Would you buy this home in our situation?

Wow. That is stunning. It does look like a lot of w*rk but hopefully very enjoyable.

Congratulations!

OP - any chance you could share exactly how you look for/find acreage/properties at an action? We are looking to acquire some acreage (with or without a house) and typically only look at land on realtor.com

Appreciate all the well wishes. Can't wait to get started with the work as odd as that may sound.

That is great! Looks like a nice setting and I wish you much happiness and enjoyment.

Off subject but I'm hoping to add some more irrigated bottom ground to my place. If the Lord is willing it may happen down the road.

Street, I appreciate all your comments on land. It sounds like you and me have similar passion on good ground and I assume you get just as excited as I do when you see/find a nice piece. I'd love to hear a little bit more about your land if you want to share. If there's something that gets me going besides finding land myself, it's talking about it with others who have similar interests.

OP - any chance you could share exactly how you look for/find acreage/properties at an auction? We are looking to acquire some acreage (with or without a house) and typically only look at land on realtor.com

Sure.

For auctions, check out -

https://www.auctionzip.com/

For land, I always check out -

https://www.landwatch.com/

I would highly recommend checking out soil maps for anything you're looking at.

https://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/

I'd be happy to share any additional advice you may want on land either here or via pm.

Not sure the wisdom here but just closed on another place. This one in nw PA. 106 acres with decent secluded cabin. Timber property with excellent quality timber. Timber prices for hardwoods have taken a real beating these past 15 years or so and prices around here are at least 50% down in that time. Still, hardwoods grow around 4% a year and if prices have a decent correction should have enough to pay for the place. Free unlimited natural gas and low taxes. Not sure how we're going to retire with me having just spent almost 40% of our retirement money between this place and the Ohio property but at least we'll have fun playing around in the woods.

Attachments

• Screenshot (195).png
    Screenshot (195).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot (191).jpg
    Screenshot (191).jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot (192).png
    Screenshot (192).png
    2 MB · Views: 59
It's beautiful. Congratulations!

Not sure the wisdom here but just closed on another place. This one in nw PA. 106 acres with decent secluded cabin. Timber property with excellent quality timber. Timber prices for hardwoods have taken a real beating these past 15 years or so and prices around here are at least 50% down in that time. Still, hardwoods grow around 4% a year and if prices have a decent correction should have enough to pay for the place. Free unlimited natural gas and low taxes. Not sure how we're going to retire with me having just spent almost 40% of our retirement money between this place and the Ohio property but at least we'll have fun playing around in the woods.

Heh, heh, that last picture - was that the man cave?:cool:

But seriously, do you have access to your own NatGas? That would be cool. For that matter, with the proper stove(s) you could heat with wood scraps on your property. I did that back in the day when we lived on a wooded area. Just the fallen ash trees kept us in wood (as much as I was able to split - that is.)

Nice looking place. I hope you enjoy.

..... Free unlimited natural gas and low taxes. Not sure how we're going to retire with me having just spent almost 40% of our retirement money between this place and the Ohio property but at least we'll have fun playing around in the woods.

How do you have Free natural gas ?

These properties seem a distance apart, which will over time turn into a hassle.

Very nice!!! If you bought it right it you won't have any trouble getting your money back.

These properties seem a distance apart, which will over time turn into a hassle.

IIRC, it's often an exploratory well drilled by a gas company that didn't result in enough production for commercial exploitation.

One of the "Homestead Rescue" shows had a homestead with one.

Over the years the pressure had declined to the point it would no longer run the onsite generator directly from the well.

So the cast added an old tank to build sufficient pressure & at the end of the show had natural gas running: the generator, gas heaters for the small cabin & greenhouse, and gas lights for the path from the cabin to the outhouse...the latter requested by the lady of the house. :)

Free natural gas is also possible as a farm tap. When a pipeline is negotiating to place it on someone's property it (used to) is possible to have the company install a farm tap for personal use. Don't think these are available anymore but could be grandfathered.

Free Nat Gas for life would be a very plum benefit. No more worrying about wearing two sweaters in the winter. I'd investigate running my car(s) on Nat Gas.

Sweet!

I logged and sawmilled in north central PA for 4 years, ran a yard in KC for 4 years, and sawmilled there another 2 years. I'm sure my eyes are old and the photos not showing the best timber, but I don't see anything in those photos that is better than saw logs. I wouldn't be excited about the harvest unless you found a bunch of veneer away from any house or wherever kids played.

Normally, you can have a state forest person who can estimate your harvest.

Last edited:

Just to add what others have said, but many landowners with well drilled on their land negotiated a gas line to their home as part of giving a rightway and for drilling on their land. Not an uncommon thing but no I understand that is off limits now because of liability issues.

Back
Top Bottom