Wireless headphones for sport

Great thread. I'm looking for wireless headphones for when I'm cutting grass or doing woodworking. I use the Apple wired headphones for walks, nothing while hiking, and just my phone with no headphones while running. I'd like to drown out loud woodworking/ lawnmower noise as much as possible.

Are we talking about the same product?

Beats X wireless just came out in February.

I've been using Hippox ear buds for about a year and love them. Not too expensive, good sound, has a mic to answer phone calls.
No complaints.

Great thread. I'm looking for wireless headphones for when I'm cutting grass or doing woodworking. I use the Apple wired headphones for walks, nothing while hiking, and just my phone with no headphones while running. I'd like to drown out loud woodworking/ lawnmower noise as much as possible.

My experience is that headphones/buds aren't going to do the job when operating equipment. I combine buds (at low volume) with a pair of protective earmuffs when operating my 50 year old Ford tractor or other outdoor equipment....

My experience is that headphones/buds aren't going to do the job when operating equipment. I combine buds (at low volume) with a pair of protective earmuffs when operating my 50 year old Ford tractor or other outdoor equipment....

That's how I mow the lawn. Podcasts help pass the time.

Right. I bought them when they first came out.

They replaced my old LG Bluetooth headset. The LGs were good, but never synced audio with video when I was watching video on the phone or iPad (many old BT headsets have this problem). The Apple stuff syncs perfectly and its way easier to change from listening on the Mac or iPhone to the iPad.

That's the headphones I'm talking about. I bought them shortly after they were released.

That's the headphones I'm talking about. I bought them shortly after they were released.

OK, just checked for them on Amazon and they don't have stock so I thought maybe the supplies were scarce.

No doubt Apple has them in stock.

OK, just checked for them on Amazon and they don't have stock so I thought maybe the supplies were scarce.

No doubt Apple has them in stock.

I bought mine at an Apple store. A good resource to find if an Apple store has them in stock is iStockNow Free Stock Tracking and Notifications.

This is useful site to track inventory for new Apple products. If they have stock for something I want, I order it online at the Apple website with local pick-up. Worked well for me over the holidays.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Totally confused now (which is normal for me for anything vaguely techie :LOL:) so may give Powerbeats one more go ... or not.

Well I picked up the Beats X. Even if it's not great for exercise, the battery life will be great for trips and I can use the cheap ones for exercise and as a second pair backup.

OK, first thing I notice is it's a long cable in between, flat and think around the buds. But in addition to the stalk with the controls (play/pause, volume up/down), it has two big stalks on both sides, which is probably where they have the batteries.

These battery stalks are rigid and about 2-inches long, so it's not easy to coil these up when you're not using them. The cables between the battery stalks is thicker too and not as flexible as the cable between the battery stalks and the earbuds.

So these stalks and the cable hang down the front, almost reaching the sternum. And I just took a walk with them and the sound of the cable rubbing against my shirt is noticeable, though I guess I could turn the volume up and fit the earbuds into my ears better.

But when pairing, it's brilliant, you just put it next to the device and a button appears that you can tap to pair.

With the Marsee wireless buds, I have to open the Bluetooth panel in Settings app in order to connect. And when they can be paired to up to two devices, if both are in range, the Marsee buds go back and forth between them as to which ones to connect.

With these I think I will be able to pair exactly to the device I want, say podcasts on my iPhone or movies on my iPad, during a long flight.

So just for the pairing ability and managing them between more than one device, I'm inclined to try to make these Beat X buds work (have 14 days to return) even putting up with how much more bulky it is than the Marsee ones. I prefer the in-ears so the Apple Pods are out and I don't like white so I picked dark blue for the Beats X buds (they have white, black and gray too).

One other thing is that they come with this oval rubber pouch instead of a zip up case. Kind of disappointing, don't like the feel of the rubber and seems like it would be a lint magnet. So ordered a rectangular zip up case from Amazon for $6.

Last edited:
The LGs were good, but never synced audio with video when I was watching video on the phone or iPad (many old BT headsets have this problem).

Older Bluetooth tech has a problem with latency. That doesn't matter when you are listening to audio only but it does when you are watching a video or playing a game. The newer 4.0 Bluetooth does a lot to correct this. You can also look for aptX support. For these to help both ends of the connection - the device and the headphones - need to suport them.

I use these for cycling and hiking.

https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium?variant=7698984833

I don't like things in/over my ears that don't let me hear - these use some bone conduction which works pretty well. I listen mostly to podcasts so audio quality isn't my top priority.

I bought these and have been using them at the gym for a bit over a week now. I'm VERY pleased. Good sound quality (for what I need) and good battery life. expensive, but well worth it so far

Back
Top Bottom