Your Best of Worst Investments YTD?

FIREd

Moderator Emeritus
So the end of the year is fast approaching, which investments have performed the best in your portfolio YTD, and which performed the worst? If I remember correctly, many TV pundits were predicting at the beginning of the year that International stocks (especially Europe and Japan) and US large caps would perform best in 2007.

For me:
top winners: FICDX (canadian stocks) up 45%, and VEIEX (Emerging markets), up about 44%, followed by commodities at about 30%.
But all international equity funds in my portfolio did quite well this year (21-27% YTD on average).

All US equity funds did OK for me, with growth definitely beating value. Best US equity Fund was FAIRX (mid/large cap blend/growth), up 18%. Mid cap growth returned the most YTD in my portfolio. Large/mid/small cap value returned the least.

Losers for the year: Definitely REITs (VGSIX), down about 9% and company stock (down a whopping 65% YTD :eek:)

For bonds, best returns were for global bonds up about 10% YTD, the worst returns were for my high yield bond fund up only about 3%.

So it looks like the pundit's predictions weren't too far off this year!

So what about you? What are you winners and losers YTD?

I have had about 10% of my retirement portfolio this year in Southeast Asia (FSEAX: 70% YTD) and another 10% in Latin America (FLATX: 48% YTD). Gee, can I count on these funds keeping this pace for several more years? It sounds like the FA's in the last thread I was reading would try to make me believe it.

Worst is my allocation to REITs (down about 10%). My smaller holding in international REITs (EGLRX) is up about 16%, though.

Best are emerging markets (EEM) +42%, Natural Resources (UMESX) +38.5% and Tocqueville Gold (TGLDX) +29%. The international fund in my 401K (FDIVX) is up 21%.

Overall, I'm up about 10% YTD.

Best: China (fxi) - up ~100% when I rebalanced last week.

Others in the team photo - EM (VWO), Pacific ex-Japan (EPP?) and Gold (GLD)

Worst: REITs I think, with small cap value close behind.

BEST through 10/31/07:

Janus Orion +36.61% YTD (+43.93% annualized) followed by a close second by Vanguard Energy +35.06% YTD (+42.07% annualized)

WORST through 10/31/07:

Vanguard Small-Cap Value Index +1.07% YTD (+1.28% annualized)

Overall annualized average ROI: 14%
Weighted Average Beta: 0.75
Weighted Average Expense Ratio: 0.40%

My best is my testosterone account.. up 250% this year... I am trading a LOT picking off the ups and downs of a few stocks... been very lucky this year even with a few loser picks...

My worse is my company stock which I own a lot... flat...

Bests: PRASX (new asia) up 70.8% ytd
PRLAX (latin america) up 56.47%
VGENX (energy) up 36.32%

Worst: PTRAX (bond fund) up 6.34% ytd

Last edited:
REITs are definitely the worst, down 13% YTD. Fortunately, I've been trimming aggressively since 2003 (as dictated by my asset allocation), including not reinvesting dividends. Did the final trim this past January when REITs were still flying high. Come next Jan, I'll be adding.

Best - AAPL, which my husband still holds in high concentration in his SEPP-IRA.

Audrey

My best is my testosterone account.. up 250% this year... I am trading a LOT picking off the ups and downs of a few stocks... been very lucky this year even with a few loser picks...

Yeah, but what is your testosterone?

Best - Vanguard Energy Fund - Which a lot of you seem to own as well

Worst - (From my high risk stock sandbox) - Westwood One (WON) - down 67%

RJS

Best - T. Rowe Price New Asia up 67% YTD also very nice returns on Natural Resouce and Precious Metals funds.

Worst - 2 Canadian O&G trusts down about 40% since 2005

Best, by far, is VWO, up 32.86 even after yesterday's pullback.

Worst, and the only negative, is IJR, -0.49%

Back
Top Bottom