You Know That You Have settled Into Retirement.........

When you forget about Sunday night leading into Monday morning......

When you hear a traffic report on the car radio and appreciate that you no longer need to care because you aren't commuting any more - JOY!

And when you don't have to think about what time to set the alarm for before you go to bed because you no longer set an alarm.

I love retirement! [emoji322]

Trash? Aren't you going to recycle them?

10 cents per bottle (for beer) is added on at the till here, but is paid back if you return the empties, so, I save them and cash them in every now and then. It's not out of the ordinary to see a pickup truck at the beer store returning 20 or 30 - 24 packs of empties for cash.

Alas, there is no deposit on bottles either in my state or the nearest other state. So they just go in the recycle bin.

I often wonder why.

DH and I have gotten into a routine of walking, working part time, exploring our new home, and had an opportunity to put our woodworking projects in a gallery. Once they mentioned having regular vendor meetings, we went back and took everything out! We don't have time for that crap!

When I was working full-time, I never really thought about mortality. Nowadays, I cross each day off the calendar to remind myself that my days are numbered. Why didn't I think about this when I was younger? Perhaps because work took up so much time that my off time was spent trying to enjoy life rather than think about death? Dunno. 😕

When the very nice waiter or waitress at a restaurant smiles as we leave, and says "Have a nice day"... and I respond, "We will, and you too!" I feel so awkward and guilty saying that, because they are at WORK at what I imagine would be a tedious and tiring job, and I am retired and going off to do whatever I want to.

Haha, I did that just this afternoon!

I'm only just over six months in so I can't say I'm "settled in" yet, but I'm working on it. I caught myself saying to DW "I don't have to go to work tomorrow" again today. :)

When I was working full-time, I never really thought about mortality. Nowadays, I cross each day off the calendar to remind myself that my days are numbered. Why didn't I think about this when I was younger? Perhaps because work took up so much time that my off time was spent trying to enjoy life rather than think about death? Dunno. 😕
Frank and I have decided that all teenagers think they are immortal. It took me a few decades for that to wear off. :D

I knew we settled in, when my wife returned from her comprehensive physical with her concierge doctor. She was distraught, "I failed my memory test!", she said. "They asked me the day and date, and I didn't know!"

We have arrived!!

When my (dear, departed) mother was in her 80's, her doctor did a memory test by asking who the last five Presidents and Vice Presidents were. She couldn't do it but got really mad. She said, "Why don't you ask me about something that I care about?" Then as an example she recited past share prices of IBM for quite a while back. After checking, he gave her a pass on the memory test. :LOL:

Other than the occasional doctor appointment, we never have anything scheduled. I had to write on the calendar when our vacation is so we don't forget to go!

when I no longer remembered all of the tax filing deadlines. This year I happened to look at the calendar last Friday and realized that it was tax filing day (corporate) and then smiled that I was not involved.

when I no longer remembered all of the tax filing deadlines. This year I happened to look at the calendar last Friday and realized that it was tax filing day (corporate) and then smiled that I was not involved.
Oh wow can I relate to that!!

My biggee is that I need to look at my phone to see if I'm driving 2 grandkids to school the next day ( Mondays and Thursdays)

I almost always recall the day, but the date has gotten progressively more difficult to recall within a day or two. I rarely look at a calendar, so there's that. Maybe I'm actually going into dementia, but if so, it feels pretty good. YMMV

Just went through my last 9/15 deadline and am coming up on my last 10/15 one. Retirement date tentatively planned for 5/31/18, so still have the biggie of April 15th for one more time. Looking forward to forgetting these too!

I have mentioned several points that I can think of in regards to settling into retirement. The most recent one for me was one of our newer neighbors happened to catch me at the mailbox around 10 this AM. In our discussions, he mentioned that he w*rks from home and asked if I do the same since he's seen more countless times out in the yard during normal w*rk hours. I just grinned and said, 'yes, and it's great'. Perhaps in time, this new neighbor will learn the truth. :)

When my (dear, departed) mother was in her 80's, her doctor did a memory test by asking who the last five Presidents and Vice Presidents were. She couldn't do it but got really mad. She said, "Why don't you ask me about something that I care about?" Then as an example she recited past share prices of IBM for quite a while back. After checking, he gave her a pass on the memory test. [emoji23]
+1

Kinda.

When DF was 95 he had the test. He'd already told us he'd been hiding his issues for years. He was DMs caretaker and had to be OK.

My sister was his caregiver at this time and she was convinced DF couldn't pass.

His doc asked about past Presidents! Haha! DF was a very strong believer in XYZ party, had been his whole life. He proceeded to give the doc his opinion on every President back to 1940 in very colorful words.

He really was demented, the test has some holes.

When you lose that work context and stop saying "every day is like Saturday"

When this just feels like your normal life and you can't really remember or fathom what it was like to go to work every day. It happened very gradually for me.

Background: I FIRE'ed about 14 months ago from being a school principal.

Saturday evening, my wife and I were playing cribbage, which we have regularly done for over 25 years. During the game, i must have had a pensive look on my face which my wife had always recognized (as worry about my students, problems with personnel, achievement scores pressure, etc). When she asked me what was on my mind, I replied, "I am trying to decide if I should take those two empty beer bottles out to the trash now or after dinner".

I love retirement.:D

I had the same gig retiring 7 years ago... Just got rehired this week. They had a part time job at school they couldnt fill, and I said call me if you cant find anyone else to do it....Well a month later they called... Looks like I am only retired 5 days a week the rest of this year...

When I go to the food store, it is full of people and then realize it is a weekend day.

Before I retired, I disliked shows that had to do with crime or law. I’d pick them apart in the first 10 minutes and change channels. I must now be settled into retirement as I found a new one called For the People and it had me rolling! Not sure if the show will make it but I’m able to enjoy it in a non-critical light.

Edit to correct show name.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom