WW2 uniforms

powersmo

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi all, I have a question that hopefully someone can help me out with. My dad was a WW2 Navy Veteren and Pearl Harbor survivor. He died many years ago and kept several uniforms from when the war was over. Now that my mom no longer wants to keep them, I don't know where to find out about how much they might be worth. They are in pretty good shape considering their age and storage in a dresser drawer. There is a small local museum that has expressed an interest in having them to put on display but the curator has asked me what I would take for them. I have no idea about that. Any good ideas? Thanks!

Have you contacted the WWII museum in New Orleans? My dad was also a Pearl Harbor Survivor and I had some contact with them about donating items. I know that the Museum generally does not take uniforms since they have had more donated than they will ever need, unless there is a special significance (ie person or in a famous photo). The value may not be easy to find. The uniforms are mostly sentimental for the family (yes one of my brothers is keeping the dress uniform). I would just donate it and not worry about payment.

When we were in Normandy for the 75th D-Day anniversary, there were hundreds of USA and European folks who reenact wearing WWII clothes, drive Jeep’s, trucks tanks, etc. If you could find someone who participates in that, they could probably tell you or guide you to someone who would answer your question.

Check eBay and see if something similar has sold recently. I bought a some WW2 things there a few years ago. If you have pictures and documents of the serviceman it makes it more interesting to collectors.

I’d think something tied to Pearl Harbor, an individual sailor, and a particular ship would be of interest.

These are just my thoughts on the subject: I would try to find a museum or other organization who would care for and display these historic items. The "value" (to me) would be "priceless" and therefore not something to sell.

My dad was disabled and unable to serve in the WWII, but I still keep his credentials as a guard in a defense factory. I'm sure they have no value except to me.

DW has her dad's discharge papers, extensive photograph collection, IDs and other reminders of his service in WWII (Pacific theater - driving Amtrak's during 2 or 3 island-hoping invasions.) Her prized possession is a small notebook in which he detailed his return from the Pacific when the war ended. She would give all these items to the "right" museum but wouldn't sell any of it. I make no judgements for anyone else. I just have strong attachment to anything to do with our respective parents' histories. Therefore, YMMV.:greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom