Your recommended pickup truck accessories

Nahh...
attachment.php
Notice that is says 103 is fair... :LOL: Just wait until it gets hot in August.

Things I'm considering:
- Tonneau cover.
Either a cap or a tonneau. I went with a cap since we sometimes haul a lot of crap on camping or fishing trips.
- Some type of bed mat.
- Maybe a bedliner.
I went with a bed liner
- Running boards. [
22 years ago when we bought the truck, we sprung right up into the cab with no problems. Now, in our early 70's, kinda wish we had running boards.
- Protective 3M plastic on the hood.
Nah. It's your "truck." Doll up your Miata.
- Bike holders over the tailgate, or possibly on a rack held by the trailer hitch.
Depends on whether you'll be towing while hauling the bikes. I'm struggling to figure out how to haul two bikes while pulling the Aliner. If you're not going to tow, a rack which attaches via the 2" receiver would be the way to go IMHO.

My best accessory is DW. When we're down in Arkansas chasing trout on the White and Northfork Rivers, she sits in the middle, right next to me, so we fit right in!

Here's my 22 year old F150 with about 130k miles on it. Regular cab, short bed, 5 speed manual, V8. It's a fiberglass cap with a pretty secure locking arrangement on the door and is painted to match the truck. There are Yakima mounting plates for our canoe carrier permanently mounted on the roof of the cap. It's been a good truck for a long time. Very basic. Very reliable.

Attachments

• P1010061.JPG
    P1010061.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Ronstar,
Damn that cover with matching is pretty. You have me second guessing myself.

If I don't like the roll up tonneau cover, I will have to sell it, and blow that dough.
After buying a new truck, I must be hunkering down in cheapskate mode.

JP

Youbet,
You said "Nah. It's your "truck." Doll up your Miata.".

I found a local guy that installs these very reasonably. I got his name from my local body shop.

It prevents rock chips that turn into rust.

Maybe that won't be an issue, because my truck is going to be wintering in Florida.

JP

Carguy and youbet,
I easily installed OEM running boards on my wifes SUV. They connected directly to the factory threaded holes on the frame.
1-2 hours going slow, and drinking beer.

The OEM units for my new truck were $650 not counting shipping. I found a very similar looking set with great reviews on Amazon for $200.
I'm giving those a try for now.

I'm with Ronstar. No snow hanging onto thg he running boards in Florida.

JP

That was REWahoo who was not worried about snow.

Aja8888,
Then adding the clear 3M tape to prevent chips in the metal front fenders and hood will be a good idea.

What do you consider inland?

If salt is in the air and rain, I would think anywhere in Florida would be bad for rusting out cars.

Cars basically bath in salt 5 months a year on Minnesota roads.

JP
Inland, OK, near the ocean, RUST!:D

If your truck has the auto start/stop system where the engine turns off at every red-light, then you might want to add an auto start/stop eliminator.

I also added a bed rug and a bakflip bed cover. Perfect for hauling stuff like a huge trunk.

Aja8888,
Then adding the clear 3M tape to prevent chips in the metal front fenders and hood will be a good idea.

What do you consider inland?

If salt is in the air and rain, I would think anywhere in Florida would be bad for rusting out cars.

Cars basically bath in salt 5 months a year on Minnesota roads.

JP

Orlando is one place.

Grey-son,
I was going to just buy a fitted rubber mat for the bed floor. I'm not a fan of the spray on liners.

I ran into ads for the Bedrugs. They looked very nice. I've never seen one in person.

I ended up ordering one of these, and a roll up Access brand cover.

I cheaped out getting the paint matching hard cover that Ronstar has.

JP
If your truck has the auto start/stop system where the engine turns off at every red-light, then you might want to add an auto start/stop eliminator.

I also added a bed rug and a bakflip bed cover. Perfect for hauling stuff like a huge trunk.

For running boards, consider the retractable power Amp Research steps. I have these on my Jeep Wrangler and like them a lot:
https://youtu.be/JazQPtsZzvk

Spray in bedliner is the way to go vs the old hard plastic drop in type. Rubber bed mat is good to help things from sliding around as much, but there are different spray in textures to help with that instead.

38Chevy,
Those automated running boards look awesome.

How do they tap into the trucks wiring hardware for power and control signals?

I just bought some decent looking non OEM black running boards.

