Windows 11 reveal!

You may just need to enable the TPM equivalent in your BIOS like I did. Here's a good article on the Windows 11 TPM requirement: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/heres-what-youll-need-to-upgrade-to-windows-11/

That is a great article. TY. Not sure mine will do it though is a HP and it has tons of cores, ram, and such. I will open it up soon and look for the module plug in port and then mess with the bios if necessary The article had a lot of linux info in it too. The checking software specifically flagged the amd cpu as not current enough.

Like others I kept the windows for my antivirus program and the tax software.

I'd like a new desktop but unless something nice is available for $600 or so that knocks the socks off my current one, I may just move this last machine to linux.

For the Win 10 diehards, the Win 10 LTSC 2019 version has support until 1/9/2029.

My priority changed from $ to time in 2020.
Win 10 box is 5 years old, and will get moved over to replace my Win XP box.
Dell Win 11 is in my sights, maybe by the end of this year.

With more than four years of support left for Windows 10, I don't see any need to jump to Windows 11 any time soon - if ever. I will avoid replacing my existing Win 10 laptop by swapping the OS with Linux if I have to. I may consider a basic desktop that comes with Win 11 just for tax software but might just consider the internet option for doing my taxes instead. Then again, if I can get a deal on a new MB/CPU combo sometime in the next four years...

With more than four years of support left for Windows 10, I don't see any need to jump to Windows 11 any time soon...

^ This. At my age, four years could be a lifetime. :cool:

My 2017 desktop will be ready for retirement by then (if not sooner) and I plan to replace it with the laptop I purchased on Prime Day. Unlike the desktop, it is Win 11 compatible and I'll convert it at some point.

In case everyone hasn't seen it yet - Microsoft temporarily pulled the Windows 11 health check app. They are supposedly working on making it more informative when a PC fails the check and at least will be looking at including older processors as compatible.

In case you all hadn't read between the lines, I am just DYING to get Windows 11. My kind of fun. So, I read that "Windows Insiders" (users who are willing to be Microsoft's unpaid guinea pigs) just got Windows 11!

Immediately I thought, hey, maybe I could become a Windows Insider and get Windows 11 now, and not have to wait!

Unfortunately, Windows tells me:

Windows10 said:
"To manage the Windows Insider Program settings for your device and allow it to stay in the Windows Insider Program, you'll need to turn on optional diagnostic data."
[...]
"Optional diagnostic data: Send info about websites you browse and how you use apps and features, plus additional info about device health, device activity, and enhanced error reporting. "

This seems like a lot of information to disclose, even if I trusted Microsoft and I'm not sure I do. Maybe I'll wait. The latest estimates of when the public will get Windows 11, that I have seen, range from October 20th to sometime in 2022. :(

OK, nobody ever died from delayed gratification. I suppose. :mad:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 82
In case you all hadn't read between the lines, I am just DYING to get Windows 11. My kind of fun. So, I read that "Windows Insiders" (users who are willing to be Microsoft's unpaid guinea pigs) just got Windows 11!

Immediately I thought, hey, maybe I could become a Windows Insider and get Windows 11 now, and not have to wait!

This seems like a lot of information to disclose, even if I trusted Microsoft and I'm not sure I do. Maybe I'll wait. The latest estimates of when the public will get Windows 11, that I have seen, range from October 20th to sometime in 2022. :(

In the meantime, if you really like to play with different "flavors" of an operating system, Linux offers a plethora of distributions which although all based on the Linux Kernel (the "guts" just like windows has a similar concept). These distributions all have many different interpretations of what an operating system should look like. Want an apple like OS? Elementary Os, Deepin Linux etc might tickle your fancy. Windows like? Zorin Os, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, and many more. If you still have one of your old laptops handy just install one, or several of those and play away. Cheap fun at no cost during these hot summer days.

In the meantime, if you really like to play with different "flavors" of an operating system, Linux offers a plethora of distributions which although all based on the Linux Kernel (the "guts" just like windows has a similar concept). These distributions all have many different interpretations of what an operating system should look like. Want an apple like OS? Elementary Os, Deepin Linux etc might tickle your fancy. Windows like? Zorin Os, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, and many more. If you still have one of your old laptops handy just install one, or several of those and play away. Cheap fun at no cost during these hot summer days.

