Yes, Another SS question. This Time Regarding Maximum Family Benefit

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I want to make sure I get this right. I did look at the SS Website and am not sure I understand it fully. I am sure you all are not at all surprised :).

Scenario: Husband and Wife no dependents.

• Hubby is entitled to $3000 a month at 65
  • Wifey is entitled to $1500 at 62 (Smart money says wifey should claim at 62)
  • Wifey's Maximum family benefit according to the SS Calculator is $2,800.

1. Does that mean that even though Hubby is entitles to $3,000 their maximum benefit between them would be $,2800.

Yes, I know this does not make sense and I really do not think that is true. but it could be an easy misinterpretation.

2. OR, as I think what it means is; If Wifey dies, the maximum her "Dependent?" family can get is $2,800.

I think it means 2 above.

I'm not an SS expert by any means, but I'm 99% sure that the "maximum family benefit" language refers to situations where one or both parents and their minor dependent children are collecting SS as well.

The most common scenario where this happens is if a husband works for 15 years and then dies of a heart attack and leaves a wife and several children. The children, if under a certain age, are entitled to SS survivor benefits until they turn 16 or 18 or something. The wife would also get SS survivor benefits "if caring for a child". But the maximum the family would get is limited to some number - I think based on the husband's record in this scenario.

I'm 99% sure it doesn't apply to basic husband / wife claiming situations.

Last edited:
The implication is that both husband and wife are claiming on their own earnings records. In that case, the family maximum doesn’t apply. As noted above, it’s only when dealing with family members claiming on a single individual’s record.

What does opensocialsecurity.com say? especially about DW claiming at 62... though that sounds right to me.

Agree with others that the $2,800 isn't relevant in your situation.

If she claimed at 62 and you at 65, when you pass she would step into the shoes of your $3,000 benefit and her $1,500 benefit would go away... though technically I think she continues to get $1,500 based on her own work record and a $1,500 survivor benefit as a result of having been married to you.

Back
Top Bottom