Winterphiles not phobes?

I suppose that if all else were equal, I would prefer a Hawaiian climate to any other. However, all else is not equal, and other factors are more important than climate to me in selecting a location to live.

New Orleans has some oppressively hot and humid summers, but hey, that is what A/C is for. I plan to ER in Missouri, which has both hot summers and cold winters. To cope with the winters I will have a heated house, heated car, and warm clothing, so I don't think the cold weather will bother me. Right now, I am enjoying the cool weather after a long, hot summer. When it is no longer a novelty, it may not be as enjoyable but I will just stay snug and warm, and welcome the spring.

So glad someone brought that up: where it is hot and humid, you stay in the house for months; where it is snowy and cold, you stay in the house for months.
California and Hawaii seem to be the only two places with decent weather, but undecent taxes/prices...so guess it is hot and humid or cold and snowy for me.

So glad someone brought that up: where it is hot and humid, you stay in the house for months; where it is snowy and cold, you stay in the house for months.
California and Hawaii seem to be the only two places with decent weather, but undecent taxes/prices...so guess it is hot and humid or cold and snowy for me.

I agree, although I am a little leery about the REALLY cold places like Montana or North Dakota since I have never lived in weather that severe. I suppose there are places in the world where snow piles up so high that you can't even open the door or look outside. That might be pretty spooky so I would rather live someplace a little more moderate.

I am pretty sure I can handle Missouri, though, at least after the first year or two of adjusting to the climate.

I just got back from the gym, where I got plenty of healthy exercise in a comfortable temperature and humidity without going outdoors. When I retire to Missouri I plan to join a gym, but to also have a home gym for days when it is too icy to drive outside. I will hire someone to shovel snow, just as I now hire someone to cut the grass. That kind of exercise gets old, fast! :2funny:

Last edited:
It's the Paradise Tax that's paid for Asian cuisine and great surfing...

It's the Paradise Tax that's paid for Asian cuisine and great surfing...

Not to mention the breathtaking beauty all around, in Hawaii. Unfortunately my standard of living would have to be abysmally low if I moved back to the Islands and lived within my means. :(

No surfing for me if I am Missouri-bound. Guess I just have a different concept for my own little bit of paradise... :)

I recall a picture of my mother sitting on a snowbank next to the top two feet of a utility pole (Upstate NY).

OK, now that is definitely TOO much snow for me! :2funny:

But, a few inches or even a foot or so of snow might be do-able once I get used to it. It will be an adventure, for the first few years, at least! :D

I remember the year Kennedy got inaugrated .We were off school for a week because of the snow .We had piles of snow so high it was like walking thru tunnels .The last year I lived in New Jersey we had an ice storm and it took me six hours to get to work which was a half hour drive usually .I love to visit the snow get my fill and then leave .

My experience somewhat parallels Trek's.

I don't mind the cold. Working in northern Alberta at -40 from time to time is a challenge. Every day is a challenge. Kinda fun, as long as nothing goes wrong.

The moderate climate of the Pacific Northwest is one of the great attractions of the area to me, BUT I REALLY DON'T LIKE RAIN ANYMORE! It is cold rain in the PNW. I would just as soon have my precipitation solid.
Have spent my whole existence in northern Alberta, and I remember thinking of winter weather the same way you do. That ended at around age 32. It was at about that age when I unfortunately shifted my outlook on winter and developed a low grade contempt for snow. There was just no more novelty left in it. Yes, I still snowmobile, ice skate, ski, and toboggan, and even enjoy building roaring fires in my wood burning stove, but nowadays I never actually look forward to snow and cold although I would think that extreme heat might be worse. After all, you can always put on one more layer of clothes, but you can't always take one more off.

.......but nowadays I never actually look forward to snow and cold although I would think that extreme heat might be worse. After all, you can always put on one more layer of clothes, but you can't always take one more off.

I hear ya! I don't look forward to cold and snow, but I can deal with it. Like you say throw on 1 or 2 more layers of clothing....or just put on my Carhartt Arctic-Wear over my gym shorts and t-shirt. Unless it's sub-zero, I usually just wear a pullover sweatshirt (non-insulated) and a nylon windbreaker. And if I'm going to be outside for more than about 45-60 minute, I'll even break down and wear long pants instead of my customary shorts. I don't get cold easily!

But dressing for HOT weather........I hate it!!!! I can only strip off so many layers before my neighbors complain! :D

I can deal with the cold much easier than heat any day! Heck, I sleep with the bedroom window open all winter, unless the snow is actually blowing in.

welllll - since I can still remember sitting under the fish camp at Lake Ponchartrain 90 degrees/90 percent humidity/no wind watching mosquitos and gnats doing the backstroke in the sweat on my arm - the four season greater Kansas City climate charm has not worn off yet. It snowed/iced the hill briefly after buying a house post Katrina - so I bought chains(first time in over thirty years) from Auto Zone. Have yet to use them.

Now - about Carhart - they worth looking into - ad's on tv all the time. My sister's care package hoodies/sweats over Jimmy Buffett Aloha shirts are looking less stylish all the time. I've gone as far as bib overalls unlined in warmer weather. But?

heh heh heh - too long gone from my first 26 yrs in the PacNW - rain is no longer 'Seattle Sunshine.'

Problem with Carhartt stuff is that they are so dang stiff until broken in.

Just wash 'em a couple of times, and throw 'em in the drier with an old pair of sneakers. The washing & drying will take out some of the stiffness, and the sneakers will kick a little more of it out.

For my first 15-18 years at my former employer, I worked outside all winter along a river with NO windbreaks. I've worn Carhartts, Walls, and a couple of 'knock offs'. Carhartts are BY FAR the BEST! And if you expect to spend a good deal of time out in the really cold weather, go with the Carhartt Arctics...they have a lighter weight quilted lining available, but the arctic quilted lining is MUCH warmer.

They also have flannel lined pants & shirts, denim & canvas pants & work shorts, henleys, sweatshirts, footwear....dang near everything...even thermal underwear!

They're not cheap....but they're good!

One of the benefits provided by my employer before I ER'd was a very nice annual 'clothing allowance'. When I started 30+ years ago it was $300/year. When I left it had been $450/year for quite a few years. They kept me dressed and warm for just over 30 years for just over $10K. I have enough clothes to last me for YEARS! We learned early on about stockpiling!

They put $450 in my clothing allowance 'bank' back on January 1st. By February it was all spent. But this time instead of "work wear".....they bought me "retirement wear". Shorts, t-shirts, polos, Hawaiian floweredy shirts, a nice pair of leather sandals, and several dozen pairs of socks. The ticket they received back from the vendor correctly stated my purchase..... "pants..shirts...shoes...socks".

Back
Top Bottom