That could be fun. :) Right now Frank has all my old laptops. He does sound and lights for musicians at several bars, and he uses them in his work. But still, that's something to think about. Maybe next time I get a new laptop (every couple of years) I'll keep it and try Linux. I have never tried it, although I used to love Unix on my DEC workstation at work, back in the 1990's.

Looks like more solutions looking for problems. Every Windows upgrade results in a slower system and more resources needed like CPU speed and memory.
I liked Windows 95, XP, and 7. Running 10 now on a new HP laptop.

I will avoid replacing my existing Win 10 laptop by swapping the OS with Linux if I have to.

Same here. Unless MS relaxes their hardware requirements for Win 11, I'll probably install Linux Mint on my current laptop (six years old) once they drop support for Win 10... or maybe sooner, honestly. I've been wanting to get more into the Linux world for a while now, so this might just be the motivation I've been needing.

Same here. Unless MS relaxes their hardware requirements for Win 11, I'll probably install Linux Mint on my current laptop (six years old) once they drop support for Win 10... or maybe sooner, honestly. I've been wanting to get more into the Linux world for a while now, so this might just be the motivation I've been needing.

Just make sure you try a live version of your preferred distro running off a thumb drive first. Linux is particularly finicky on older laptops because they frequently have uncommon hardware/firmware for things like WiFi, video, trackpads and keyboards.

The times I've installed Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Mint on older laptops have not worked well due to missing drivers. I have at least two USB WiFi adapters lying around that I needed to get Linux to work on older laptops (it wouldn't recognize the built in WiFi on the laptops).

Just make sure you try a live version of your preferred distro running off a thumb drive first. Linux is particularly finicky on older laptops because they frequently have uncommon hardware/firmware for things like WiFi, video, trackpads and keyboards.

The times I've installed Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Mint on older laptops have not worked well due to missing drivers. I have at least two USB WiFi adapters lying around that I needed to get Linux to work on older laptops (it wouldn't recognize the built in WiFi on the laptops).
Very interesting the difference in experiences, Mine has been just the opposite. All versions of linux I've tried (Linux Mint, MX-linux, Manjaro, Ubuntu) have worked perfectly starting with my ancient PC, an HP media player with a Pentium processor, to an HP DV7 with an old AMD processor, An HP 8300, a Dell Optiplex 9020, a couple of Asus laptops, a couple of Dell laptops (6440, M4600). Just curious to know which laptops didn't work for you with Linux so I can scratch them off my replacement list. As I usually look for older replacement equipment when something breaks - which actually happens infrequently but its not worth it fixing these old machines if something actually goes belly up.

Why would you think you could be a user without giving them the info they want? They want to see where there are errors occurring.... how do they know if they do not get all the info from all their users?

It is pure bunk, plenty of older gen processors are plenty powerful.

Agreed, my server has an old i5-3570k running at 3.8Ghz and it's plenty fast enough for Windows whatever. Played all kinds of games on it up until a couple of years ago with no issues.

CPU spec is not the reason why Win11 won't work. Won't matter much to me for another 4+ years, but the Win11 reveal was a big snooze as far as I could see. No compelling new features.

Last edited:
For some time, I have been contemplating a replacement for my 2012 vintage HP all-in-one desktop. The graphics heavy nature of some of my sites of interest (like the NYT) is bogging it down. It came with Windows 7, and I upgraded to Windows 10, but it will not support Windows 11. However, I will wait until I can buy one preloaded with Windows 11. Maybe on Cyber Monday.

For some time, I have been contemplating a replacement for my 2012 vintage HP all-in-one desktop. The graphics heavy nature of some of my sites of interest (like the NYT) is bogging it down. It came with Windows 7, and I upgraded to Windows 10, but it will not support Windows 11. However, I will wait until I can buy one preloaded with Windows 11. Maybe on Cyber Monday.

How exciting! You are going to have such fun with your new Windows 11 computer. :D Yes, I would think you might get a good deal on one, on Cyber Monday.

My favorite computer definitions: Software - play with it long enough and it eventually works; Hardware - play with it long enough and it eventually breaks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom