Your "Most beautiful places"

My favorite place is the Eagle Cap Wilderness in the Wallowa Mtns. of Eastern Oregon. It's an incredible experience to backpack there; absolutely beautiful.

This is a great thread, please keep the posts coming!

Actually those are called bluebonnets. Not bluebells. But you are forgiven since Blue Bell is actually another altogether beautiful thing in Texas. It's our little creamery that dishes out portions of ice cream heaven exclusively for us Texans living through another summer of temperature purgatory.

Sorry, hate to break the bad news...but Bluebell's not exclusive to Texas anymore. It's spread out considerably around the country now. Not 100% coverage yet, but it's getting there. I can buy it in NC when I go back to visit family there. They didn't have it in WI yet when I spent a year in 08-09, but I think it was all the way to Illinois, if I'm not mistaken. Or, at least close to there. When I first moved to Austin in 1981, you could only buy it in Texas, and the creamery in Brenham was almost as sacred to Texans as the Alamo...lol. Personally, I'm happy I can get Bluebell in other states now, since it's hand's down my favorite ice cream. I'm especially fond of Rocky Road.:dance:

I lived in Austin & Bastrop, and used to love the drive between the two because of all the great wildflowers. When I bought 3 acres near Smithville to build a house, it was covered with bluebonnets & Indian paintbrushes... I reall miss that stuff. I was recently told that some kind of fungus or something had killed of a lot of the flowers. Hate to hear that.:(

Last edited:
Sorry, hate to break the bad news...but Bluebell's not exclusive to Texas anymore. It's spread out considerably around the country now. Not 100% coverage yet, but it's getting there. I can buy it in NC when I go back to visit family there. They didn't have it in WI yet when I spent a year in 08-09, but I think it was all the way to Illinois, if I'm not mistaken. Or, at least close to there. When I first moved to Austin in 1981, you could only buy it in Texas, and the creamery in Brenham was almost as sacred to Texans as the Alamo...lol. Personally, I'm happy I can get Bluebell in other states now, since it's hand's down my favorite ice cream. I'm especially fond of Rocky Road.:dance:

No no no, have you tried their Caramel Turtle Fudge? It's Bluebell heaven. :D Haven't had any in probably 15 years due to my weight problem but it is sheer nirvana IMO.

No no no, have you tried their Caramel Turtle Fudge? It's Bluebell heaven. :D Haven't had any in probably 15 years due to my weight problem but it is sheer nirvana IMO.

Thanks a lot! Now, I have to go try some..... Being diabetic with no willpower, I will absolutely blame it on you! jk..... Thanks for the tip!

Thanks a lot! Now, I have to go try some..... Being diabetic with no willpower, I will absolutely blame it on you! jk..... Thanks for the tip!

YW, and I hope you like it as much as I do (did). I am willpower-challenged too, which is why I haven't bought a gallon and then served myself moderate/small amounts once a week or so. I'd rather do without than eat it all at once and end up a couple of pounds heavier.

Sorry for the threadjack, everyone! Bluebell is in Brenham, Texas, which is a beautiful place indeed but not one of my most beautiful places.

The Little Colorado river inside the Grand Canyon. You can only get there by rafting through the Canyon (or possibly after an arduous hike down from the rim somewhere, but I don't even know if there are any trails).

Dissolved minerals in the Little Colorado paint it an electric blue. It's like Caribbean water inside the Grand Canyon. By far the most stunning thing I've ever seen.

Attachments

• Little Colorado Grand Canyon.jpg
    Little Colorado Grand Canyon.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Gone4Good said:
The Little Colorado river inside the Grand Canyon.
Forgot about that spot!
And on a good day, the current flows fast enough that you can shoot the rapids without a kayak. Just lie down in the water and let it carry you through about 200 feet of rapids. Amazing, wonderful place.

Great thread. I agree with several already mentioned. Neuschwanstein castle, Amalfi Coast, Napali coast on Kauai.

A couple I really love not yet mentioned. On top of a couple different ski areas over looking clear blue lake Tahoe in the winter. And sitting on the top level lounge of the Four Seasons hotel overlooking Sydney Harbor. You look right down on the Opera House and across the bay to the bridge. Also love the White Mountains in NH in fall or winter.

places

I would second Grace Bay Beach on Provo. Yosemite, the Grand Canyon and Muir Woods are all also amazing, although maybe not quite in that top echelon.

I'd add Iceland to the list -- the main town of Reykjavik, the glaciers, Thingvellir, northern lights. Landing as dawn breaks after an overnight flight from the US is surreal -- the landscape around the airport looks more like the moon than earth.

Switzerland around Lucern and up in the mountains at Zermatt is pretty incredible, too.

Machu Picchu is high on the to-see list.

We thought Hawaii was over-rated.

Boca del Toro back in 1999 was nice (no idea about now) Some parts of Costa Rica are beautiful and it was a relatively cheap and safe place to visit. Thailand is also relatively cheap and safe. Seems to have something for almost everyone. Japan has great culture, food, history and scenery. The best places are often not on the beaten path and part of the fun is in the journey.

I agree (and have first-hand knowledge of the following):

Yosemite National Park
Grand Canyon National Park
Big Sur (I used to live in the SF Bay area, and we would go down there on the weekend sometimes...just beautiful with lots of wildlife to see (sea otters and sea lions and Gray Whales at the right time of year, etc.)
Yellowstone National Park
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore

I will add:
Grand Tetons National Park
Sanibel Island, FL (one of the best shelling beaches in the world)
Cape Hatteras National Seashore in the Outer Banks, NC
Mammoth Cave National Park, KY
San Francisco, CA (the most beautiful city I've seen; certain areas of course)

Want to see:
Sequoia National Park
Redwood National Park
Acadia National Park
Badlands National Park and Custer STATE Park
Arches National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Big Bend National Park (My retired parents are volunteer Rangers there in the fall and winter months)

Kokee (sp?) state park in Hawaii
Cascade mountains
Sedona
Hong Kong harbor at night

562691_3116119276098_1821449309_n.jpg

This photo I took of Lake Coeur d'Alene speaks for itself.

3605887450_b91d9ab3ee.jpg

I am fortunate to live in an area known as "The Palouse." Above is a sample of the hills around here in spring.

The photos in earlier posts are spectacular.

Still, I do not know how to compare one beautiful place to another and to rank them. Sometimes when I looked back at my old travel photos, some places were special to me because I remembered the special moments then. Most of the time, it was because I was there and experienced it with my sweetheart.

Last edited:
The Grand Canyon is at the top of my list. Then, some beaches in the Dominican Republic. I also love Hong Kong for its skyline.

Bdroc, where in the Cascades were you?
I've never actually been in the Cascade Mountains but I flew over them several times during the winter on my way to and from China. The view from the sky is majestic and that's why I included it on my list.

I am fortunate to live in an area known as "The Palouse." Above is a sample of the hills around here in spring.

I lived in Post Falls/Cd'a area both your photos capture the beauty of the area.

Sedona
Mackinac Island
Aruba
Acadia Nat'l Park
Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park

The short list includes Glacier (DH has been there) Bryce Canyon and Napa or Sonoma. (family wedding there next year)

Wow, great photos... I agree with many of the choices but will endorse two:
The beaches of Pukhet, Thailand
Iguaçu Falls, Brazil

And add 5 more:
Phi Phi Islands, Thailand
Krabi, Thailand
Loch Awe, Scotland (even in the rain)
The south of Ilhabela, Brazil (pick a high spot for the most spectacular views)
The upper reaches of Pecos River, New Mexico

Sedona
Mackinac Island
Aruba
Acadia Nat'l Park
Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park

The short list includes Glacier (DH has been there) Bryce Canyon and Napa or Sonoma. (family wedding there next year)

Aruba?? Beautiful place?? Don't ge me wrong, we love it and go to Aruba every year for 2 weeks, booking next year's vacation the minute we get back home! But beautiful... ... nah!

My list includes Bryce for beauty and Dazu (China) and the Egyptian pyramids for absolutely stunning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom