Young Dreamers don't stop buying now.

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you young dreamers are averaging into the market - don't stop now. You will look back at this time as a great buying opportunity. If you stop your investments now you will most likely buy when stocks are higher and regret it.

I am retired and started averaging into the market last May and am still doing it. Most of my cash money will be fully averaged into the market by the end of this year. Do I wish I waited until today to begin - yes - I was off by about 8 months.

Stick with your plan.

I think others who are retired would agree with me.

As of 1/21 I am down by 7.6% of my mutual funds cost basis.

My investment allocation is below - I will be moving my other money into my mutual funds over the next few years.
So as you can see while I am retired; my investment plan is like a young working person.

One thing that makes me think that this decline will be short lived is how it is behaving. The sell off has been short and deep - a sharp pain. So this might not last long. If it was a slow sell off it might indicate a slow grind down that would inflict a lot long term pain.

If you are continuing to invest you might want to let others know so that they don't feel alone.

26.7% Mutual Funds 25.0% Cash 48.4% Foreign Exchange 100%

Yep. Looks as if this is shaping up to be the biggest after Christmas stock sale in the past 50 years or so.
At last, a word of sanity after all that doom and gloom on another thread. I'm still debating 11500. To buy or just watch.

$1k a month into the market, same as usual. I know it must take a lot more mental fortitude when you are in the withdrawal phase! :)

I'm buying monthly. I picked up some GRMN last month and just bought some MIDD this morning. To buy and immediately lose 10-20% does hurt, especially being relatively new to investing. I have read enough to believe that you can make out pretty well in the long run by buying when everyone else is selling. I just hope that I'm buying the right things :)

I'm buying monthly, not as much as I would like, but definitely buying monthly. I have lots of time for this to pay out.

Still working, investing, and sticking with my asset allocation. I think (hope) most of my fellow Young Dreamers are doing the exact same thing.

After putting my full 2008 Roth IRA contribution to work in the market on 1/2/08 and watching it drop about 8% and with all the muttering about a 500 point drop in the Dow today, I went ahead and asked Vanguard to start me a taxable account with an additional several $K, hoping to get today's closing price. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way and I'll get the closing price on Thursday. Oh well.

2Cor521

Yeah, still DCA-ing here. My only regret is that I do not have more money to put into the market right now. It is very tempting to dip into the Rainy Day Fund, but I need my sleep at night.

It is very tempting to dip into the Rainy Day Fund, but I need my sleep at night.

Oddly enough, I find that my required rainy day fund for comfortable sleeping has increased of late...

Still DCA-ing as usual. Strangely enough I am not bothered one little bit (upset or excited). About 6 months ago, I have decided to increase our fixed income to 20% over next 12-18 months. It looks like we'll get there a bit faster...

Yup, still DCA'ing same as before. I have a long time to go before retirement, so I'm not too hung up about stock market drops, even large ones. The only concern I have is things getting bad enough that I no longer have an income stream to invest. :eek:

I am 23 and putting enough in my 401k each month to max it out by the end of the year. I would love to see a decline over the next several years so I can accumulate, but not decline enough that I lose my job. ;)

I am still putting money in the market. I am DCAing into retirement accounts and VCAing into taxable accounts as usual. The wife is getting a bonus at the end of the week and it will get invested as well as soon as it hits our brokerage account. Quite frankly I am not worried about putting more money to work in the market right now. Our investing horizon is quite long and I think that in the long run we won't regret it. Our emergency fund could use some more padding, but when I see the kind of interest rates I will earn on that money in a few months and the kind of inflation we have right now, I don't really have an incentive to add much money to our savings.

I just DCAed into the 60-inch plasma TV market. I think the valuation is way out of whack, but I couldn't resist. Just kidding! :)

I am buying and will continue to buy. I keep telling people that 10 years from now we will all be wishing we had invested more now. This downturn could very easily take a few years off my working life by giving me more later.

Remember buy low, sell high

Yeah, still DCA-ing here. My only regret is that I do not have more money to put into the market right now. It is very tempting to dip into the Rainy Day Fund, but I need my sleep at night.

Don't sweat it. Truth is, no one really knows whether the next few days/weeks/months will prove to be a tremendous buying opportunity or a 'falling knife'. In the circumstances, it's probably prudent to stick with regularly investing and not worry about timing the market.

My monthly investment went in as usual. On a positive note the recent decline has brought my stock:bond asset allocation to target!

DD

Most of my current net worth is attributable to the bursting of the tech bubble. I lost about 35% of the money I had on 1/1/2000 but off of a small base. I continued to buy shares in 2000, 2001, and 2002 through my 401k with a 6% company match. I then made 38% in 2003 off of a much higher base and earned back way more than I had previously lost. Five years of great returns later and it is worth a whole lot :D

Oh, the market is down right now?

Seriously though (although, I didn't really know it was down), that's good advice Dex.

“Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful” - Warren Buffett

Back
Top Bottom