktop with 11 on it, I wouldn't give it back, though.

OP here. I should have stated that I am NOT receiving a promotional fee from MS. I have been cursing MS operating systems since I found out that I couldn't restore my DOS 2.0 backed up files because I had now upgraded to DOS 3.0.

My comments were more along the lines of there not being too many problems, for once.

I remember about 10 years ago MS introduced ribbons that had way too many options for my brain to absorb. Ribbons were the thing of the future. I needed to quit complaining and get on board. Now Windows 11 Explorer has a "dramatically simplified toolbar. Gone is the complex, compartmentalized ribbon interface." Now it is context sensitive icons.

So far, no major issues. In summary, not worth buying a new PC to get it, but the upgrade process was easy and free for my year old HP i5 laptop. YMMV

Has anyone with Windows 11 noticed increase in resources required, like processor or RAM?
I am going to pass on 11 until MS quits supporting 10.

No rush for me.

Mentally, I'm still on Win XP. :)

Last edited:
... I am going to pass on 11 until MS quits supporting 10.
Wise. From a career in tech I have learned that it is the guys who are out front who have the arrows in their chests. I love the early adopters, though. They debug new software for me and they eat the first year of car depreciation before I buy.

And, actually, "support" is IMO not that important. Sure its nice to get a few years of bug fixes, but once the herd has moved on it is much higher payoff for the bad guys to follow the herd. Why attack a small population of retail users when the big money is elsewhere?

I upgraded the laptop this morning. Took maybe an hour and 15 minutes. Can't say for sure since I started it at 10:30 and then made a trip to Costco. It was waiting for me to give the go ahead on a reboot when I got back. So it was pretty quick. Seems fine so far but I haven't really had a chance to explore the changes.

I upgraded the laptop this morning. Took maybe an hour and 15 minutes. Can't say for sure since I started it at 10:30 and then made a trip to Costco. It was waiting for me to give the go ahead on a reboot when I got back. So it was pretty quick. Seems fine so far but I haven't really had a chance to explore the changes.
Thank you for your service.

Thank you for your service.

Early adopters of new versions of Windows do kind of remind me of the first soldiers storming the beaches of Normandy... I plan to to hit the beach after the enemies are vanquished and all the land mines removed. Maybe next June.

Back
Top Bottom