Your avg yearly savings over the course of your career

When I divide our net worth by the sum of my working years and my wife's, we came out OK, but not as well as a few people here. Darn, perhaps I did not save enough or was not good investor, or both.

Well, we raised and put two children through college loan-free and without public assistance or scholarship - they are gainfully employed in professional jobs now, thank you - so that might explain our weaker showing.

Absolutely true. I'm at the other end of the college spectrum - my 529 accounts are part of my net worth since they haven't been spent yet.

(Just in case anyone cares - I don't include the 529's in my retirement plans - other than the idea that I need to keep contributing because I'm not quite there for fully funding their college.)

45 years old.

$947,000/23 years working= $41,173/yr

meh

If I add the home equity:
$1,385,000/23 years working= $66,217/yr

Not so bad, but I do have a tendency to always be a little disappointed in myself. Does anyone else feel this way? One the one hand, I know that given my age, and the fact that I have needed to support a family of 4 on a single income, that our current level of savings is fairly good. There is however a part of me that is continually dissatisfied, but perhaps this isn't such a bad thing. I think feeling this way over the years has motivated me to save more than I might have otherwise. I'm guessing that at least some of you can relate :)

I've been flirting with $1,000,000 in investments for awhile now, but it just seems like it will never happen. :) I'm feeling the need for some kind of immediate reward now, so I've decided to transfer $22,000 to my bank account in order to pay off my mortgage. Tomorrow. Of course this will move me father away from the million dollar milestone, but knowing that I've never have to make another mortgage payment for the rest of my life will feel great.

Maximum $40,883.12
Average $9,031.27
Median $5,865.79
Minimum $0.00
Over the years 1988-2011. Does not include employer match.

Last edited:
You know, i've been watching this thread and didnt even bother working mine out, knowing it would be small since i got off to a slow start saving. I finally did the division, surprised to say its 28k a year. 16 years of working, not quite as many saving. I was quite happy with that number, i just turned 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

About $70k a year (including growth of investments but excluding house appreciation), averaged over 23 years.

Back
Top Bottom