young guy from ohio!

cshaw07

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hey everyone, my name is Curtis, age 23, and I live in (you guessed it) Ohio. I graduated high school in 2007 and went to a tech school to be a biomedical equipment tech. Graduated from tech school and got my first "big boy" job at age 19. I've been doing that ever since making decent money for a 19 (now 23) year old especially living where I live with the cost of living being low. Working every day 40hrs a week is NOT for me. The money is nice but I value my time more than my work does! So in 2012 I bought three single family three bedroom rental properties. I've had them since May and other than one bad tenant everything has gone relatively smoothly and I must say being a landlord/property manager is definitely for me. I was recently asked to buy a duplex in the same town as my other three homes and though I have the money for it to pay cash, I'm still on the fence about it. That brings me to here, but I'll ask my questions in a more specific forum area.

Any way, I just wanted to say hello and that this is a very good website.

Welcome from another Ohioan. I'm just north of Akron.

Welcome aboard, sounds like you've got a plan, and much earlier than most of your peers I suspect. I've never had income producing RE but it looks like a smart approach to me if you have the skills. And I have BIL who is generously set for life thanks to his RE holdings.

I also lived near Columbus for 10 years, other than the winter weather we always liked Columbus (much better than Cleve or Cinn IMO) and thought it was a 'best kept secret' among Midwestern cities.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I feel I'm doing pretty well for myself considering my age, but I'm always looking for something better. I really enjoy this rental business, I'm starting a property management company for myself and plan to increase my units for rent until I don't need to work a 9-5 job anymore. Hopefully I can do that by age 30!

And you're very right on the most of my peers thing. I LOVE talking about personal finance but all my friends hate it, yet another reason why I'm here!

Well I thank you for that! I posted my question as well as my asset/liability/income information in the young dreamers section.

Landlord and the money to pay cash for a duplex at 23 years old huh. How did you save that kind of cash. Where do you put it all?

Oh and great work!

I really didn't use much of my own cash at all, I owe on all of my properties. The money that they bring in however is significantly higher than what I spend a month on them. That and they are all in a low income neighborhood so they were cheap. So I take the excess rental income and use it to pay back on the houses creating more equity, then when I want to buy another I use some of my own cash and take the equity back out of the ones I own to buy another. It's a slow process at the beginning, but after you have a few of them and if your rental income to rental debt ratio is in your favor enough things can speed up quick! And thank you!

Fellow Ohioian here. Live in Lakewood and work in downtown Cleveland. Grew up in Southeast rural Ohio near a small town called Lewisville.

Back
Top Bottom