WWYD

I'm guessing you haven't been to some of the outer islands lately. Ali'i Dr. in Kailua-Kona is a homeless and drug dealing area now. It use to be that I'd have no issues in letting my older kids walk this area at night after dinner. Those days are long gone unless you wish to be hit up for drugs every block.

As for Maui, it now has its own share of homeless camps everywhere just like here in the Bay Area. Every time I go back to Hawaii it's that much closer to being like the Bay Area.
So your original point about "Hawaii" is now limited to "some of the outer islands".

With all this danger and ill influences I am very surprised you still bother to travel there.

I'd make a brief trip to the bank, deposit the $5K in my checking account, and sit on it. Frankly there's no place that I want to go to, enough to spend $5K on it.

Why should I travel when I'm already here?

(Actually, a real quote from a wealthy Boston doyenne back in the late 1800s)

There are so many options it is hard to choose.

In reality, we would visit family.

For the game, maybe drive to Vermont or the Poconos for a week's stay on a lake, in a scenic area, with some modest hiking available.

A trip to Yellowstone for DH.

I also like the idea of a trip to London for a week for sightseeing historical locations.

We have never been on a cruise - so there is that as well.

In many instances it is far less expensive and more enjoyable for us to travel internationally.

I realize your desire to fly FC.

As an example though, last week we booked a direct Montreal-Casablanca, Morocco flight for Sept/Oct.

The cost? $837CAD ($615USD) return on Air Canada.

At the same time we were considering a Lisbon flight with a stopover in the Azores for even less.

We were also looking at direct o/w flights from Calgary-London for $450CAD and a o/w return from Paris (or London) for the same price. Then picking up a LCA flight from either hub to various points in Morocco.

No doubt there is similar pricing from US hubs depending on where you reside.

The trick is you do have to put the time into shopping the web for the right offers, opportunities.

Travel options are endless. We are going for a month. But you can really make a $5K US budget stretch to some very attractive 7-10 (or more) day trips to international destinations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom