Your Own Personal Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives - Please Share.

Quanjude restaurant in Beijing China has the best Peking Duck with plum sauce. CCP brought President Nixon, President Bush, Fidel Castro and other Heads of State to eat there because this restaurant was opened in the Qing dynasty and invented Peking Duck. Generally the best Korean Restuarants are in Korea, the best Thai Restuarants are in Thailand, etc for Asian food. I did not find this to be true for Italian Restuarants which the best Italian Restuarants are in Philadelphia where there is a large population of Italian Americans. Ralph’s restaurant is one of the better ones since President Biden, Taylor Swift and other famous people would have Italian food there. Roy’s restaurant in San Francisco has a dish called “Misoyaki Butterfish” which is the best fish dinner that is humanly possible to make. Roy’s restaurant originated from Hawaii and I have never been disappointed.

Uh oh - I think Roy's in San Francisco is closed according to online sources.

Our go-to is a little Taqueria in Auburn, CA called El Portal.

When winter snow flies and Interstate 80 gets jammed up … or worse closed … that’s the spot we stop for a hearty meal before continuing up the mountain.

https://www.elportal-taqueria.com/auburn-ca.html

13354 Lincoln Way, Auburn, CA 95603

Nothing fancy but very good and reasonably priced dining.

Oh, more in the spirit of this thread than my last post, if you're ever in Maryland, the Sunshine General Store (and gas station!) makes one of the best hamburgers/cheeseburgers I've ever had! About 40 minutes from Baltimore or DC, but a lot of people think it's worth the trip.

2 places - not dives but worthy of a stop

Two places I remember from business travel in Midwest and would always stop in. Not dives, but casual restaurants.

Upstream Brewing in downtown Omaha in the Old Market area. Upstream Brewing Company, 514 South 11th Street, Omaha, NE 68102. Best Beer Braised Pot Roast. Rest of menu good too.

Other place is Zombie Burger 300 E Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA 50309. Tons of Gourmet over the top burgers and eclectic milk shakes with tons of different mixins. Can even add alcohol to the shake. cool zombie inspired graphics and decor.

Gave me another idea and will post separately ...dog friendly craft breweries!

Back
Top Bottom