World Economy - Anyone worried?

The bad news is that no one can predict the future. Or at least if there is anyone who can predict the future they are using their skill to make themselves rich; they are not giving this information away for free on the internet.

Perhaps they are doing both.

I understand. Guess the reason i went for this is because I didnt wanted to keep checking my portfolio for a while (atleast thats how I saw it as passive) but i understand that I need to see how my fund performs.
I wasn't being critical of your decision, just pointing out the reason that I don't like blended funds of any kind. There's lots of enthusiasm here for them however.

Whats your take on fund's mix of equities/debt in intl/us/cad market?
As I said, we go with "everything" via VTWSX and VT, so our equity mix is whatever the world market cap mix is. Re equity/debt we were virtually 100% equities until very close to retirement. Others are more conservative. Lots of threads here on this.

Perhaps they are doing both.
Perhaps, but a sure way to kill a strategy is to have a lot of people jump in. So it would probably be counterproductive for this theoretical person with an accurate crystal ball to make his predictions public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanguard Canada shows a vastly different array of expenses than Fidelity CA.
Vanguard CA is here:
https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/indv/en/product.html

It seems that Fidelity only has funds which are above 2% expense ratio. That is a WOW! I must be wrong about that.

If I were in Canada, I'd divide equities 40% Canada, 30% U.S, 30% rest of world. That's my first guess, and I'm sticking to it.

Redistribution of wealth right before your eyes.............
Like a train wreck......... Cant help but watch...........
Interest rates? LOL LOL

Whats your take on below fund, mainly on its portfolio distribution:

Management

Relatively New fund and doesnt have a whole lot of historical performance.
MER will be discounted for me.

If you have to pay a load, shop elsewhere. In this day and age, no one should be paying loads.

If large growth does well, the high management fee will keep this fund from doing as well as cheaper large growth funds. If you get a fee discount that is good, but most of those are not contractually obligated. It is more like a charitable act of the manager, which can be revoked at any time. And, if the discounted fee is not in the range of 0.5% or less, shop elsewhere.

If large growth does not do well, this fund's performance will be abysmal. That is the problem with picking sectors and the reason many of us do not do it.

Finally, BTW, the stars have been proven to not be predictive. Even Morningstar admits this. So ignore them.

(This is all from an American perspective. Hopefully the Canadian market also offers better and cheaper funds, a luxury that we definitely have here.)

If you have to pay a load, shop elsewhere. In this day and age, no one should be paying loads.

If large growth does well, the high management fee will keep this fund from doing as well as cheaper large growth funds. If you get a fee discount that is good, but most of those are not contractually obligated. It is more like a charitable act of the manager, which can be revoked at any time. And, if the discounted fee is not in the range of 0.5% or less, shop elsewhere.

If large growth does not do well, this fund's performance will be abysmal. That is the problem with picking sectors and the reason many of us do not do it.

Finally, BTW, the stars have been proven to not be predictive. Even Morningstar admits this. So ignore them.

(This is all from an American perspective. Hopefully the Canadian market also offers better and cheaper funds, a luxury that we definitely have here.)

Thanks. Yeah, i never did fund investing before, so kind of not sure how exactly i need to put my investment. I keep reading but thats just reading.

Kind of going half and half between Canada and US. Going nuts reading and going through each of fidelity funds portfolio style/composition/historical performance.

Just gonna take one, and leave it be for a reasonal time frame.

Back
Top Bottom