JP
For running boards, consider the retractable power Amp Research steps. I have these on my Jeep Wrangler and like them a lot:
https://youtu.be/JazQPtsZzvk

Spray in bedliner is the way to go vs the old hard plastic drop in type. Rubber bed mat is good to help things from sliding around as much, but there are different spray in textures to help with that instead.

I like the spray in bed liners, and weather tech floor mats, but no running boards for me as im 6'6" and they're just not needed for me.

If you trailer much a back up camera is very useful, as is a trailer brake controller, if your trailer has brakes.

I have a chevy Silverado now and its my 6th truck. All fords and Chevys.

Bedrug bed liner. Weatherproof and a LOT easier on your knees when you have to climb in....

I did a lot of research and absolutely LOVE mine.

I have a 3/4 ton and the tailgate seems like it's 4 ft off the ground sometimes. So I installed one of these:

westin-truck-pal-tailgate-ladder-folding-collage.jpg

38Chevy,
Those automated running boards look awesome.

How do they tap into the trucks wiring hardware for power and control signals?

I just bought some decent looking non OEM black running boards.

JP

The power just comes off a +12v fused wire from your battery or in the fuse block. The trigger to make the steps go down and up uses the dome light circuit. There is a small control box that I have mounted in the engine compartment, and it also has small LED lights to illuminate the steps. All the wires go to that box and then to the steps. The actual step motor is very similar to a power window motor (I think that is actually what is, just reapplied).

The steps work good for DW on the Jeep since it is lifted suspension and big tires. I also appreciate them, although I could get by without them, they do make getting in and out easier. Only drawback is they are not cheap, cost a lot more than std running boards; or what are more common on Jeeps: rocker rails.

Last edited:
I have a 3/4 ton and the tailgate seems like it's 4 ft off the ground sometimes. So I installed one of these:

Does that ladder easily detach when you want to slide something big into the truck bed, like perhaps a full size dresser?

Does that ladder easily detach when you want to slide something big into the truck bed, like perhaps a full size dresser?

I would say no. It attached with 4 self tapping screws which are easily removed, but the tailgate metal is thin so not sure how many times you could do that.

I bought a new F150 STX SuperCrew truck last month after receiving a $3,000 coupon in the mail. Ended up paying $31K for a MSRP $45K truck after a bunch of sales incentive programs.

It came with the OEM bed liner and running boards that are about 4" higher than I would like. I bought a set of Huskyliner floormats and rear seat mat for $115--a great buy.

I would have liked a power seat, but it wasn't worth spending $4K more for a XLT. Otherwise, this truck is well equipped--enough options but not too many options. It also has 20" Michelins on beautiful aluminum wheels. Downside is the tailgate is just so tall--even higher than my old F250 2x4 truck.

I would like to have the three piece folding tonneau cover, but not for $850-1000. That's incredibly expensive for a 5.5' bed per square foot. Maybe I'll get a different style later.

I ended up with the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. I cannot believe in Sport Mode how incredibly quick this truck is--especially for the size of the engine under the hood. Getting 22.5 mpg in general driving.

Last edited:
I put a roll up cover on mine. I just haul things too frequently where the top needs to be open. Or where I need to get up in there to load stuff or find stuff. It does flop a bit when going fast down the interstate, but not too bad. This last pickup that I bought had a sprayed in liner from the factory. One of the advantages of buying a high end package. I really like the spray in liner over the floor mat, and especially over the plastic insert. Those trap moisture underneath them. With the spray-in, I can just take the power washer to it. The others would start rusting under the mat or liner, and that bugged me.

I would rather drive my pickup than the SUV, but DW does not like driving the pickup in parking lots. It is tougher to park, and the visibility is not as good.

I would say no. It attached with 4 self tapping screws which are easily removed, but the tailgate metal is thin so not sure how many times you could do that.
This would be a good application for a rivnut.

Just bought a used OEM trifold tonneau cover for my Colorado Z71. The seller even installed it for me. It has been on my wish list for a while. Having a lockable tailgate latch, provides some modicum of security for parking a chainsaw in the back of the bed. The back unpaved roads to my camp are often enough blocked by fallen trees.

just make sure it can do this, if necessary

Attachments

• 104849008_10214125246765793_5585895926745723067_o.jpg
    104849008_10214125246765793_5585895926745723067_o.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 22
been doing a LOT of yard projects after I FIRED 6 months ago and a good ol truck is a must have - that's 2 yards of topsoil, about 4000 pounds I found out later, small screwup but I unloaded about half of it immediately lol

Back
Top Bottom